Print Story Now we are thirteen and eighteen
Family
By georgeha (Wed Jul 30, 2014 at 04:35:15 PM EST) naked, kids, machete (all tags)
Plus, supercombinedgradparty, England, naked TV and less.

Poll: What one survival tool would you bring?

The poverty continues. The husband of Mrs. Ha's employer did not get his research librarian contract renewed, they're probably moving to Boston. So, she has no job but she's been looking. She's hoping to find something above minimum wage, but most of her experience is in nannying, and she's getting tired of it.

She's also considering become a massage therapist, but that's $14000 in tuition, and we're not sure how much she'd make as a part time massage therapist. It may not be worth it.

We're hoping the harsh lessons of being a mature worker without a college degree are being absorbed.

The oldest had a massive combined graduation party with newspaper_girl and sa_girl on July 4th. It was expensive, and time consuming. I went to at least four pre-party planning meetings/shopping trips and site visits. But we're done, we paid back some social obligations, and everyone had a good time.

The youngest was a little irked, as the 4th is usually her day. We go to my parents to swim, celebrate her birthday a day early and watch illegal fireworks, and then watch real fireworks. We tried to make up for by going there on the 6th.

She is now 13, and is turning into quite the geek. She's had a low key summer, mostly because her closest friends live far away, and they don't have reliable transportation. But she's happy playing Minecraft, catching up on Pokemon and hula hooping.

The oldest is now 18, and I picked them up in Toronto from their trip to England last week. It was a Girl Scout, and the cheapest flights were from Toronto to Edinburgh, England. Newspaper_mom drove them up a few weeks ago, and I volunteered to pick them up.

She had a good time, she enjoyed being able to order a Jack and coke legally, and liked Edinburgh better than London. London was too big for hesr, similarly she also prefers Boston over New York City.

Next up all the college prep stuff, loan stuff and  health stuff. We may end up using more of her college savings the first year than we anticipated, due to unemployment. I guess it will help the FASFA.

Mrs. Ha and I are becoming fans of naked TV. Not naked sitting on the couch, but rather some of the reality shows. Dating Naked is kind of lame, but the real fun is Naked and Afraid, despite it's hetero-normative whiteness. So far it's a white man and a white female, both survivalists, dumped naked into a wild area for 21 days, with one survival item each. The nakedness is less interesting than the interpersonal struggles and the failure to spoon on cold nights. It's probably due to the producer's choices, but the women tend to be hardier than the men.

The survival items are normally a machete and a fire starting device, though I've seen knives and an ax substitute for the machete, and steel cups substitute for the fire starter. I still don't know why anyone doesn't bring a Bic lighter. I've eventually started a fire with a firesteel, but I go much quicker with a Bic.

< Ce n'est pas une annonce | more trivial diary >
Now we are thirteen and eighteen | 12 comments (12 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
I watched quite a bit of 'dual survival' by clover kicker (2.00 / 0) #1 Wed Jul 30, 2014 at 07:43:51 PM EST
I might actually go with a smaller more nimble knife than a machete, if you place the blade of a small knife against a tree and then whack the back of the blade with a sturdy branch you can chop most anything a machete will.

The fire steels are completely waterproof and long lasting and with some practice I think they work very well.

Nakedness would be a fucking problem for me, I wear long sleeves in the woods no matter how fucking hot it gets, those people must like bug bites more than I do.

Edinboro by gmd (2.00 / 0) #2 Wed Jul 30, 2014 at 08:06:29 PM EST
 Is one of my favorit English cities.

gmd - HuSi's second most dimwitted overprivileged user.
not for long, eh? by dev trash (2.00 / 0) #3 Wed Jul 30, 2014 at 10:13:23 PM EST

I DON'T CARE ABOUT YOUR BALLS! ->clock
Here's hoping... N/t by gmd (2.00 / 0) #4 Thu Jul 31, 2014 at 02:47:42 AM EST

gmd - HuSi's second most dimwitted overprivileged user.
I work with a Scottish chap who goes back there by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #7 Thu Jul 31, 2014 at 07:46:03 AM EST
twice a year. I asked if he had any spare pounds, so eighteen_year_old could have spending money right off the plane.

He thinks the English money is worth something, he wouldn't give me any for free.

WIPO by anonimouse (2.00 / 0) #5 Thu Jul 31, 2014 at 07:25:32 AM EST
Swiss Army Machete - all the other tools you've mentioned in one handy package, plus some others that you didn't know you needed, plus more that you don't know what the hell they do....

Girls come and go but a mortgage is for 25 years -- JtL
Also by anonimouse (4.00 / 1) #6 Thu Jul 31, 2014 at 07:26:31 AM EST
The offer of the AR-15 depends on whether it comes with a bayonet attached or not..

Girls come and go but a mortgage is for 25 years -- JtL
18... by wiredog (4.00 / 1) #8 Thu Jul 31, 2014 at 09:48:44 AM EST
For the heck of it, and because things are really slow around here, I went spelunking through your old k5 diaries. Really old diaries.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Whoa, flashbacks by georgeha (4.00 / 2) #9 Thu Jul 31, 2014 at 03:01:31 PM EST
In retrospect, I still think parents are more important the test scores of the school district. I'm not sure what sort of school district would have helped eighteen_year_old excel, maybe one that dispensed lots of Ritalin.

that is indeed a really old k5 diary by clover kicker (2.00 / 0) #10 Mon Aug 11, 2014 at 03:59:46 PM EST
The comments were on-topic and coherent.

That and by yankeehack (4.00 / 2) #11 Tue Aug 12, 2014 at 01:13:31 PM EST
I mentioned a husband. :-P
WIPO: Chuck Norris by FlightTest (2.00 / 0) #12 Sun Aug 24, 2014 at 02:33:10 AM EST
Or MacGyver.  Either will suffice.