Print Story Libertarian dating...
Sex
By gmd (Thu Jul 31, 2014 at 03:14:02 PM EST) Girls, Politics, Contract Law, Libertarianism, UKIP, Maserati, Dating (all tags)
I have recently been dating a Libertarian girl I met at a UKIP meeting. (Politics in this case really does make strange bedfellows). This happened as a direct result of my decision to step outside my comfort zone and start taking a more proactive approach to my love life. Like most people, I cannot bear to have a relationship with someone who does not share my political views. So I went where I was most likely to find girls who shared my worldview. Which led me to a local UKIP meeting on a mission to meet someone special. Who knew that it would be such a rainbow of diversity and hot non-authoritarian chicks? Colour me extremely surprised!

However, it's not all good news.

After a long discussion about "the future" it emerges that she wants me to enter into a contract with her that defines the benefits and responsibilities our relationship in quite heavy duty legalese, that I am not comfortable with signing. But as a Libertarian she seems to think that our relationship is not valid until it has been defined in terms of contract law. On the one hand, I can see where she's coming from, but on the other hand, this behaviour makes her seem like a fucking lunatic. As a Libertarian myself I find it strange that I am struggling so much with the concept of this relationship agreement, indeed there are clauses in it that would protect me from any gold-digging behaviour on her part. But something about it just seems so wrong. It's also rather too similar to Amy and Sheldon for comfort.

She also chided me for not using an offshore deferred bond to minimise my tax liabilities. I thought that was rather presumptuous of her.

Other details.
She is a hot shot commercial lawyer specialising in intellectual property and software licence law.
She left the Libertarian party of the UK because it was, I quote "not Libertarian enough" for her.
She is reasonably skilled in the 'bedroom arts', and fortunately no mention of BDSM so far. (I have had enough of that to last me a lifetime)
She drives a Maserati Gran Cabrio which I find possibly more attractive than her.
She hates the EU as much as I do.

Anyway she has basically issued me with an ultimatum, sign up, or its over. Apparently I have a week to think about it.

I don't think I'm going to sign. What would HuSI do?

< more trivial diary | Attention Boston Infidels >
Libertarian dating... | 21 comments (21 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Thanks for this by marvin (4.00 / 6) #1 Thu Jul 31, 2014 at 03:22:20 PM EST
I have been totally stressed for this week over ongoing negotiations regarding employment contract language following a promising job interview. Then I read this. And I laughed, and laughed, and laughed when I reached this part:
this behaviour makes her seem like a fucking lunatic.
especially when you immediately topped it with the next four words:
As a Libertarian myself
Sounds like a match made in trolldom to me. Go forth and conquer!!!

"not Libertarian enough" by Dr Thrustgood (4.00 / 1) #2 Thu Jul 31, 2014 at 03:28:23 PM EST
Probably because your police force would be more an own-brand Lidl kind of affair, and she's more of a Waitrose kinda girl?

More likely by anonimouse (4.00 / 1) #12 Fri Aug 01, 2014 at 12:07:04 PM EST
Fortnum and Masons.

Girls come and go but a mortgage is for 25 years -- JtL
I thought contracts entered under duress by georgeha (4.00 / 2) #3 Thu Jul 31, 2014 at 04:11:51 PM EST
were not valid, even for Libertarians.

As a man, you may find so difficult to resist her sexual charms that it becomes a situation of duress.

Once again your insight into troubleshooting by gmd (2.00 / 0) #4 Thu Jul 31, 2014 at 04:57:40 PM EST
 complex issues is invaluable. Have you ever considered making a career out of it?

gmd - HuSi's second most dimwitted overprivileged user.
Bollocks by marvin (4.00 / 2) #5 Thu Jul 31, 2014 at 05:11:25 PM EST
There is no male equivalent to the pussy pass.

Hmmm by iGrrrl (4.00 / 1) #13 Sun Aug 03, 2014 at 09:50:33 AM EST
When I read this, I had to laugh. You do realize how demeaning the concept of a 'pussy pass' is to men. I mean really, you can't think your way past the possibility of sex?

"Beautiful wine, talking of scattered everythings"
(and thanks to Scrymarch)

What? by marvin (4.00 / 1) #14 Sun Aug 03, 2014 at 10:56:36 AM EST
Because women also don't give each other a pass based on gender for things that would get a guy locked away? Do you intend to extend your claim to also say that women also do it based on the possibility of sex as well? Are there more closet lesbians in the world than I had realized?

That depends by anonimouse (2.00 / 0) #15 Sun Aug 03, 2014 at 09:49:40 PM EST
...on how many lesbians your closet can hold

Girls come and go but a mortgage is for 25 years -- JtL
Hahahah! by iGrrrl (2.00 / 0) #17 Mon Aug 04, 2014 at 11:09:58 PM EST
Nice complete twist.

"Beautiful wine, talking of scattered everythings"
(and thanks to Scrymarch)

hah. by aphrael (2.00 / 0) #18 Tue Aug 05, 2014 at 11:28:08 PM EST
one of the legal arguments for why same sex marriage bans are constitutional is that the state's interest in recognizing straight marriages arises from the need to entice straight couples into forming relationships that will protect their children.

i've always thought this argument was incredibly offensive and demeaning to straight people.

I suggest by anonimouse (4.00 / 1) #6 Thu Jul 31, 2014 at 05:35:10 PM EST
That it all depends on what is in the contract, and if there are terms which are not acceptable, whether there is scope for negotiation. "Yes, I'll sign the contract, but can you please tone down clause IV...." is certainly a basis for ensuring your shagging continues.

Incidentally, which of you earns the most money?

Also, of course, it depends on whether there are available alternatives and the quality of those alternatives

Girls come and go but a mortgage is for 25 years -- JtL
I am considering that. by gmd (4.00 / 1) #7 Thu Jul 31, 2014 at 05:41:04 PM EST
 I may make a counter proposal that we set a time limit of 6 months on the contract after which time it is up for renegotiation.

I'm not against a contract in principle. I guess it's so unusual to find a libertarian girl I was just not expecting it.

As for relative income, it's rather vulgar to discuss such issues. Let's just say she's extremely comfortable, whilst I scrape by...

gmd - HuSi's second most dimwitted overprivileged user.
How do you know the political affiliation by kwsNI (4.00 / 1) #8 Thu Jul 31, 2014 at 07:23:17 PM EST
Of a blow up doll?

I don't know. by gmd (2.00 / 0) #9 Fri Aug 01, 2014 at 03:30:24 AM EST
 How?

gmd - HuSi's second most dimwitted overprivileged user.
according to kundera, by the mariner (2.00 / 0) #10 Fri Aug 01, 2014 at 04:23:37 AM EST
the two of you have already forged in the first three days of your relationship the only contract that will ever exist between you. now admittedly, he's no libertarian, but i've found this notion to hold true in my own dealings with the fairer sex.

be sure you're comfortable with the amount of room for ... exploration ... left by your contract.

lawyering by clover kicker (4.00 / 5) #11 Fri Aug 01, 2014 at 06:58:05 AM EST

Better read the fine print in the penalty clause!

You broke the format: by ammoniacal (4.00 / 2) #16 Mon Aug 04, 2014 at 01:55:02 PM EST

Easy by Gedvondur (2.00 / 0) #19 Wed Aug 06, 2014 at 04:39:27 PM EST
I don't date lunatics.

Libertarians are lunatics with a child-simple philosophy that doesn't work in the real world.  You know, like relationship contracts.

Go find actual fully realized people.  And you know, don't stick it in the crazy.

Doesn't work in the real world? by gmd (2.00 / 0) #20 Wed Aug 06, 2014 at 05:43:46 PM EST
 What is marriage if not a "relationship contract"?

I don't really see the difference between marriage, and what my libertarian girlfriend (let's refer to her as "Ayn" to preserve her anonymity) is proposing.

Admittedly over 50% of these contracts don't work out in the "real world" but is that any reason not to try?  Indeed by attempting such a contractual relationship on a scaled down basis, we may realise it's not for us, and avoid a more expensive marriage contract later.

I think the word "libertarian" scares leftists of the collectivist persuasion, because they realise that if the "child simple" truths of libertarianism become mainstream, it means an end to their Orwellian dreams of total control of the individual.

you can use "child simple" as a pejorative description, but in fact children have clear insight into simple moral issues such as "not stealing money from people", or "not imitating coercive force against people". Libertarianism is simple because right and wrong are for the most part simple.

gmd - HuSi's second most dimwitted overprivileged user.
Don't stick it in the crazy by kwsNI (4.00 / 3) #21 Mon Aug 11, 2014 at 12:02:36 AM EST
That advice would have saved me a marriage...

Libertarian dating... | 21 comments (21 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback