Print Story Help me Londonian infidels
Travel
By georgeha (Tue Mar 11, 2014 at 11:30:15 AM EST) London, anime, Star Wars (all tags)
You're seventeen_year_old's only hope.

Plus, working through the Miyazaki/geek canon.

Poll: Favorite Miyazaki?

Trip planning for seventeen_year_old and newspaper_girl's GS sponsored trip to the UK is in full force, and there's conflict.

Initially the plan was to fly into Edinburgh on a Wednesday morning, take the Hogwarts express to London, spend four days there sightseeing, take the Hogwarts express back to Edinburgh, spend a few days there and fly out. Total time in the UK, a week. Seventeen_year_old and newspaper_girl were not happy about that. They first suggested they stay alone a few extra days, then they suggested everyone stay a few extra days.

So, at last Thursday's meeting with mandatory parental involvement, everyone staying a few extras days was agreed upon, with no chance in Hell of them staying alone. A few days ago, at a cookie booth sale, they were back to one week.

She's citing cost, which is most likely due to us, as the other two girls have no problem funding this. Every extra day is about $200 more.

The leader is a hyper-organized sort who wants to know why they want to stay longer, since they already have every day filled with activities, and no other activities have been asked for.

Seventeen_year_old wants some unplanned downtime for serendipitous adventures. That probably won't fly, but if there were things they could ask for to schedule, they might get an extra day or two?

So, what's cool and cheap in London that would appeal to two tee-totalling eighteen_year_olds? Ideally something that might involve running into Matt Smith, Chameleon Circuit or Benedict Cumbersnatch.

In twelve_year_old news, I'm exposing her to the geek canon, and we're working our way through Miyazaki. We've gone through the Indiana Jones movies, and finished A New Hope Lucas updated edition where Greedo missed from six feet away complemented by the original scene Sunday.
On the 1st we went to see The Wind Rises, which was pretty good. I would have preferred more alloys and less tb. Vote in my poll!

Since it's a new year, we have new health insurance and a new mail order pharmacy. Coupled with a less and less caring doctor, Mrs. Ha has had a difficult time getting all our scripts filled, and they insurance company owes us $65. She had an appointment on January 3rd, but they hadn't sent us cards yet, so they charged her full price. Best health care system in the world.

< I used to joke about this | Buy it, sell it, the game's getting hard >
Help me Londonian infidels | 16 comments (16 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
freedom isn't free by gzt (2.00 / 0) #1 Tue Mar 11, 2014 at 12:50:48 PM EST
if healthcare were provided by the government, your soul would be empty.

Government help to poor children ruins their souls by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #3 Tue Mar 11, 2014 at 01:01:16 PM EST
Case in point, Paul Ryan.

WIPO by aphrael (4.00 / 1) #2 Tue Mar 11, 2014 at 12:55:50 PM EST
Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind.
WIPO: Porco Rosso by nathan (2.00 / 0) #4 Tue Mar 11, 2014 at 03:11:36 PM EST

London while sober sounds dreadful. by ammoniacal (4.00 / 1) #5 Tue Mar 11, 2014 at 09:12:21 PM EST
I mean, really, really awful. She should just drink to excess and puke in the gutter like the natives.

Nah by toxicfur (2.00 / 0) #9 Wed Mar 12, 2014 at 09:00:14 AM EST
I was sober for most of my Londonium adventures (save the LHuSi meetup at the Anchor) and I had a blast. I'd recommend museums as well - the British Museum was fascinating from a "wow, colonizers collect an assload of stuff" perspective. Also, I had a pretty great time trying out some of the walking tours listed in my travel guide (IIRC, I got the Lonely Planet guide? I don't actually remember, though).
Most of the museums and art galleries are free by jump the ladder (2.00 / 0) #6 Wed Mar 12, 2014 at 05:44:27 AM EST
The Tate Modern is cool for teenagers and the others have world famous collections.

Is Banksy having a show in July? by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #8 Wed Mar 12, 2014 at 08:52:14 AM EST
It would pretty cool to get a selfie with him.

I'd suggest by gmd (2.00 / 0) #7 Wed Mar 12, 2014 at 08:32:53 AM EST
Spitalfields Market and it's Shoreditch environs (to see the hipsters in their rapidly corporatising environment).

Also, the top secret unofficial UK Troll High Council HQ is worth a visit. Even teetotallers should experience a 'traditional' British pub.

Finally, it goes without saying that she should familiarise herself with the definitive travel guide for Americans visiting the UK...

gmd - HuSi's second most dimwitted overprivileged user.
WIPO by riceowlguy (4.00 / 2) #10 Wed Mar 12, 2014 at 01:27:28 PM EST
Kiki's Delivery Service, specifically the Disney English dub with Phil Hartmann as the cat.

Also by riceowlguy (4.00 / 1) #11 Wed Mar 12, 2014 at 01:28:06 PM EST
My Neighbor Totoro

Totoro is sweet by aphrael (4.00 / 1) #14 Fri Mar 14, 2014 at 03:43:25 PM EST
and the cat bus is unforgettable ... but it's very much a young children's movie, which isn't (IMO) where Miyazaki shines.
Why did I forget that one? by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #12 Wed Mar 12, 2014 at 07:28:29 PM EST
We saw it Saturday night, though I like Spirited Away better.

Kiki's delivery service by aphrael (2.00 / 0) #13 Fri Mar 14, 2014 at 03:42:53 PM EST
is a surprisingly sweet coming-of-age movie in which the heroine is a girl ... which is very, very unusual; most coming-of-age stories in our culture are male-centric.
Not in the Miyazaki canon by riceowlguy (2.00 / 0) #15 Fri Mar 14, 2014 at 03:53:23 PM EST
I mean, maybe you don't count them all as "coming-of-age stories" but a solid majority of the ones I've seen have young female heroines and at at least in part about overcoming adversity, finding oneself, etc. - the usual coming-of-age themes.

agreed on miyazaki by aphrael (2.00 / 0) #16 Fri Mar 14, 2014 at 03:58:31 PM EST
although really very few of his other movies seem to be as clearly coming-of-age stories. Maybe "Arriety", and arguably "Spirited Away", but otherwise?
Help me Londonian infidels | 16 comments (16 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback