Print Story Soak him in oil till he sprouts a flipper
By TheophileEscargot (Sun May 04, 2014 at 12:10:31 AM EST) Reading, Watching, Me, MLP (all tags)
Reading: "Understanding Comics". Watching: "Captain Phillips". Me. Links.

What I'm Reading
Understanding Comics: The Invisible Art by Scott McCloud. Interesting comic explaining some things about how comics work. I particularly liked the content on how timing works, with the "gutters" between frames used a way to signal time changes; and the notes on how flat and gradient colour is used.

However I didn't think it was quite as good as the similar Comics and Sequential Art by Will Eisner, which I mentioned here.

Overall, pretty interesting.

What I'm Watching
Saw Captain Phillips: Paul Greengrass/Tom Hanks movie about a container ship captain raided by Somali pirates. Good movie: lots of tension, and it goes a bit into the tough lives of the pirates, rather than painting them as cartoonish villains.

It's based on a true story, though the ship's crew reckon the real Phillips was more reckless and complacent than the movie version.

Worth a look though.

Me
Started the new job, but still settling in, seems OK so far. Cutting down on Twitter and web stuff a bit now I'm busy.

Links
Socioeconomics What Piketty Leaves Out

Sci/Tech. Programming sucks.

Articles. Flaws Only A Protagonist Could Have. The rise of the sports management movie. Bertrand Russell replies to Oswald Mosley.

Random. Marthambles. Spacewar for the PDP-1 emulator, via.

< On Her Back | Genuine message from the baby >
Soak him in oil till he sprouts a flipper | 8 comments (8 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Captain Phillips by jimgon (4.00 / 1) #1 Sun May 04, 2014 at 08:50:16 AM EST
I haven't seen the movie and likely won't. One of the things about shipping in that area is that the shipping companies know that the pirates use short range craft and could likely reduce encounters by sailing further out to sea. It's more expensive to sail out to sea so they require captains to continue to use the same routes.  They simply gamble.

---------------
Middle management by Scrymarch (4.00 / 1) #2 Sun May 04, 2014 at 11:16:30 AM EST
Or upper-middle management, in banks and sport teams, may indeed be overcompensated because of their proximity to capital  ... And they may indeed sympathise with the rentier  class ... But these articles miss another dynamic ...

Any healthy social elite requires regular renewal .. That is one of the function of this group, for a small number to join the ranks of capitalists while most do not, but sympathise with capital, are used to having to make resource trade offs, etc.

So it's perfectly possible for that group to be well qualified quantitative underdogs and overcompensated.

Iambic Web Certified

I think I wrote about my encounter with McCloud. by ammoniacal (4.00 / 1) #3 Sun May 04, 2014 at 02:17:13 PM EST
Nearly every published author I've met IRL has been a fucking prick, georgeha excluded. Why is that?

Terry Pratchett seemed a decent bloke by Scrymarch (4.00 / 2) #4 Sun May 04, 2014 at 10:31:02 PM EST
In person.

Iambic Web Certified

His stuff's legitimately funny. by ammoniacal (4.00 / 2) #8 Mon May 05, 2014 at 09:37:58 PM EST
I'd drink with him.

Don't remember reading that by TheophileEscargot (4.00 / 1) #5 Mon May 05, 2014 at 08:05:35 AM EST
But as both a published author and a comics guy, the odds of being a prick seem pretty high...
Thanks! by georgeha (4.00 / 4) #6 Mon May 05, 2014 at 09:20:55 AM EST
I try to stay humble, despite my two or three fans.

cynical comment, neutral comment by iGrrrl (4.00 / 2) #7 Mon May 05, 2014 at 10:45:34 AM EST
In sports management movies, the protagonists are more likely to be white.

I like Understanding Comics. I made my daughter read it for her Comics Girl Scout badge, and she loved it.

"Beautiful wine, talking of scattered everythings"
(and thanks to Scrymarch)