Print Story more trivial diary
Games
By clover kicker (Wed Jul 30, 2014 at 08:03:12 PM EST) (all tags)
For many years I felt that no-one was writing the games I wanted to play.

Everything was console, and anything that was being release for the PC was dumbed way the hell down.

RPGs? Plot and mechanics watered down for the casuals, interface crippled so the consoletards could play.

Strategy games? Non-existant, casuals don't play stategy games.

Things have changed, I'd say the gaming situation is as good as it's ever been.

Right now I've got 3 games I'd love to play and not enough time to devote to 'em.

The latest version of Kerbal Space Program adds some great features to career mode, my god what a fantastic game.

Dwarf Fortress just released a new version after 2 fucking years, I'm looking at an ASCII landscape right now with multilevel trees and I'm telling you guys it's just beautiful.

And OpenXCOM just released version 1.0, it's everything I wanted in an XCOM sequel, the original game faithfully reproduced at modern resolutions, with bug fixes and optional gameplay enhancements. One of the all time classics, and frankly I'll probably occasionally play OpenXCOM for the rest of my life, but I have no desire to replay XCOM enemy unknown or any of the other remake attempts.

< Now we are thirteen and eighteen | Libertarian dating... >
more trivial diary | 7 comments (7 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Fine choices by dark nowhere (4.00 / 1) #1 Wed Jul 30, 2014 at 11:50:31 PM EST
I haven't played Kerbal Space but it looks like a blast.

I haven't played DF in forever. I probably should, but I am scared I'll end up spending 1/3rd of the rest of my life playing it.

OpenXCOM is one of the more important acts of restoration in our time.

Chill out, snowflake.

New Shadowrun's not bad by Scrymarch (4.00 / 1) #2 Thu Jul 31, 2014 at 01:59:30 AM EST
Pretty true to the setting and ok story.

Iambic Web Certified

Strangely by anonimouse (4.00 / 1) #3 Thu Jul 31, 2014 at 07:19:40 AM EST
I have just downloaded XCOM:Enemy Within

Girls come and go but a mortgage is for 25 years -- JtL
when were rpgs not casual? by the mariner (2.00 / 0) #4 Fri Aug 01, 2014 at 04:33:20 AM EST
maybe i don't know what you mean by "casual" but what does it mean to play an rpg in a non-casual way? speed running is the only thing i can think of.

RPGs by clover kicker (2.00 / 0) #5 Fri Aug 01, 2014 at 06:53:13 AM EST
Level scaling, wouldn't want people to stumble onto a fight they can't win.

Quest markers on the map and on NPCs heads, wouldn't want people to have to read anything.

Puzzles are hard, let's drop 'em entirely.

Turn based combat isn't visceral enough, must be real time.

Parties are hard, let's only allow 1 player.

Choices must be unambiguously good or evil.

People don't like to read, so let's trim down the dialog as much as possible to make voice acting affordable.

That's off the top of my head, if you like I'll come up with more.

hm. by the mariner (2.00 / 0) #6 Thu Aug 07, 2014 at 08:44:50 PM EST
so what is a non-casual rpg? ultima exodus?

maybe my understanding of the hardcore vs. casual divide is out of whack. to me, hardcore gaming is either competitive multiplayer, speed running, and other competition oriented gaming. rpgs just don't have that unless you speed run them (unless you talk about intelligently scored roguelikes like DCSS).

it sounds like the decline in rpg video games started with final fantasy IV in your estimation...

casual by clover kicker (2.00 / 0) #7 Mon Aug 11, 2014 at 10:08:24 AM EST
I'd call casual games stuff that handholds you,  refuses to challenge the player.

Decent rpgs would be Ultima (excluding U8), Wizardry, PS:T etc.

It doesn't have to be a thousand years old, the Gothic series was graphical, first person, no party... but they didn't hand-hold, were quite unforgiving, decent plots, and didn't suck.

I haven't played anything on consoles so have no idea about the entire FF series, but pretty much anything on the console is dumbed down compared to PC games.

more trivial diary | 7 comments (7 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback