Print Story Another broke summer
Money
By georgeha (Mon May 19, 2014 at 12:39:11 PM EST) hexity goodness, freestyle, bike racks, grad party (all tags)
Plus, depressing local economy, stupid bike racks, A Study in Emerald and other gaming, Canuckistan, graduation party, Ship of Gold in the Deep Blue Sea and less.

I had hoped for a summer that wasn't penny pinching broke, since we're gearing up for loads of college expenses. It wasn't to be.

Mrs. Ha nannies for a family where the mom is a PhD student, almost all she makes goes to Mrs. Ha. But, her professors didn't get funding for her for the summer, she can't afford to pay Mrs. Ha, and there's a $900 monthly hole in our budget.

We won't starve, but we won't make progress on usurious credit card debt, or save for tuition. Mrs. Ha may file for unemployment, may work a few hours a week for the family, or may try to find stuff to sell on ebay. She may also look for a summer job, but it's doubtful she'll find a compatible family on a college schedule.

Maybe we'll have a summer where I come home to cooked meals, and a relaxed, happy wife.

In other money pits, I renewed my Passport. I had hopes the corporation would pay for it, since they only time I've needed it was for a short term international business trip. No luck, but I figured it gave me a competitive advantage over other employees. Still, that's $110 I could have used for other things, just to keep employed.

The local economy is dismal for people with my peculiar skill set, my old manager just showed up last week. He got rehired after being laid off two years ago, and couldn't find anything comparable.

My previous manager just retired last week, she was 65 and a coder. He's her replacement somehow, even if he doesn't code.

Yeah, work is very stressful. I finally met my manager last month, he's offshore. One good thing is a four day weekend coming up, including a four day work week this week.

We are planning a short trip to Toronto to celebrate Mrs. Ha's birthday in June. She had to get her enhanced driver's license, and maybe my Passport will be back by then. Are there any alleys downtown where a battered, rusted minivan with US plates won't be disturbed overnight?

I've been trying to add bike racks to my bike and seventeen_year_old's, but there's apparently no standard for bike racks, so I'm trying to hack something together to mount them without interfering with brakes, etc. The oldest has been riding a lot, even in the dark, so I bought her some LEDs.

My cheap Freestyle mountain bike, handed down from my dad, also had a bad tube. Strangely, the replacement tube has an odd stem, the only pump we have that engages it is a hand held ball pump. It's going to take a while to get to 40 psi.

I've been gaming with people I'm not related to, at least once a month. Last month was A Study in Emerald based on the Gaiman short story. I liked it, nowhere near as fidgety as Arkham Horror, and you can finish it in three hours. Saturday was an ASL SK scenario.

Somehow seventeen_year_old got roped into hosting a graduation party with newspaper_girl and sa_girl. We're kind of irked that newspaper_mom is going all out on graduation party favors, including customized photo printed M&Ms. I never heard of a high school graduation party that gave favors. We're doing what we can without having to spend a lot, see above, another broken summer.

A different friend is asking her to go the prom, so her date would know someone else (they're UU sorts). She had a lame time last year, she doesn't want to waste $50 she can use for better things, and we don't have a spare $50.

A few years ago I picked up Ship of Gold in the Deep Blue Sea from a library sale, and finally got around to reading it. It's a story about a gold rush ship sinking near North Carolina with hundreds (thousands?) of pounds of gold, and attempts find and recover the gold under thousands of feet of water. It ended up a positive note, but subsequently all the gold is locked up for a trial with the insurance companies, the protagonist is missing, maybe on Key West.

I should be more grateful and less whiny. My brother_in_law is dealing with liver failure and hasn't found a hospital willing to try a transplant. The Buffalo hospital is suggesting stay at home hospice, and Strong won't take him. My sister is hoping for good news from Pittsburgh.

< Vigilante | Successful troll >
Another broke summer | 21 comments (21 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Less whiny by jimgon (4.00 / 4) #1 Mon May 19, 2014 at 06:35:32 PM EST
 Everyone has the right to whine now and then.

---------------
The local economy is dismal by wiredog (4.00 / 3) #2 Tue May 20, 2014 at 07:13:52 AM EST
Dude, you have got to get out of there. A coder with some management skills, and experience doing onsite support? Take a look at what's available in Boston, DC, SF. Even Boulder CO.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

This. by Metatone (4.00 / 3) #5 Tue May 20, 2014 at 08:27:54 AM EST
You obviously like the area - but it's killing you.

I'm not a coder by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #6 Tue May 20, 2014 at 08:54:09 AM EST
other than some short shell scripts and a passing knowledge of PostScript.

Bay Area by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #17 Tue May 20, 2014 at 11:56:07 PM EST
Interns make $90k.  Sure, housing prices are atrocious, but everything else stays the same price.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
Hmm, The Fifty Year Old Intern by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #19 Wed May 21, 2014 at 07:48:02 AM EST
anyone have Apatow's number?

Buddha said by johnny (4.00 / 3) #3 Tue May 20, 2014 at 07:30:37 AM EST
life is suffering, and he warn't kidding. Of course he was a narcissist and a foreigner to boot, so I don't know why I bring him up. I guess just in solidarity with your struggles, which sound familiar to me -- though my youngest child is now 26 and living in Africa. . . But well do I remember those high school times, when we didn't didn't seem to go a day without being reminded that we were broke.

As for Wiredog's suggestion that you get out of Rochester, I understand what he's saying, but also understand that uprooting kids in high school is a precarious proposition. Dealing with a hardscrabble family situation is often easier than dealing with being uprooted from the only life you've known, just when you're (presumably) coming into your own as an adult.

Plus moving takes time, money and effort by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #7 Tue May 20, 2014 at 10:39:56 AM EST
all three of which are in very short supply.

Plus there's that whole Climate Change, I like being 540 feet above sea level with plenty of fresh water.

New England by jimgon (2.00 / 0) #16 Tue May 20, 2014 at 08:38:49 PM EST
 Seriously man. The land of milk and honey.

Though moving costs are not cheap.

---------------
That would be an easy sell by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #18 Wed May 21, 2014 at 07:45:53 AM EST
other than the money thing.

110 clams to renew a passport? by Bob Abooey (4.00 / 2) #4 Tue May 20, 2014 at 08:07:22 AM EST
What a racket. It makes you wonder if Bush bombed the world trade centers in order to drive revenues for the passport office. Just sayin.

Anyways - we spent our vacation in April but I want to take a 4 day weekend somewhere - not sure where. We would like to do DC or maybe Chicago but will likely end up driving to Presque Isle unless we can get an amazing bargain for airfare. DC would be doable as all the museums are FREE (like NPR and MP3's) but to stay in a location close to the action you have to pony up. Maybe the compromise is to stay out of town by a metro station.

Warmest regards,
--Your best pal Bob

How's my blogging: Call me at 209.867.5309 to complain.

Rockville MD seemed to have by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #8 Tue May 20, 2014 at 11:07:22 AM EST
a few reasonably priced hotels when I was there 10 years ago.

True by Bob Abooey (4.00 / 1) #9 Tue May 20, 2014 at 03:22:33 PM EST
You can get three nights (Friday, Sat, and Sun) for $290 at the Hilton in Rockville - that's about 400 clams better than the hotels in DC near the White House. But - Rockville is about 20 miles out... We really enjoyed our stay last Summer when we were a half mile from the WH and could stroll down there in the evenings to wander around the area.

Really though - we're looking at over 500 clams for airfare for two - that's the killer. Driving would be cheaper but it's 12 hours roundtrip which eats up a lot of time when you're only doing Friday through Monday. Plus it's a giant pain in the arse.

I'd love to make a Toronto trip again (it's been 10 years since I've been up there) but not getting a passport to do so!

Warmest regards,
--Your best pal Bob

How's my blogging: Call me at 209.867.5309 to complain.

No option for an Enhanced Driver's License? by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #11 Tue May 20, 2014 at 04:13:53 PM EST
That's what Mrs. Ha got, $35 and she can drive into and out of Canada.

Not yet by Bob Abooey (4.00 / 1) #14 Tue May 20, 2014 at 05:51:22 PM EST
Ohiao doesn't offer them just yet - although it seems they're working on legislation to make it happen.

Warmest regards,
--Your best pal Bob

How's my blogging: Call me at 209.867.5309 to complain.

Makes sense by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #15 Tue May 20, 2014 at 06:55:16 PM EST
Probably too many Ohioan's thought driving to Canada involved going through Lake Erie.

So would you go back there? by barooo (4.00 / 2) #10 Tue May 20, 2014 at 03:59:00 PM EST
[nt]

man, i need a beefy taco now.
-gzt
Probably by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #12 Tue May 20, 2014 at 04:16:30 PM EST
First time was for work, I found a cheap dive hotel across the parking lot from the customer. Unfortunately, this was just after Buffalo took our area code (716) from us, and they hadn't updated their telecom software. I couldn't call anyone in the 585 area code, which would have been team mates,  developers, vice presidents, etc.

I bitched and got rebooked to a Doubletree a few miles up the road, which had a Metro station behind them.

A few years later when we went to Baltimore for my sister's graduation, we did a side trip to the Zoo, parking the Vasa in that lot and taking the Metro in.

Don't go back to Rockville! by Bob Abooey (4.00 / 2) #13 Tue May 20, 2014 at 05:46:49 PM EST

Warmest regards,
--Your best pal Bob

How's my blogging: Call me at 209.867.5309 to complain.

I'm glad [nt] by barooo (4.00 / 1) #20 Wed May 21, 2014 at 05:09:47 PM EST
someone saw what I did there.

man, i need a beefy taco now.
-gzt
I like REM by Bob Abooey (2.00 / 0) #21 Thu May 22, 2014 at 12:40:02 PM EST
n to the t.

Warmest regards,
--Your best pal Bob

How's my blogging: Call me at 209.867.5309 to complain.

Another broke summer | 21 comments (21 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback