Print Story Anonimouses Half Century
By anonimouse (Sun Apr 27, 2014 at 03:42:18 AM EST) happy birthday, candles (all tags)
I am sipping a cup of tea reflecting that I have been on this planet for 50 years.

Computing nostalgia and cake combined inside....

Should I shudder or should the world.

My brothers wife gave me this amazing birthday cake in the shape of my first computer - an Acorn Atom, complete with keyboard and lettering. It was extremely tasty too.

Takes you back to those heady days when 12K of memory was a lot (well 13K due to a clever bit of soldering) and 256x192 was high resolution. I bought the computer as a kit and due to my amazing soldering, it didn't work, so I had a friend at ICL who sorted out the dry/bad joints (he later set up an Apple/Acorn dealership). He later had to sort out the crappy power regulation, but couldn't do anything about the fact that the ICs were mounted in sockets on the same PCB as the keyboard on the underside, so enough keyboard tapping and gravity would cause the chips to break loose.

The first computer programs I wrote were a Monitor/Debugger/Disassembler and a version of Pong - my version could play Squash and doubles. Now almost anybody can create a version of Flappy Bird in hours and even basic 3d games are not out of reach.
< I'm still here. | Do the people want UKIP >
Anonimouses Half Century | 11 comments (11 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Happy half century by hulver (4.00 / 4) #1 Sun Apr 27, 2014 at 07:45:24 AM EST
Cheers, and here's to another!
Cheese is not a hat. - clock
Happy Birthday! by purr (4.00 / 1) #2 Sun Apr 27, 2014 at 01:16:24 PM EST
More power to you until the next decade of life!!!

Life is good when you are young. Then it sucks when you are old. And then you die. Live it while you got it.
Heh, heh, heh... by atreides (4.00 / 1) #3 Sun Apr 27, 2014 at 04:47:58 PM EST
You're old, fucker!

He sails from world to world in a flying tomb, serving gods who eat hope.

Congrats on reaching the summit. by ammoniacal (4.00 / 1) #4 Sun Apr 27, 2014 at 05:28:29 PM EST
Sadly, all of your Sherpas died, so it'll be a lonely descent.

Happy b-day & congrats. by dark nowhere (4.00 / 1) #5 Mon Apr 28, 2014 at 12:37:14 AM EST
That is one hecka rad cake.

It's weird that we've now got roughly 2^20x resources on our desktop systems, but a few devices still exist with less than 100KB of memory available. In fact it wasn't that long ago I heard of someone needing to fit their firmware in 2KB.

Small-memory systems are great in a way. You know exactly which rules you need to break and how you need to break them. Up to a point code becomes more regular because there's only one direction it can take when it goes off the rails. Of course at some point you've got Guy L. Steele Jr. talking about a clever program/bootloader combo that fits on a punchcard in 80 bits or whatever.

Chill out, snowflake.

Congrats! by TheophileEscargot (4.00 / 4) #6 Mon Apr 28, 2014 at 05:36:05 AM EST
The survey showed that people start out at age 18 feeling pretty good. However, they feel progressively worse until they hit 50. But after that point, people begin getting happier as they age. By the time they are 85, they are even more satisfied with themselves than they were at 18.
Still 35 years of increasing happiness to go!
Acorn Atom by jump the ladder (2.00 / 0) #7 Mon Apr 28, 2014 at 07:22:26 AM EST
Got a VIc 20 instead of that (pre-BBC/Speccy/C64 days) as it was a bit pricey and no colour.

Happy Birthday! by ucblockhead (4.00 / 3) #8 Mon Apr 28, 2014 at 11:48:19 AM EST
Just remember, x/2 + 7 == 32.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
I've just been doing that sum by anonimouse (4.00 / 5) #10 Mon Apr 28, 2014 at 12:40:20 PM EST
..and come up with 19

Girls come and go but a mortgage is for 25 years -- JtL
Happy birthday! by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #9 Mon Apr 28, 2014 at 12:00:19 PM EST

I initially interpreted this as by riceowlguy (2.00 / 0) #11 Wed May 21, 2014 at 04:26:15 PM EST
you having rode, or preparing to ride, a bike for 50 miles.

Hooray for phrase overloading.

Anonimouses Half Century | 11 comments (11 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback