Print Story Used Car Buying
By yankeehack (Fri Sep 19, 2014 at 11:17:30 AM EST) (all tags)
Feel old, as LO is supposed to get her license next week and I...am reluctantly looking at cars with her.

So, what do you guys know about high mileage Volvos?

Actually, I'm not looking, LO has taken it upon herself to look these past few months. She just forwards me the links she finds and we discuss them.

To answer the first question, no, we don't have a lead on a car in our family so that option is out.

My budget is up to 10K, but I'm hoping to go under that for the initial purchase as...we'll owe use tax.

LO found a Volvo SUV for sale in Philly - 2006 with about 90k miles on it from a private seller on Kelly Blue Book. They're trying to get 1k over KBB price (which is what a dealer would try to sell it for), but the CD player is broken as they stated on the listing and I'm pretty sure they didn't get the 90K service. But there is nearly new tires on the car.

Unfortunately, the seller's zip code is somewhere in North Philly, so I think me taking the car to a friendly garage is pretty much out.

I did a reverse lookup the listed phone number and it was a company phone of a global accounting firm, so...that is a good sign I think.

Thoughts? I'm going to try to contact the seller later today to see it this weekend.

...

In other news, junior year has started here, and it's all teenagery teendom, with drama, stress about classes, boys, drama, the future, etc.

LO was sick with what the pediatrician suggested was Hand Foot Mouth the first week of school, and she missed a few days. That sucked horribly, as she hates being sick. And it was gross, oh so gross. Also, although it did resolve itself without antibiotics as it was viral, LO HATED EVERY MINUTE and wants to get her tonsils out when she turns 18.

LO is also not doing crew this season, at first she wanted to try the sailing team, but we found out to our dismay that the "team", all two people from the school does not exist except to race on the weekends. Apparently there is an area racing series, but no one else we've talked to knows about it. Also, no one at the yacht club where the racing takes place (it's low rent) would answer any of our other scheduling questions. So, that ended that. I would not be surprised to learn that the racing is a tax write off for the club either.

Anyway, so LO is kicking around until ice hockey starts (rumors that it may or may not happen again this year) and she starts driving. She is also applying for part time work, but she hasn't heard back from the restaurants she applied to. It would be nice if she could land a job to make a little money to offset her expenses.

...

Work is work, and we're waiting to to wrap up details on our first partnership with a company that can get us into a lot of businesses. Everything else is up in the air in terms of almost getting deals with businesses. Currently, I'm working more in the app & figuring out how to use it from an end user perspective rather than the marketing stuff.

...

I had a nice date on Monday, older (15 yrs.) quiet fella who works as an exec for a Global 500 company. Drinks at a chain restaurant.

I have not heard from him since the date, and I am not chasing anyone either.

< NYC Get-Together, 10/2/2014 | Writing contest >
Used Car Buying | 16 comments (16 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
For $300 you could have had our minivan by georgeha (4.00 / 2) #1 Fri Sep 19, 2014 at 11:40:31 AM EST
Only 158k miles, and it's survived a T-boning from a snowplow (not a big snowplow, a pickup mounted one). It's got the kind of look that other drivers stay away from, so it's safe, and it's not likely to be stolen.

Lifeguarding is an awesome jog for eighteen_year_old, she's trying to do that for workstudy.

craigs list by sasquatchan (4.00 / 2) #2 Fri Sep 19, 2014 at 01:43:00 PM EST
really .. local seller, etc. How tied up are you/her in brand/model, "safety" and all that crap ? Because to quote a friend with a 22 year old - "used cars are expensive!" ..

Sold 2 cars very easily that way .. (One was ye olde wagoone, that something like 12 people emailed that day to say they wanted.. SMH.. )

Volvos be expensive, yo by riceowlguy (4.00 / 1) #3 Fri Sep 19, 2014 at 01:52:27 PM EST
A close friend had an early-90's Volvo that she kept on the road until about three years ago.  Towards the end there were a lot of things she just did without, like a working heater (which, to be honest, you don't really need in Houston, except when it rains and you'd like to defog the windows).  Out of warranty maintenance on Volvos is no cheaper than it would be on a BMW, Mercedes or Audi.

My brother's got a 1998 Volvo V40 by ambrosen (4.00 / 1) #4 Fri Sep 19, 2014 at 05:15:30 PM EST
Earlier in the year his mechanic spend the best part of two weeks trying to get it through emissions testing. He only charged for the parts, but it still came to €1000. I think it's at about 120K miles, though.

A Volvo SUV ? by marvin (4.00 / 3) #5 Fri Sep 19, 2014 at 10:13:47 PM EST
Why do you hate your daughter? A 2006 Volvo SUV is an expensive, old, high-mileage fuel-pig, that is guaranteed to be more difficult to drive or park, and will be far less nimble on the road. It comes with a higher capital cost, higher maintenance costs, faster depreciation and grossly higher fuel consumption, equating to roughly twice the lifecycle costs compared to a reasonable economy car. Everything from tires to brakes will cost more money.

$5k gets you a 2010 Toyota Yaris with 107k miles. $7400 gets a 2007 Civic Si, a ricer's dream. $10k is probably a new Hyundai, with comparable or better occupant protection to anything from 2006.

Look at this IIHS list from 2006. See what's missing? Volvo. See what is there instead? The 4-door Honda Civic.

In UKia by anonimouse (4.00 / 1) #8 Sat Sep 20, 2014 at 05:00:52 AM EST
10k is about £7500 in current exchange rates, which should give extensive choice in normal secondhand cars instead of the gas guzzling SUV tanks you USians seem to insist on driving.

Girls come and go but a mortgage is for 25 years -- JtL
$10k gives you a vast range of choices. by gmd (4.00 / 1) #9 Sat Sep 20, 2014 at 07:34:42 AM EST
 How about this for  just £6000?

gmd - HuSi's second most dimwitted overprivileged user.
What, no Bentleys? by marvin (2.00 / 0) #11 Sat Sep 20, 2014 at 10:49:43 AM EST
Rollers just seem so pretentious. It's like they're trying too hard.

They are almost identical. by gmd (2.00 / 0) #13 Sat Sep 20, 2014 at 02:20:41 PM EST
 Well the 70s and 80s incarnations are. I fail to see how something like this is any less try hard than the silver spirit.

gmd - HuSi's second most dimwitted overprivileged user.
IAWTP by Phil the Canuck (2.00 / 0) #14 Mon Sep 22, 2014 at 08:20:44 AM EST
At 10K you could put her in a small car a few years old (Civic, Elantra, Focus, etc.).  It will be a much better buy and safer to boot.  Once you hit around 2011 they'll all have traction and stability control, air bags out the wazoo, and that's when the front-quarter impact results started coming into vogue.  When they inevitably break you won't need a second mortgage to fix them.  Hell, the Hyundai is probably still under warranty.

2007 Civic Si is a Ricer's dream by riceowlguy (2.00 / 0) #15 Thu Oct 09, 2014 at 09:04:23 AM EST
Strangely enough, given my handle and my alma mater, a 2007 Civic Si is exactly what I drive.

I haven't put a fart can exhaust or done any engine map mods on it, though, so it's probably wasted on me.

I never understood riceboys by marvin (2.00 / 0) #16 Thu Oct 09, 2014 at 10:51:34 PM EST
Putting all of that money into decoration is silly. And how about those big whale-tail fins on a tiny import - because you're going to go over 200 often enough to really need that downforce.

It is probably a good thing that I've avoided cars with a rally heritage. I would be tempted to pour money into making a Subaru WRX go as fast as possible on the dirt. And then die a painful death after I spin out while drifting a gravel corner on a logging road at some ridiculous speed.

The Compact Disk player is broken? by ammoniacal (4.00 / 5) #6 Fri Sep 19, 2014 at 11:42:33 PM EST
GOOD GOD, WOMAN! DID YOU CHECK THE CONDITION OF THE BUGGY WHIP HOLSTER TOO?

we'll owe use tax by dev trash (4.00 / 1) #7 Sat Sep 20, 2014 at 01:50:22 AM EST
Sure she can get the tonsils removed but it'll still colonize the hand and feet.

I DON'T CARE ABOUT YOUR BALLS! ->clock
Ten large puts you close to entry level new cars by lm (4.00 / 2) #10 Sat Sep 20, 2014 at 09:04:08 AM EST
The Mitsubishi Mirage and the Chevy Spark are both within spitting distance of 10k.

Anyway, unless you know a good Volvo mechanic who is willing to sell you parts at cost, your 2006 is going to get very expensive once it needs any sort of repair.

If safety is of highest concern, look at some of recommended used cars in the price range from sites like Consumer Reports.  In the 10k and under category you should be able to pick up a variety of Toyota, Honda, Scion models from '06 or later or slightly older Acura and Infinity models.

Cicero, The Republic
Consumer Reports by jimgon (4.00 / 1) #12 Sat Sep 20, 2014 at 12:24:00 PM EST
 Seriously, check it out.

Young driver. You want front and side air bags. Most sedans built after 2007 will have them. Go reasonably cheap. This car is going to get damaged. Otherwise safety record is top priority.

---------------