Print Story Give me any beer I'll drink it
Educashun
By georgeha (Wed Apr 09, 2014 at 11:55:57 AM EST) Milwaukee, H-D, redirect, Atkinson (all tags)
buy me any lunch I'll eat it

Plus, failure of the get mediocre grades and get involved in lots of activities college entrance plan, a Richard Dreyfuss mini-film festival, the Good Guys win and less.

Poll: Best Dreyfuss movie?

I forgot how much fun a laptop with battery life is when traveling. The XP I got rid of last fall had about a one minute life. Now I can use up my free trial wifi access at various airports without hunting for a plug.

I just got back from a short trip to Milwaukee. I spent less than forty eight hours on the ground there, for a long term customer problem. I had vague hopes of Wisconsin being in the championship game so I could watch it in Milwaukee, and then watch the rioting. No luck, perhaps my Buffalo kharma infected the Badgers.

I also had high hopes for good beer at the complimentary Happy Hour at the hotel. No luck there, it was Miller Lite. I finished my glass and went off to a mediocre steak house, the only place in walking distance of the airport/industrial area.

We finished up early enough Tuesday so I could take a trip to the Harley-Davidson museum, it was Ten Dollar Tuesday. I liked it, if you like Harley's you'd probably really like it a lot. The Hells Angels were only alluded to, I had hoped to see a real chopped hog.

I'm back, and exhausted.

We watched Close Encounters of the Third Kind the other night, one thing I like about Spielberg is that he shows real, cluttered, middle class homes from the 1970's. I enjoyed seeing the old cars, fashiosn, boxes of Kentucky Fried, computers, and TV cameras that used film. Future generations will wonder why old movie cameras had mouse ears.

A few nights later was American Graffiti, from the library, which was great up until 20 minutes before the end when seventeen_year_old asked me to fix her laptop, from a yahoo redirect virus in Chrome. I warned my kids to never get good at computers, because you'll never have private time. Assholes will always want to interrupt you to fix their computers.

Yeah, it pissed me off and put a huge damper on the evening.

In other seventeen_year_old news, she didn't get into SUNY-Binghamton.

She and Mrs. Ha went to a new student orientation at RIT, they liked it. They have a program for people who don't know what they want to do. It's an intense dorm where they expose you to lots of different things. She likes that. Apparently there is only one other program like that in the US.

Somehow, making microwave mac and cheese without enough water smells like pot, at least that's what the dorm guide said.

Mrs. Ha thinks it would be good for seventeen_year_old, she was aimless and directionless in high school too. She thinks the reason the seventeen_year_old has mediocre grades is she has no goal, excellence for it's own reason is not enough.

We'll meet up a financial aid rep and see what else they can provide.

I did a quick look at the new non-fiction rack at the library and found Atkinson's Guns at Last Light , so of course I took it with me. I used to feel funny about taking library books on trips, but I've been wanting to finish the trilogy to see how it turns out. The Good Guys Won.

< Red rum, red rum | Always use utf-8 >
Give me any beer I'll drink it | 13 comments (13 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Re: mac and cheese by gmd (4.00 / 2) #1 Wed Apr 09, 2014 at 12:24:55 PM EST
 It's definitely true. FACT. (Why would anyone lie about that?)

gmd - HuSi's second most dimwitted overprivileged user.
I think Mrs. Ha was amused by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #2 Wed Apr 09, 2014 at 12:32:26 PM EST
and a little irked that they assumed the parents were so sheltered and uptight they'd believe it.

Age by ucblockhead (4.00 / 3) #5 Wed Apr 09, 2014 at 07:15:33 PM EST
We've warned the boy that he won't get away with things because "we'll know", but I suspect he'll think we're too naive about these things to notice.  He'll probably never find out that his mother was a massive pothead in college and that his dad was really into psychedelics.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
She's very pro-legalization by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #11 Thu Apr 10, 2014 at 11:01:18 AM EST
but then again, many of the kids in her major (Theatre Tech), skip school or get suspended on April 20th, and she has cousins where pot smoking is the least of their troubles.

I frequently meet late teens/early twenties in AA by wiredog (4.00 / 2) #7 Thu Apr 10, 2014 at 07:47:45 AM EST
who are surprised that their parents knew exactly what was up. Even after they meet the nearly 50 year old guy with a TS clearance, preppy clothes, and a history of abusing every drug he encountered, they are amazed that their parents, too, were teenagers once.

This seems to go away when they hit thirty, or have kids, or both.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

It's a youngster thing by georgeha (4.00 / 3) #12 Thu Apr 10, 2014 at 11:02:26 AM EST
thinking they're the first ones to experience sex and drugs and feelings.

so .. by sasquatchan (4.00 / 1) #3 Wed Apr 09, 2014 at 03:01:56 PM EST
WTF is ten dollar tuesday, since teh internets isn't helping me figure it out.

And "oh, you're just like me" coming from mom isn't some type of motivation for 17yr old ?

Normal admission to the HD Museum is $18 by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #4 Wed Apr 09, 2014 at 03:13:53 PM EST
for adults who aren't veterans. But, October through April, it's $10 on Tuesday.

We may have sheltered our daughters too well from all the trials and tribulations Mrs. Ha has suffered from in not having a degree. They may not equate the financial sacrifices of being a nearly single income household with her educational background.

Then again, teenage logic.

Seventeen_year_old is smarter than me because while I got better grades in high school than she does, it was because I studied a little bit.

I got higher SAT scores than she did, even though she took a prep class. That was because I studied a bit in school, she's still smarter.

the average young person is smarter than you by bobdole (4.00 / 2) #8 Thu Apr 10, 2014 at 07:53:46 AM EST
IQ has steadily increased as long as we have measured it with controlled instruments.

According to the Flynn Effect... 3-4 generations the IQ would have increased by so much that the first generation would be borderline "retarded" according to modern standards. Something to think about...
-- The revolution will not be televised.

I won't comment on the inherent racism by gmd (4.00 / 2) #9 Thu Apr 10, 2014 at 09:35:46 AM EST
 In IQ testing, as that has been covered exhaustively elsewhere. I would just like to share this quote because I like it.

gmd - HuSi's second most dimwitted overprivileged user.
baby and bathwater by bobdole (4.00 / 2) #10 Thu Apr 10, 2014 at 10:53:38 AM EST
while IQ-testing has been used for all sorts of purposes, the Flynn effect remains fairly prominent also when testing within relatively unchanged populations...

The quote is still funny... my father went through the same experience, he became wiser as I grew older. Funny.
-- The revolution will not be televised.

Mine too n/t by gmd (2.00 / 0) #13 Thu Apr 10, 2014 at 01:04:17 PM EST

gmd - HuSi's second most dimwitted overprivileged user.
Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead by Scrymarch (4.00 / 1) #6 Thu Apr 10, 2014 at 01:57:40 AM EST
"We're actors! We're the opposite of people!"

Iambic Web Certified