Print Story So about this server.
Scoop
By hulver (Thu Jul 03, 2014 at 03:37:35 PM EST) (all tags)
Finally.

Also available in IPv6, maybe. Don't know, I've got no way of testing it.

Don't worry, we're not going away any time soon.

Ok. So we're now running on the new server. It seemed to be ok, and much quicker than the old one, so we're now on it.

Hopefully the DNS will propagate soon.

Sorry this isn't longer, I might post a holeary later to explain stuff.

< David Icke live at Wembley Arena | I finally got around to watching Oblivion >
So about this server. | 26 comments (26 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
maybe it hasn't propagated yet... by infinitera (2.00 / 0) #1 Thu Jul 03, 2014 at 04:22:58 PM EST
But I can't seem to find any AAAA record for new.hulver.com, just A / ipv4.

Ah yes by hulver (2.00 / 0) #3 Thu Jul 03, 2014 at 04:34:19 PM EST
It will support it when I turn this one off a move the DNS to point at the new one.

Although this machine as an AAAA record, it doesn't actually support IPv6, as I never configured Apache to use it.
Cheese is not a hat. - clock

Congrats on getting Scoop going. by dark nowhere (2.00 / 0) #2 Thu Jul 03, 2014 at 04:26:13 PM EST
There as an auth server we were using at this place I worked. Some time in 2011 I became responsible for it. Somehow it hadn't been updated since 2005 and an update was needed to get it to talk to some other thing, so I ran the update. It started fetching packages over IPv6. v6 was pretty theoretical for most people in 2005 but the auth server had it covered even back then.

I still can't use v6 at home.

Chill out, snowflake.

It's too fast by Herring (2.00 / 0) #4 Fri Jul 04, 2014 at 07:11:57 AM EST
It scares me.

christ, we're all old now - StackyMcRacky
BANG! by lm (2.00 / 0) #15 Fri Jul 04, 2014 at 07:30:11 PM EST
Yes, indeed, this new machine is quite speedy.

Cicero, The Republic
Well done by anonimouse (2.00 / 0) #5 Fri Jul 04, 2014 at 07:12:27 AM EST
Still Apache 1.x though?

Girls come and go but a mortgage is for 25 years -- JtL
Ssh. by hulver (2.00 / 0) #6 Fri Jul 04, 2014 at 07:35:24 AM EST
Might be.

Next on the list, upgrade Apache to V2.whatever. CT has said he's got a version of Scoop that's V2 compatible. Hopefully he'll send it to me.
Cheese is not a hat. - clock

IPv6 works for me by komet (2.00 / 0) #7 Fri Jul 04, 2014 at 09:29:24 AM EST

<ni> komet: You are functionally illiterate as regards trashy erotica.
Correction: by komet (2.00 / 0) #8 Fri Jul 04, 2014 at 09:30:30 AM EST
No it doesn't, it is reachable but returns a connection refused. You have to turn on the Listen: directive.

<ni> komet: You are functionally illiterate as regards trashy erotica.
Ok by hulver (2.00 / 0) #9 Fri Jul 04, 2014 at 09:51:32 AM EST
Apache V1.3 doesn't support IPv6.

Great.
Cheese is not a hat. - clock
Glutton for punishment? by Dr Thrustgood (4.00 / 1) #10 Fri Jul 04, 2014 at 10:17:35 AM EST
Is it possible to have a different app listen on port 80 on the IPv6 address? If so, you could create more fun - stick Nginx on it and do a reverse proxy to Apache.

(or for mega-plus-want-to-hate-life fun, iptables redirect IPv6 port 80 to some other port which Nginx listens on)

Possibly by hulver (2.00 / 0) #11 Fri Jul 04, 2014 at 10:27:43 AM EST
I've got Apache being a reverse proxy to Apache already. It should be possible to set up the latest Apache to reverse proxy to the older version running scoop.
Cheese is not a hat. - clock
Haha, cool by Dr Thrustgood (4.00 / 4) #12 Fri Jul 04, 2014 at 10:59:50 AM EST
It's Apaches all the way down :)

ALL HAIL THE GLORIOUS NEW SERVER by gzt (2.00 / 0) #13 Fri Jul 04, 2014 at 12:17:22 PM EST
ALL HAIL.

Thank you for the new server! by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #14 Fri Jul 04, 2014 at 01:18:02 PM EST
But now all I want to know is how well komet has IPv6 working. Has he just got one address for his whole body, or are individual organs addressable or maybe he has an interface to individual neurons.

Please answer, komet. With addresses.

I have three IPv6 addresses for my body, by komet (2.00 / 0) #17 Sat Jul 05, 2014 at 07:45:10 AM EST
one for each of my penises and the third for the rest. Seriously I have had IPv6 since 2003 and would have thought it would have caught on by now.

<ni> komet: You are functionally illiterate as regards trashy erotica.
I suspected as much. by ambrosen (4.00 / 1) #19 Sat Jul 05, 2014 at 10:58:54 AM EST
Also, love the way your comment totally disproved what ni says in your signature.

Hurrah! by Scrymarch (4.00 / 2) #16 Fri Jul 04, 2014 at 08:22:24 PM EST
Best dictator EVAR

Iambic Web Certified

well, i guess the end was nigh by the mariner (4.00 / 1) #18 Sat Jul 05, 2014 at 07:49:56 AM EST
only in the sense of being a more likely possibility than usual.

Once in, oh, 20 clicks or so... by ana (2.00 / 0) #20 Sat Jul 05, 2014 at 04:39:57 PM EST
 the page shows up in a tiny monospaced font, with the topic icons, and everything, but no header or boxes down the side (or at the bottom, like they are on my phone). Another click, and it's all fine. It's like the stylesheet didn't load or something.

I've seen that as well by lm (4.00 / 1) #21 Sat Jul 05, 2014 at 05:05:36 PM EST
Reload the page and everything looks normal. Clickety-click away and then once in a while the tiny monospacing is back.

It's probably caused by theantix.

Cicero, The Republic
A new instance of this bug by ana (2.00 / 0) #25 Sun Jul 06, 2014 at 09:12:49 PM EST
 I just poked the + sign to add my latest to my hotlist, and the hotlist box only came up in tiny monospaced font, triple-spaced. The rest of the page looked fine (I didn't scroll past the hotlist box to see if it recovered for the following boxes).

Seems to be ok now. by hulver (4.00 / 1) #26 Tue Jul 08, 2014 at 11:54:55 AM EST
I think I've sorted that one. Let me know if it happens again please.
Cheese is not a hat. - clock
whoa by StackyMcRacky (4.00 / 2) #22 Sat Jul 05, 2014 at 07:28:06 PM EST
this comment posted before i even clicked on the story.

Anytthing is possible in the Matrix by anonimouse (2.00 / 0) #24 Sun Jul 06, 2014 at 05:01:41 AM EST
...

Girls come and go but a mortgage is for 25 years -- JtL
Amazon box appears to be broken by lm (2.00 / 0) #23 Sun Jul 06, 2014 at 01:17:31 AM EST
I got this in my latest diary.

Amazon products

amazon_products: This box seems to be broken. Please email the site admin and tell them the time and date (and your timezone) so it can be fixed.

Cicero, The Republic