Print Story It was not I but Mother Nature that failed
By lm (Sun Sep 07, 2014 at 04:30:36 PM EST) (all tags)
My official results for the 2014 Nation's TriDuoathlon are in.

I had registered for an Olympic distance triathlon. Mother Nature had other plans in mind. The Nation's Tri Facebook page had the following update.

Unfortunately, at 10:41 pm on Saturday night, the Department of Environment informed race officials of a significant sewage spill into the Potomac River just north of the race venue after the heavy rain fall. Due to the advised high risk posed to individuals we have made the decision in conjunction with local officials to cancel the swim portion of the event.

I've spent over a year training for this event.  Quite a bit of that time was in the water. Prior to early last fall, I've been swimming once or twice in the past twenty years. I'm bummed out about that swim being cancelled. But being bummed out does beat swimming through crap.

One of the comments on the Facebook page summed up the situation perfectly, ``Thanks a lot Obama.''

A few things surprised me. I did not expect so many people to have expensive bikes. Of the people that didn't, I was astonished by the number of hybrids and even more astonished by the number of people riding bikes that obviously didn't fit their bodies. I can understand not wanting to shell out for an expensive bike. Heck, I rode the race on a $500 road bike with a steel frame and clip on aero bars. But it fits me and I came close to finishing half way up the food chain for my age/gender division on the biking portion.

My average speed was 19.6mph according to the chips. Had it not for being stuck behind some slowpokes in no passing lanes, I think I could have come out averaging >20mph. I blame the speed on training on hills for what ended up being a very flat course.

Part of that course was I-395. That was a hoot, riding down the expressway.

My running time was great but it was very good for me. I kept my average pace well below 10 minute miles. Again, I blame training on hills.

An interesting thing about the race was that everyone's age was written on the back of their left calf so you could see everyone's age as you passed them or they passed you. I saw a few 70+ guys during the running portion. I didn't notice any 70+ women.

It was hard not to notice the woman 4 years my senior that blew past me during the run wearing a bikini. She was, uh, very well formed.

Funniest bit of the day is that some guy ran up to me during the running portion and says, `You know, you are allowed to put on shoes doing transition.' I guess he thought that I did not know that.

Oddly, I did not see anyone else running the race barefoot.

The constant cheering along the course was fun. Some people had some pretty great signs. "Go Random Stranger! I believe in YOU!" Or "Smile if you peed in the Potomac", which was really funny given that we skipped the swim.

Other signs were just desperate. "I really like your stamina. Call me." Well, stamina in endurance sports don't guarantee stamina in other activities, so ...

All in all, it was fun. Maybe next time I'll actually get to swim.

< Why there are no teetotal scofflaws | Once again I have been congradulated for my hard work. >
It was not I but Mother Nature that failed | 9 comments (9 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
not in the HOV lanes I hope by dev trash (4.00 / 2) #1 Sun Sep 07, 2014 at 06:09:34 PM EST
Unless you were carrying two other people.

I DON'T CARE ABOUT YOUR BALLS! ->clock
motorcycles can use it by wumpus (2.00 / 0) #7 Mon Sep 08, 2014 at 07:56:18 AM EST
why not bicycles?

Wumpus

WAay to go by riceowlguy (4.00 / 4) #2 Sun Sep 07, 2014 at 06:15:06 PM EST
If youre trying youre way ahead of the peope on the ouch.

As the Pinterest sayings go.

Ue, i am a ligggler drunk.

I've always wanted to be by lm (4.00 / 1) #3 Sun Sep 07, 2014 at 09:32:53 PM EST
... ahead of the people on the ouch.

Cicero, The Republic
nice jerb. by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #4 Sun Sep 07, 2014 at 11:01:50 PM EST

I went swimming Saturday by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #5 Mon Sep 08, 2014 at 07:21:00 AM EST
In the Atlantic. Last beach weekend of the year.

That was a heck of a frontal passage. Any storm with enough lightning that I can get a decent picture with a phone of the clouds lit up is pretty good.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

The picture by wiredog (4.00 / 1) #6 Mon Sep 08, 2014 at 07:27:25 AM EST
Here.

Also, the auto hdr on the Nexus 5 is 59th St. Ocean City, 0730pretty good.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Expensive bikes by riceowlguy (4.00 / 1) #8 Tue Sep 16, 2014 at 01:05:36 PM EST
I'm also a little dismayed at the kinds of bikes people ride around here, and I've never even done a formal race of any kind.  Riding a $3k+ carbon road bike around Houston streets for exercise seems nuts, unless those folks are going racing at other times.  Of course, it's their money and they should spend it on whatever makes them happy.  Still.

Steel is not a bad bike material at all.  I don't think a few extra pounds of static weight makes a big difference, and steel frames absorb shock better than aluminium and are more durable than carbon.

I think if I was going to do something dumb and drop serious money on a road bike I'd rather get a custom steel-framed bike than a fancy carbon thing.

I went to a speed clinic last night by lm (2.00 / 0) #9 Wed Sep 17, 2014 at 10:06:07 AM EST
Turns out that weight is even less important than I thought it was. With the exceptions of races that have serious climbing, reducing weight usually does next to nothing for the average racer.

On the other hand, aerodynamics makes a huge difference for anyone riding more than 10 to 15mph. Unfortunately, most of the folks making aerodynamic bikes aren't interested in using steel. Fortunately, there are quite a few things one can do to make a bike more aerodynamic without plunking down thousands for a new bike.

Long story short, most of any desire I had for a race only bike is now gone. If I keep racing, I might buy a set of wheels just for race day. But I think that with a bit of tweeking to my existing road bike, a serious racing bike would only offer marginal improvements over other things I can do.

Cicero, The Republic