Print Story PERT diagram software
By Merekat (Tue Aug 19, 2014 at 04:54:54 AM EST) (all tags)
Recognising that this is probably a niche question...

Looking for recommendations on software for creating PERT diagrams or mind maps, bonus points if they're on Mac, do not have to be free.

Strictly speaking we're supposed to do MS Project and GANTT charts. However, I find GANTT to be primitive and limited in what I need to express, and that it is better to derive a simplified GANTT from a mindmap or PERT diagram authoritative source.

(Actually the source problem is that we shoehorn into a project context lots of things which are not actually projects, then compound it by labelling programmes involving 43 different companies and 8 products as projects and then coordinate it centrally by a pile of people used to only plain vanilla single organisation projects to deliver single pieces of infrastructure but I can't fix that one.)

What I don't have is a decent app for doing this (I love physical whiteboards).

Suggestions?

< Good Lord, Has It Been That Long? | I won't pay a Goddamned Dime for MetaFilter. >
PERT diagram software | 6 comments (6 topical, 0 hidden)
James Fallows at The Atlantic by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #1 Tue Aug 19, 2014 at 06:31:57 AM EST
He's written about software that does that sort of thing, on a Mac even, but damned if my google-fu can find the link.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Thanks by Merekat (2.00 / 0) #3 Tue Aug 19, 2014 at 10:37:07 AM EST
On a scale of 1-5, how much rage and hate does it give you?

for mindmaps on the mac by bobdole (4.00 / 0) #4 Tue Aug 19, 2014 at 01:11:01 PM EST
I use MindJet, but I wouldn't use it for proper PERT or GANTT chart.

For PERT to be useful it would be necessary to have the statistical tools to make it more than a diagram for that MSProject is a decent enough (but highly complicated to use) tool.
-- The revolution will not be televised.

MS Project by Merekat (2.00 / 0) #6 Wed Aug 20, 2014 at 03:47:09 AM EST
For the dependency tracking, I find it irritating. It can't cope with anything other than the most primitive waterfall-style stuff when you're doing high level. Once there's actual weekly or daily granularity it is fine but even then it is very labour intensive.

Most tools are annoying by bobdole (2.00 / 0) #7 Wed Aug 20, 2014 at 01:31:15 PM EST
if not fit for the job.

There is a sweet spot where MS Projects makes sense, not for the smallest of projects and certainly not for the larger/mega-projects.

Artemis is an expensive solution to large projects, but as with MSP and other solutions, it sort of requires you to buy into their project-model if not you will be fighting windmills.
-- The revolution will not be televised.

GanttProject by Metatone (2.00 / 0) #8 Thu Aug 21, 2014 at 09:59:52 AM EST
has a  PERT view export that someone I know uses.

Whether it's enough for your needs, I wouldn't know.

Mindnode is simple and useful for mind maps.
Also has a demo version, so you can try it out...

Mindjet Mindmanager's Mac version is a bit behind the PC version, but has a lot more formatting tools, if that helps.

PERT diagram software | 6 comments (6 topical, 0 hidden)