Print Story I'm still here.
Furries
By hulver (Sat Apr 26, 2014 at 03:48:04 PM EST) (all tags)
Still bimbling about.

Work

Financial troubles at work are continuing. Mushroom management from the owners of the company leaves me unsure exactly what's going on. Supposedly we're just coming out of the bad patch now, and things will improve. We shall see. There are now a grand total of two developers in the entire company, down from 12 or so when I started. It doesn't leave me with much of a team to lead.

I could do with finding more ways to make a bit of extra cash. Lack of any sort of payrise over the last x years is leaving things a bit tight. RR has a better paying job now, which is a relief, but we've got some debts that we want rid of sooner rather than later. The end of every month seems to leave us wondering how to squeeze another weeks shopping out of what's left in the bank account.

Wondering if there's any way to take on small developing jobs that might being a bit of extra cash in, but I don't have any idea of where to look for something like that.

Home

D1 is currently revising for and starting end of school exams. Moving on to 'A' Levels next year. She is quite stressed about it. She's definitely left the more firey phase of teenagerhood.

D2 seems to be entering her teens with bit of a grumpy phase. She's nice most of the time, but has her moments.

It is mine and RR's first anniversary soon. We're having a long weekend away in a small cabin in Wales with the dogs. Looking forward to it.

Weight

I've managed to put back on all the weight I lost last year. Which is a bit disheartening. I know why I've put it all back on, it's because I'm eating too much rubbish and not watching out for what I eat anymore. That needs to change.

Cycling

I've not done any proper rides yet this year. That's bad news. My ambitions this year a bit smaller than last year, I've got one 400km ride lined up in July. I do need to start getting some miles in though. I've just been commuting this year.

There have been a few shocks on a cycling forum I'm a member of.

First was somebody who I admire a lot had a heart attack while out on an Audax ride. It's unknown if it was a full on heart attack, or what exactly happened, but reading about it shook me up a bit. I really admire him and his partner. They do a lot of Audax rides and really rack up the miles. For somebody as fit as him to have a problem like that woke me up to how important it is to keep fit and look after yourself.
I can't go on thinking that stuff like that couldn't happen to me. I should do something before I get a warning like that myself.

Second was the death of somebody else in a hit and run. Again a long distance cycle rider, killed by somebody who didn't even stop.

It makes me sad and angry at the same time. I see quite a lot of very poor driving when I'm out on my bike (and when I'm in the car to be honest). Why don't people take more care? One slip, and you could end a life. Just because you couldn't be bothered to pay attention. It isn't a game, wake up.

Grrrr

Sorry. I think I rant on about that too much to people around me.

In other news

There is no other news tonight. ReboundRabbit says "Hi" to everybody.

I am following everything that goes on here, although I don't comment much. I hope that people having health problems get over them soon, or find some resolution that they can be happy with, at the very least.

< Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose | Anonimouses Half Century >
I'm still here. | 10 comments (10 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Happy anniversary to you both! by johnny (2.00 / 0) #1 Sat Apr 26, 2014 at 09:03:16 PM EST
As to moneyworries: I for one know exactly how that kind of stress feels. As do, I'm sure, many of our fellow Husites. It's not fun but it's not unbearable. It's just life.

A few years ago a woman I had known in college in the 1970, full of life, a prominent activist for social change & justice in The Bronx in New York -- a decidedly "downscale" part of the city -- was killed while riding a bike in Manhattan. In this case it wasn't a hit and run, just someone who opened  a car door without looking in the mirror. It was pretty shocking.

I've learned that people who run marathons, do extreme bike rides, etc, are sometimes more prone to heart attacks than people who are fit but who don't do extreme things. Evidently they can produce a lot of stress hormones which are bad for the heart. As I recall, Bill Rodgers, who won the Boston Marathon four or five times died of a heart attack at a relatively young age. On the other hand I basically don't know what I'm talking about so kindly ignore the foregoing.

I myself have been on a bit of a fitness kick these last few months. Starting to see some results. Think I'll diarize about it one of these days.

But mainly, enjoy Wales.

Too much exercise actually places strain by Dr H0ffm4n (2.00 / 0) #9 Sun May 04, 2014 at 06:28:00 PM EST
A recent study (gityf citation here) showed that 2/5 hours a week of moderate exercise has the best correlation to longevity.

s/2\/5 hours/2.5 hours/ by Dr H0ffm4n (2.00 / 0) #10 Sun May 04, 2014 at 06:29:32 PM EST

Aaargh, a year! by TheophileEscargot (2.00 / 0) #2 Mon Apr 28, 2014 at 05:30:08 AM EST
Seems like yesterday. Truly it is said: Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana.
Riding by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #3 Mon Apr 28, 2014 at 06:48:01 AM EST
If I can do 100 miles/week I can lose weight. The long winter here in east coast USia has made that difficult. Last couple of weeks have been better.

If I was looking for side-jobs, I'd ask around to friends who do that sort of work.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

100 mi/week by ObviousTroll (2.00 / 0) #5 Mon Apr 28, 2014 at 04:26:32 PM EST
Is my goal, more than that cuts too much into my work schedule. I usually get 60 mi/week in the work commutes then do a 40-60 mile ride on the weekend.

I have no idea how Hulver manages to do 400km rides but still worries about his fitness....

An Angry and Flatulent Pig, Trying to Tie Balloon Animals
My work hours by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #6 Tue Apr 29, 2014 at 07:01:32 AM EST
are 6 AM to 230 PM M-Th, and 6 to Noon Friday. With a 20 minute commute. So I can get home and get on the bike by 3 and ride 2 hours before dinner. If the weather's nice I can ride 3 or 4 hours before dinner on Friday. If I miss a day or two during the week, I can ride on the weekend.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Happy anniversary... by Metatone (2.00 / 0) #4 Mon Apr 28, 2014 at 09:05:07 AM EST
The money thing is a conundrum.

I've been looking at learning to write phone apps as that seems the main area that defined projects are around in at the moment.

Happy anniversary! by miserere (4.00 / 1) #7 Tue Apr 29, 2014 at 08:32:21 AM EST
I can't believe it's been a year already. In preparation for upgrading my phone, I went through a bunch of pics from my time in England, and there are some pretty awesome ones of you and RR -- you guys looked so incredibly happy, and money issues aside, it sounds like you still are.

Here's to many more years together!

(And "hi" back to RR!)

fitness by garlic (2.00 / 0) #8 Tue Apr 29, 2014 at 12:57:49 PM EST
I don't know cycling, but I do know running. And recent studies have shown that extreme runners, (those who run marathons year after year after year) are more prone to heart attacks than runners who keep their max distance races lower than 13 miles at a time or so.

I'm still here. | 10 comments (10 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback