Print Story Healthcare choices.
Some of you may know I suffer from a mental illnesses. (No, not Libertarianism, that one is my own responsibility). I suffer from occasional bouts of oppositional defiant disorder (ODD) .

I don't suffer badly enough for it to require psychiatric treatment, but it does occasionally manifest itself in ways which are detrimental to my enjoyment of life.

As an example, I find it impossible not to intervene when a rent-a-cop tries to exceed his or her authority. I feel obliged, nay compelled to get involved in arguments at are arguably none of my business. The current hysteria over anyone taking photos of buildings in the Illuminati controlled City of London is one of my big 'red rag to a bull' triggers.

the people whose rights I am trying to protect, often are not appreciative of my efforts either.

so it's time I did something about it.

My previous attempts at therapy (gestalt, Freudian and CBT) have been largely unsuccessful, with me relapsing usually about two months after the therapist claims to have cured me. So I've decided to try homeopathy.

You may find it hard to believe, but there are now therapists who specialise in this somewhat controversial form of treatment, which involves the therapist talking more and more quietly, using electronic audio attenuators until the voice is so quiet as to be undetectable by conventional microphone technology.

I have to confess I am more than a little skeptical about this approach, but if the NHS are endorsing it, I guess it must be effective?

What do HuSi readers think? Am I wasting my time?

< Stumped | Good Lord, Has It Been That Long? >
Healthcare choices. | 14 comments (14 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
(Comment Deleted) by the mariner (4.00 / 1) #1 Sun Aug 17, 2014 at 10:40:15 AM EST

This comment has been deleted by the mariner

check your privilege. by the mariner (4.00 / 3) #2 Sun Aug 17, 2014 at 10:41:29 AM EST
white british guy argues with security officer, doesn't get shot. goes to starbucks, orders a latte, and bitches about the NHS on free wifi.

Free WiFi is a luxury in Britain by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #4 Sun Aug 17, 2014 at 06:15:52 PM EST
But apart from that, you're pretty much on the ball.

Just one mental disorder? by lm (2.00 / 0) #3 Sun Aug 17, 2014 at 02:34:56 PM EST

Cicero, The Republic
Only one diagnosed. by gmd (2.00 / 0) #5 Sun Aug 17, 2014 at 06:18:12 PM EST
 But who among us can say we are mentally healthy, now that the DSM categorises almost everything as a mental illness.?

gmd - HuSi's second most dimwitted overprivileged user.
Did you just out yourself by dev trash (4.00 / 1) #10 Mon Aug 18, 2014 at 08:47:28 PM EST
as a teenager?

I DON'T CARE ABOUT YOUR BALLS! ->clock
In spirit I am... by gmd (2.00 / 0) #11 Tue Aug 19, 2014 at 02:39:10 AM EST
 Although physically far from it

gmd - HuSi's second most dimwitted overprivileged user.
Who me? by lm (4.00 / 1) #12 Tue Aug 19, 2014 at 05:33:17 AM EST
Yes, it's true. I am really a teenaged Asian chick. I'm surprised more people haven't caught on to this.

Cicero, The Republic
gmd by dev trash (2.00 / 0) #13 Tue Aug 19, 2014 at 10:14:01 PM EST

I DON'T CARE ABOUT YOUR BALLS! ->clock
Sorry, but ODD's reserved for adolescents. by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #6 Sun Aug 17, 2014 at 07:29:21 PM EST
Here's your version, if you're older than 15:

Thanks for the clarification by gmd (2.00 / 0) #7 Sun Aug 17, 2014 at 07:34:29 PM EST
 I'm not sure what magically happens when one hits ones 15th birthday to change ones illness. Seems somewhat arbitrary.

gmd - HuSi's second most dimwitted overprivileged user.
Hmmm by Gedvondur (2.00 / 0) #8 Mon Aug 18, 2014 at 10:19:50 AM EST
Well homeopathy is quackery, but there is a lot of power in belief.  If you believe it's working and it does, than good.

Glad to hear you are seeking help.

The thing is, when you say quackery, by gmd (2.00 / 0) #9 Mon Aug 18, 2014 at 02:14:28 PM EST
 What do you mean?

if it works, surely it can't be quackery?

just because the current scientific paradigm cannot account for a phenomenon, does not mean we should dismiss it.

the placebo effect has been documented to work, even when the subjects were informed they were taking an ineffective treatment.

gmd - HuSi's second most dimwitted overprivileged user.
Actually it can be. by Gedvondur (2.00 / 0) #14 Wed Aug 20, 2014 at 09:50:15 AM EST
Here's the thing.  If homeopathy was sold on the basis of being a placebo, that would be fine.  But it's sold as medicine, for profit, by people who know damn well it doesn't work outside of the placebo effect.  There is an element of deceit involved with the movement and I think nine out of ten are just hucksters.

That being said, if it works for you, great.  You have your eyes open about it.  Not everyone does.

Healthcare choices. | 14 comments (14 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback