Print Story Hello again Husi
By crispyduck (Thu Jul 24, 2014 at 12:25:58 PM EST) life, stuff (all tags)
I hope you are all well! I don't know if many of you will remember me, it's about 5 years since I last wrote one of these. I've been popping by and reading every so often - have tried a couple of times to write something but then more stuff keeps happening and also I keep getting worse at writing... anyway, Hulver said I should write one of these so I kind of have to :) Here a few of the things I've been up to in the last few years...

Moved back to Surrey mostly to be a bit closer to sources of work. We bought a house and everything. It's not perfect and I sometimes miss living properly out in the sticks, but we live in a small town and have a pretty good balance of pretty green stuff and decent transport links.

Learned to drive last year, probably at the point in my life when I've least needed to but having had a pretty dismal attempt at it when I was much younger, decided to give it another shot. It was a pretty interesting experience this time, feeling everything (very slowly) fall into place and muscle memory take over from conscious actions - although I think I spent at least as much time learning not to beat myself up or panic over mistakes as I did on the physical act of driving. I passed in January - I don't drive a lot as I still cycle around town and enjoy taking the train, but I'm really glad I learned and it does make a few things much easier.

Not hosting any more. We gave up trying to run a hosting company, dealing with servers crashing in the middle of the night, shitty non paying customers and not actually making any money and so on. We kept one server around which until recently has been running HuSi and some of our stuff, but it's getting on a bit now so is being decommissioned.

Freelancing - the past year or so I've been trying to make a go of work from home freelancing rather than onsite contracting. Having had a go at this before I had a fair idea of what to avoid in terms of global bid sites and tried targeting myself a bit more locally - had a few months of patchy hourly work and some fixed price mistakes before landing a solid 6 month project at a fairly decent hourly rate. Which was great for a while, being a massive introvert I was happy working on my own with occasional client visits and just enough contact to keep me sane... things went a bit pear shaped in the last couple of months, work dried up and I'd started to feel like not much contact with / input from other developers was not such a good thing. I start a new thing on Monday, in London. Lots of smart devs, good environment (I already know people there) - looking forward to it but quite nervous about working with people again. Feel like I've stagnated a bit.

Travel! We made it out to South East Asia. Two two-month trips in 2010-11 and 2013 - about half of the time in various bits of Thailand but also visited Cambodia, Laos, Vietnam and Malaysia. We washed elephants, celebrated Vietnamese New Year, celebrated our New Year in Cambodia with a bottle of dubious "banana whisky", visited temples, kayaked in mangroves, took heaps of pictures, lived off street food, complained a lot about the heat and mosquitoes... loved it, especially the food, and still want to go back some more. Pics and more pics. Next big trip will hopefully be Japan in spring next year.

Cycling - Still have lots of bicycles. Three of them live in the house. I ride off road more than on these days. Haven't toured properly in a couple of years, though I did ride (on road) round the Isle of Wight a couple of weeks ago with an overnight camping stop. I'm also into running these days, on and off. Pretty 'off' right now as I'm having more of a cycling year. It has to be off road though, I love hurtling down a rooty track, surprisingly so far there have been no injuries :)

Nephew - got a new one this year from littlest sister. Middle sister is giving us another nibling in November, meaning between us we will be aunty and uncle to ten kids, age 0-12. Yeah... I'll be aunty to a teenager next year.
< Husistock 2: The Reckoning | Ce n'est pas une annonce >
Hello again Husi | 12 comments (12 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Surrey by Herring (4.00 / 1) #1 Thu Jul 24, 2014 at 02:18:05 PM EST
Depending upon which part, we'll have to go for a ride - either on or off road.

I went through a phase of destroying other HuSiites on cycle trips but now I have delegated that duty to the boy.

christ, we're all old now - StackyMcRacky

Edge of surrey by crispyduck (2.00 / 0) #3 Thu Jul 24, 2014 at 05:32:17 PM EST
Haslemere... where are you? I don't think it would take much to destroy me :-)

I'm North-East corner by Herring (4.00 / 1) #8 Fri Jul 25, 2014 at 08:33:14 AM EST
Haslmere is easy travelling distance to the MTB centre of the universe at Peaslake. I would be going there this Sunday with a group but the boy has his grade 7 drummage exam.

christ, we're all old now - StackyMcRacky
Peaslake by crispyduck (2.00 / 0) #11 Tue Jul 29, 2014 at 03:31:44 PM EST
Have been a few times, mostly for http://www.peaslakemtbo.com/ purposes. I usually ride close to home, there's some nice areas of heathland + bridleways nearby but good to get out onto the proper singletrack stuff every now and then. Let me know when you're headed over there again.

Yep, I remember being destroyed. by ambrosen (4.00 / 1) #5 Thu Jul 24, 2014 at 07:47:47 PM EST
You can only stay for two hours at motorway service stations. I stayed almost two hours at both ones I stopped at on the way back from Hungerford that time. But it was good.

Wow by anonimouse (4.00 / 1) #2 Thu Jul 24, 2014 at 03:31:24 PM EST
At this rate everyone will be on Husi instead of Facebook again!

Girls come and go but a mortgage is for 25 years -- JtL
Hello! by crispyduck (4.00 / 1) #4 Thu Jul 24, 2014 at 06:31:02 PM EST
Facebook... was fun for a couple of years, still on it but kind of over it. Mostly haven't been writing about my stuff at all, apart from travel blogging

Working for a living by hulver (4.00 / 1) #6 Fri Jul 25, 2014 at 03:45:13 AM EST
Not my favourite thing to do. What happened to the glorious future of robots doing all the work?
Cheese is not a hat. - clock
We're the ones building the robots... by wiredog (4.00 / 2) #7 Fri Jul 25, 2014 at 08:12:31 AM EST
So we will have to work longer than the ones replaced by the robots. Which isn't entirely bad, we're the last ones to be reformulated into robot lube.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Soooo by Breaker (4.00 / 1) #9 Fri Jul 25, 2014 at 05:27:05 PM EST
Back in Londonium then?

I call LHuSiBeers.  It's the right thing to do.

Woo, good to see you! by TheophileEscargot (4.00 / 1) #10 Sat Jul 26, 2014 at 02:37:52 AM EST

Hello! by crispyduck (4.00 / 1) #12 Tue Jul 29, 2014 at 03:33:43 PM EST
And belated congratulations on the baby.

Hello again Husi | 12 comments (12 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback