Print Story I finally got around to watching Oblivion
By lm (Sun Jul 06, 2014 at 01:12:11 AM EST) (all tags)
All the clever parts seem to be stolen from Duncan Jones' Moon. Most of the rest is big explosions.

The big explosions were fun. The romance sub-plot had some great potential but ended up pretty lame.

I'm not really able to determine if Oblivion was written before or after Moon. Duncan Jones made his film in thirty some days in 2009. Joseph Kosinski starting writing at least two years before that but it seems that his script didn't involve the plot elements that were central to both Moon and Oblivion as it hit the theaters.

It's long been said that good artists imitate and great artists steal. But Moon is a much better movie than Oblivion. I think that great artists are supposed to make things better when they steal not worse.

Anyway, if you like explosions and sap, watch Oblivion. If you want to watch a good film, watch Moon.

< So about this server. | Afternoon all >
I finally got around to watching Oblivion | 9 comments (9 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Oblivion by jimgon (2.00 / 0) #1 Sun Jul 06, 2014 at 09:19:36 PM EST
 It's a Tom Cruise movie and automatically bad.  My wife watched it with me in the room and I did confirm. Too bad Morgan Freeman keeps accepting such crappy movies.

---------------
I hate to break it to ya, man. by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #3 Tue Jul 08, 2014 at 01:31:53 AM EST
Edge of Tomorrow is a pretty goddamned-good movie.

I find it unlikely by jimgon (4.00 / 1) #4 Tue Jul 08, 2014 at 06:11:25 AM EST
 It has Tom Cruise in it.

---------------
There has to be a film version of the old adage .. by lm (4.00 / 1) #5 Tue Jul 08, 2014 at 07:00:12 AM EST
... even a stopped clock is right twice a day.

Even a bad actor sometimes stars in a great film.

Cicero, The Republic
Hey by FlightTest (2.00 / 0) #7 Tue Jul 08, 2014 at 10:11:44 AM EST
If you were a 16 year old boy in 1986, Top Gun was a great film.  :)   Watching it as an adult ... yeah, not so much.

He toned down the Tom Cruise level by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #8 Tue Jul 08, 2014 at 11:27:55 PM EST
to the point that he may not as well have been Tom Cruise. Also, the number of times he gets the crap kicked out of him is cathartic. Trust me, you will not be disappoint.

But will he be data point? by lm (4.00 / 1) #9 Tue Jul 08, 2014 at 11:53:56 PM EST
Or at least disappointed?

Cicero, The Republic
Freeman is a hard working guy by lm (2.00 / 0) #6 Tue Jul 08, 2014 at 07:01:30 AM EST
There are a number of actors, Freeman being one them, that never turn up their nose at work. Christopher Walken and Samuel L. Jackson are the same way.

Cicero, The Republic
Soon both by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #2 Sun Jul 06, 2014 at 09:33:36 PM EST
Oblivion is pretty damn sucky...never steal from a better movie because it will just make people wish they were watching the better one.

I almost choked when they replayed the scene in The Matrix with Tom Cruise reflected in Morgan Freeman's sunglasses.

I suspect a lot of it is that these days, the big tentpole movies are all written by committee.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman