Print Story Husistock 2: The Reckoning
Husi Stock
By littlestar (Tue Jun 03, 2014 at 11:16:26 AM EST) Husistock, husistock 2 (all tags)
 It's happening come hell or high water. Part Deux.

Well, life is crazy isn't it? Too much, too fast. But friends are important, and having time together is good for your soul. So we are gonna make it work.

It is possible that CCB had booked off the wrong dates for this Husistock and that this was a big, unfortunate mess as he has to fight tooth and nail to even get time off. (For some reason he's supposed to be happy never getting his allotted vacation time though everyone else happily takes two weeks off WITH THEIR FAMILY. Sigh. No, I'm not bitter.)

In any case, the Old Schoolhouse will open it's doors Friday August 1st and kick your asses out on Monday August 4th if they're not already gone.[But, actually we are very nice if your car breaks down and you have to hang out with us for a few extra days, we will feed you and stuff and have nice chats.]

The planning for this event is slowly being looked at, trying to squeeze it in around the insanity of life schedules. There will be a party on the Saturday night (like last time with more people coming to hang out for that specifically, probably a number of my derby girls etc.), with a band that hopefully doesn't suck. We will get a keg of beer (two if needed but last time that was too much). We will do a chili lunch on Saturday. My sister-in-law's boyfriend may also make us some awesome jerk chicken (if we're lucky). The lake is still there so people should bring their swim gear.

We have realized that, like last time, getting some extra funding (to help pay for the portable toilets and beer and chili etc.) would be super duper awesome/necessary as we are sort of completely broke. How did we collect money last time? I have no recollection, but I know that we did, you guys were awesome. I have been looking at some sites that do it but they all charge annoying fees etc. Ideas? I'm sure you've got them, please share.

I think last time it worked out really well, everyone brought stuff for themselves and we also shared some food that delightful people brought and some that I made and we brought and shared liquors and beers from all over and had the keg and some special fun stuff made up here. (We're definitely gonna make up some jello shooters, they are way too yummy.)

So, that's where we are now. How about you?

< off message | Hooo boy >
Husistock 2: The Reckoning | 66 comments (66 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Let's see, if we can schedule then by georgeha (4.00 / 2) #1 Tue Jun 03, 2014 at 11:36:42 AM EST
eighteen_year_old's wisdom teeth for Friday August 1st, and then leave then thirteen_year_old to nurse her through it over the weekend alone, we could leave the states and be out of cheap cell phone access.

Wow! :) by littlestar (2.00 / 0) #3 Tue Jun 03, 2014 at 12:06:19 PM EST
This would be so neat! I really hope that can work out. Plus, you'll be unreachable, what could possibly go wrong?

Y'know what by Oberon (4.00 / 2) #2 Tue Jun 03, 2014 at 12:03:08 PM EST
If you don't mind .... as a long time but mainly lurking HuSer (changed username a while ago, my original abbreviated-South-American-rodent account is from 2003 or so) I would love to come along.

At the start of the year I was pondering a trip to eastern-north-america to see old friends, and then one of my other friends inconsiderately emigrated from here (Scotland) to Montreal, so there's even more incentive for me to go up to that part of the world -- I just have to reconcile myself to July/August flight prices :)

I had, of course, spotted the original HuSiStock announcement but was distracted. Knowing me I was probably either drunk, changing job, or trying to convince somebody to give me a dog, these are the things that have occupied me this year.

If it works out I'd be happy to provide beer, CAN$, and bass harmonies.

How now, mad spirit?
Again, Wow!! by littlestar (4.00 / 1) #4 Tue Jun 03, 2014 at 12:08:09 PM EST
That would SO super neat. We would be delighted to see you. And, if there are other awesome singers coming we can prep a song to sing, that would be some old tyme fun. ;)

I will be there. by aphrael (4.00 / 2) #5 Tue Jun 03, 2014 at 12:23:19 PM EST
Jared may or may not, as things are determined later.

I'll be coming up by bus from NYC; would it be possible for someone to pick me up / drop me off in Toronto? :)

Awesome! by littlestar (2.00 / 0) #9 Tue Jun 03, 2014 at 04:10:47 PM EST
Hopefully Jared can come too, but we will be delighted to have at least you. We will definitely be able to do pick ups, but it would be super cool if you could get to Newmarket, which you can do (taking a bus) from Union Station in Toronto, which is where I'm sure you will end up from your bus from NY. Or if there are a bunch of toronto pick ups maybe we will do a carload too, we can figure it out as we get closer. We won't leave you stranded though, we will make sure you get here once you're in Ontario. :)

no jared by aphrael (2.00 / 0) #66 Tue Jul 15, 2014 at 04:36:40 PM EST
also it looks like there's a bus stop at Yonge St X Killarney Beach, which is really really close, it just requires a transfer at Newmarket. :)
Perhaps by dev trash (4.00 / 1) #49 Sat Jun 07, 2014 at 12:21:10 AM EST
I'm driving up from either DC or Central PA.

I DON'T CARE ABOUT YOUR BALLS! ->clock
Ya know by yankeehack (4.00 / 1) #6 Tue Jun 03, 2014 at 01:09:47 PM EST
I was thinking that I had to do something cool for my 40th Birthday... ;)
Yeah! by littlestar (4.00 / 1) #10 Tue Jun 03, 2014 at 04:12:24 PM EST
This is cool. I think. Maybe. It's definitely going to be fun in any case. :) Definitely an adventure which is a good thing for a 40th. ;)

August, eh? by atreides (4.00 / 1) #7 Tue Jun 03, 2014 at 03:51:39 PM EST
No promises, but there is a minuscule chance for me (depending on when UT starts)...

Of course, I would very much like to be there.

He sails from world to world in a flying tomb, serving gods who eat hope.

YES!!! by littlestar (2.00 / 0) #12 Tue Jun 03, 2014 at 04:13:59 PM EST
We need to find a way!!! It wouldn't be the same without you. If there is anything we can do to aid this, let me know.

UT schedule by aphrael (2.00 / 0) #15 Tue Jun 03, 2014 at 04:59:59 PM EST
Per http://registrar.utexas.edu/calendars,

fall semester orientation is aug 19
fall semester classes start aug 27

summer semester first term classes end july 10
summer semester 9 week classes end july 29
summer semester second term classes end aug 15
summer semester whole session classes end aug 15

unfortunately... by gzt (2.00 / 0) #8 Tue Jun 03, 2014 at 03:53:32 PM EST
...my passport is expired, this coincides with the conference i'm going to in boston (which is immediately followed by a wedding in texas), and i have no  money, so i wouldn't be able to make it. but my thoughts will certainly be with all of you.

Well, poopers. by littlestar (2.00 / 0) #13 Tue Jun 03, 2014 at 04:15:55 PM EST
Annoying how life can be so full of things. ;) It's never possible to do it all, that's for sure, I have to remind myself every day that that just makes me a human as a I curse my inability to be three people. Perhaps next time, which will hopefully be less than a million years from now.
*twinkle*twinkle*

when's the boston trip? by infinitera (2.00 / 0) #16 Tue Jun 03, 2014 at 05:40:04 PM EST
Maybe a BHusi meetup is in order!

something like sunday through wednesday by gzt (2.00 / 0) #17 Tue Jun 03, 2014 at 05:48:37 PM EST
first week of august, whatever days those happen to be.

Looks like 3-6. by ana (2.00 / 0) #18 Tue Jun 03, 2014 at 05:54:57 PM EST
Alternative meet-ups for the win.

in other words by aphrael (4.00 / 1) #19 Tue Jun 03, 2014 at 06:01:51 PM EST
:/ by littlestar (2.00 / 0) #30 Wed Jun 04, 2014 at 02:01:45 PM EST
Yeah. That's kind of poopy. I had no idea about the boston one, not sure when that got scheduled. I certainly wouldn't have planned it at the same time if I'd known about that months ago when we planned this.
*twinkle*twinkle*

that reminds me by StackyMcRacky (2.00 / 0) #20 Tue Jun 03, 2014 at 06:40:52 PM EST
i need to send a gift to that particular wedding in Texas

Seems possible... by MostlyHarmless (4.00 / 1) #11 Tue Jun 03, 2014 at 04:12:54 PM EST
Likely, even!
[Mostly Harmless]
Great! by littlestar (2.00 / 0) #14 Tue Jun 03, 2014 at 04:17:58 PM EST
It'll be good for continuity to have some returnees. ;)

Exactly! by MostlyHarmless (2.00 / 0) #24 Wed Jun 04, 2014 at 04:07:10 AM EST
I may try and coax some Toronto friends out for the Saturday night, if that's cool. One of them is a game designer, the other a derby girl. I suspect they will fit right in...
[Mostly Harmless]
Absolutely! by littlestar (2.00 / 0) #31 Wed Jun 04, 2014 at 02:03:02 PM EST
I should have said that for everyone. If you have friends around that you would like to see at the same time you're more then welcome to invite them over Saturday to hang out in our yard. :)
*twinkle*twinkle*

Tickets Booked! by MostlyHarmless (2.00 / 0) #65 Mon Jul 14, 2014 at 06:29:49 PM EST
I'm actually heading into Toronto on the 30th and staying with some friends. Will be Schoolhouse bound on the 1st, possibly in conjunction with misslake et al. TBD.

Anything we can bring/do to help? Is there an e-mail I can Interac some moneys to for expenses?

I might be getting excited. Maybe. A little.

-M
[Mostly Harmless]

Sadly by StackyMcRacky (2.00 / 0) #21 Tue Jun 03, 2014 at 06:47:21 PM EST
I don't think we'll be able to make it after all.  Our house situation is totally up in the air right now, and we have no idea when we'll close, move, etc.  Plus, we'll have $0, so renewing passports (or obtaining htem in the case of the kids) isn't likely to happen.

And we have to go to Florida, which makes our financials crappier.

We're totally bummed, we were so looking forward to it.

:( by littlestar (2.00 / 0) #32 Wed Jun 04, 2014 at 02:04:31 PM EST
I thought you guys were coming. I'm very disappointed. Boo.
*twinkle*twinkle*

the house thing by StackyMcRacky (2.00 / 0) #37 Wed Jun 04, 2014 at 04:32:08 PM EST
totally caught us off guard.  it has kind of f'd up our summer plans, even moreso than the stupid Florida trip.

we're bummed, too.

It's a bummer by littlestar (2.00 / 0) #41 Wed Jun 04, 2014 at 08:37:19 PM EST
 To be sure. Don't mean to make you feel worse about it though. I know how life is, crazy. I had just been really looking forward to it. Even told my derby wife she'd get to meet my Internet boyfriend and his family. ;)
I also wanted to squish your boy and have him tell me some stories, evidently I will have to come up and infiltrate on my own time. It's too bad I'm not able to go for derby tourney there in June, cause CBB is in Chicago doing exciting things that prove how necessary he is. Ill be at home. With the kids. Just, you know, doing that, whatever I do. I shall try and plan something anywha. Maybe I can make to guys my vacation at some point, cause, I really need one.
*twinkle*twinkle*

I didn't realize by StackyMcRacky (4.00 / 1) #42 Wed Jun 04, 2014 at 09:00:48 PM EST
you weren't coming in June.  Extra bummer!

Oh, and The Dude won't tell you a story any more, he will read one to you!  DK is the little storyteller these days.

While I feel bummed about not going, I'm also really excited at the prospect of feeling truly settled down for a while.  And so life swirls on...

Me too by clock (2.00 / 0) #40 Wed Jun 04, 2014 at 08:34:18 PM EST
I'm so fucking bummed out. Everything has gone weird because of the house. But we will invade you! We will!

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

Maaaybe? by R343L (4.00 / 1) #22 Tue Jun 03, 2014 at 11:47:04 PM EST
Iola will be almost 9 months. We will have practiced traveling with older, less sleepy baby at the end of this month. But it's a long way away and expensive (~$600/person). So I don't know.

If we did come, we'd probably end up renting a car (or maybe we could go in on a van with MostlyHarmless or someone).

I'm pretty sure by MostlyHarmless (4.00 / 1) #23 Wed Jun 04, 2014 at 04:04:47 AM EST
we could make some arrangements...
[Mostly Harmless]
Oooohhh.... by littlestar (2.00 / 0) #33 Wed Jun 04, 2014 at 02:07:45 PM EST
Maybe's are good. They can turn into yeses. :) I loved travelling with my babies, it gets harder as they get older. Oh money, sadly still doesn't grow on trees. I keep waiting for that invention though....

iola? by the mariner (2.00 / 0) #52 Sat Jun 07, 2014 at 06:55:50 PM EST
mama's family fan?

Not sure what you mean by R343L (2.00 / 0) #54 Sun Jun 08, 2014 at 04:35:45 PM EST
Our name options mostly came from our family. Iola was my paternal grandmother's name.

So tempting by wiredog (4.00 / 3) #25 Wed Jun 04, 2014 at 07:25:07 AM EST
But the descriptions of the last HusiStock indicate fairly large amounts of intoxicants, legal and otherwise, may have been present, which doesn't work well with the whole 20+ years sober thing.

Damn, it sounds like fun though.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

i suspect by aphrael (4.00 / 4) #27 Wed Jun 04, 2014 at 10:13:07 AM EST
i suspect that in this crowd, everyone would respect a decision to not partake and not push you on it.

the question would be more: would the environment itself, with other people partaking, push you on it?

[also, we're all nine years older than we were at the last one which means our consumption patterns have probably changed. :)]

lolwut? by ammoniacal (4.00 / 4) #43 Wed Jun 04, 2014 at 10:59:17 PM EST
9? omg.

what aphrael said by R343L (2.00 / 0) #28 Wed Jun 04, 2014 at 10:45:38 AM EST
Assuming you just don't avoid being around those consuming said substances, I'd like to think hussies would not be assholes about it.

I at least am very unlikely to drink much. Though I suppose some others are likely to drink a fair bit. Drunk people are not always fun to be around.

Hmmmmm by littlestar (4.00 / 1) #36 Wed Jun 04, 2014 at 02:25:53 PM EST
Well I definitely understand how this could be something that would make you hesitate. I was actually pregnant at the last husistock, I just didn't tell anyone so it wouldn't be a deal, but I understand that's not the same situation exactly (I just did a lot of pretending to take swigs and letting people assume whatever they wanted about what I had in my cup). I don't think anyone would be a dick about it at all, but, as aphreal said, it's about what you're comfortable being around. We would certainly love to see you and I agree with aphreal again that it won't be the same as last time. Now we're EVEN older. Hahahahaha.... I'm looking forward to some really nice sitting around and chatting and doing not one whole hell of a lot. That's what I'm looking forward to. :)

Hmm by Gedvondur (4.00 / 1) #26 Wed Jun 04, 2014 at 09:50:10 AM EST
The wife and I are considering it.

She's never been to Toronto.  But it's the week after Men's Camping Weekend....lots of time off of work if I go.

Oooh wife! by littlestar (2.00 / 0) #35 Wed Jun 04, 2014 at 02:19:24 PM EST
That would be fun. :) But I do understand that time of work is not something that is infinite. We have that problem over here as well. It's always so hard balancing summers, too many opportunities not enough time off. If you can make it, it would be neat to see you again.
*twinkle*twinkle*

I have it on my calendar by garlic (4.00 / 1) #29 Wed Jun 04, 2014 at 11:38:57 AM EST
the old dates and the new ones. Now the old ones are removed.

If you can take a check in US dollars without much hassle, I can send one up earmarked for HUSI-stock, just need an address.

Awesome! by littlestar (2.00 / 0) #34 Wed Jun 04, 2014 at 02:11:59 PM EST
Aren't you organized! :) I think last time we took donations through paypal and will be doing that again (I will post that info shortly after actually figuring it out exactly). But, if you would like to send a cheque, I won't say no that! We are at 1448 Gilford Rd., Innisfil, ON L0L 1R0 ON Canada. You can post it to littlestar, Daemon Star, Astra Hemming or, you know... whatever name catches your fancy, I seem to have a number of them now. ;)

hey by 256 (4.00 / 1) #38 Wed Jun 04, 2014 at 05:16:40 PM EST
I'll be there.
I don't think anyone's ever really died from smoking. --ni
Hey I know you by littlestar (2.00 / 0) #39 Wed Jun 04, 2014 at 08:31:23 PM EST
 I'm glad, it has been too long.

we'll try by technician (4.00 / 1) #44 Thu Jun 05, 2014 at 11:09:55 AM EST
But lots of things will need to settle by then. We'll bring lawyers, guns or money. Pick two.

no no by aphrael (4.00 / 3) #45 Thu Jun 05, 2014 at 01:56:55 PM EST
Well then, by technician (4.00 / 3) #46 Thu Jun 05, 2014 at 02:00:56 PM EST
I'll bring guns and money. We have both, though not as much of either as most Texans.

Blast it! by johnny (4.00 / 1) #47 Fri Jun 06, 2014 at 07:05:32 AM EST
That's the week of the annual Sundman family gathering at the beach in New Jersey.  It's always been a 51% positive, 49% negative experience, but I've been doing it for 50 years, so TRADITION!. Plus, my father's gone & my mother may be checking out soon enough (Alzheimers) and Older Daughter will be there with Grandson & counting on having Dear Wife & me there. . . so as much as I'd probably have more fun with my Husian family, I think I'll have to let biological family take precedence.

Have my my beer for me, and take any that you would have given to Wiredog and assign that to me & have it for me too.

That weekend by LoppEar (4.00 / 1) #48 Fri Jun 06, 2014 at 10:46:19 AM EST
actually has a slim possibility, if we're up for the driving we'll be as close as ever. Will let you in July for sure.

Oh!! by littlestar (2.00 / 0) #60 Thu Jun 12, 2014 at 09:44:51 AM EST
 I'm holding my thumbs and crossing my fingers. It would be really awesome to see you guys.
*twinkle*twinkle*

Plan on being there. by dev trash (4.00 / 1) #50 Sat Jun 07, 2014 at 12:27:34 AM EST
Passport was delivered weeks ago.  New apartment has been signed and final move is July 1.  Only thing left to do is make sure I have the time off put into the work calendar ( which I'll do next week once I figure out how long it'll take me to drive.)

I DON'T CARE ABOUT YOUR BALLS! ->clock
Logistics! by yankeehack (4.00 / 1) #51 Sat Jun 07, 2014 at 12:15:16 PM EST
If anyone is flying into Toronto - I'm leaning towards flying up (approx $400 from PHL) and renting a car...I wouldn't mind sharing.

Also, if anyone wants to hang in Toronto itself and explore before/after, let me know...

hmmm by dev trash (2.00 / 0) #53 Sat Jun 07, 2014 at 08:41:36 PM EST
90 minutes from Dulles to Toronto is very very tempting.

I DON'T CARE ABOUT YOUR BALLS! ->clock
I happened by yankeehack (4.00 / 1) #56 Mon Jun 09, 2014 at 01:33:54 PM EST
to be hanging out with a Torontoian yesterday and he said that from Philly to outside of Toronto (I'm not sure where) was approximately 8 hours of driving.
it seems to be 9 by dev trash (2.00 / 0) #57 Mon Jun 09, 2014 at 03:57:53 PM EST
from NoVa.

I DON'T CARE ABOUT YOUR BALLS! ->clock
Took us 9 by littlestar (2.00 / 0) #59 Thu Jun 12, 2014 at 09:42:38 AM EST
 To get from our house, an hour north of Toronto, to clock and Stacey's place in Philly. And I'm so happy you guys are coming. :)

wine/cider by misslake (4.00 / 1) #55 Mon Jun 09, 2014 at 10:41:26 AM EST
i'll come up one day around late june early july with a couple of packets of yeast and a recipe, can you acquire a 23 litre carboy or demijohn? if not, i'll bring one with me. then we can set up a cider or scrumpy to brew. i could also be there a day or two early, maybe july 29 or 30, if you need any help setting up, doing grocery runs for supplies, taking children/guests to beach, or testing porch chairs for quality of relaxation and conversation.

see you soon

Come see us!! by littlestar (2.00 / 0) #58 Thu Jun 12, 2014 at 09:41:21 AM EST
 I have 2 I think. My dads winemaking stuff is here. Truthfully you should take whatever of it you can use when all is said and done. Or I guess make stuff here and leave it, I know they take up space. What about June 28th weekend? Come see us. It's been far too long.
*twinkle*twinkle*

Went from can do to can't do by jimgon (2.00 / 0) #61 Wed Jun 18, 2014 at 09:28:54 PM EST
 Got clobbered with big expenses this spring and college tuition bill coming up.

---------------
Poo by littlestar (2.00 / 0) #62 Thu Jun 26, 2014 at 08:39:54 AM EST
 I totally understand, though that's very too bad.

And now by jimgon (2.00 / 0) #63 Fri Jun 27, 2014 at 06:58:44 AM EST
 It appears a sizable downsizing is about to occur at work. I don't expect to be caught up in it, but....

---------------
I'm sorry to say we can't make it anymore by Gedvondur (2.00 / 0) #64 Thu Jul 10, 2014 at 04:01:59 PM EST
We were unaware that our passports had expired...plus the money just isn't there right now.

I'm so sorry, I really wanted to go.

S