Print Story A light at the end of the tunnel
Educashun
By georgeha (Thu Feb 20, 2014 at 12:59:15 PM EST) college, RIT, PSU, UB (all tags)
albeit, a very expensive light.

2013 was hard, mostly because it was focused on college admissions. We're talking tent camping in New York City on a hot week while driving a battered minivan through four boroughs in one day and getting bit by ticks in Massachusetts hard. Multiple flat tires, avoiding Chris Christie in New Jersey and visiting Bridgeport Connecticut hard. I have pics, too.

That said, it was pretty cool to tent camp on Staten Island. Maybe we'll camp in Brooklyn next.

Thankfully newspaper_mom took 17_year_old on a college hunting trip through New England, where Northeastern became the reach school. Thankfully because we couldn't afford it, while the newspapers are all about New England.

Thankfully my dad took us to visit Penn State, since we couldn't afford it, either. Seventeen_year_old was amazed at the concept of school spirit, as her high school has little, and few of her college visits had any.

Mrs. Ha and I did take her to UB (twice) and SUNY Fredonia, so we didn't totally outsource the college hunt.

Anyhow, she got her first acceptance letter, to the Rochester Institute of Technology. She applied there because the aquatics center has a lazy river tube ride.

I think this means we no longer have to throw money away on college entrance exams in hopes that lightning will strike for her scores.

We're still waiting to hear from UB, SUNY Binghamton and Northeastern. The first two should be affordable. The last will probably be a thin letter, I doubt her really good essay and various activities will compensate for mediocre grades and test scores.

We do have another daughter who is doing very well in middle school. She's doing so well she should end up in on the Honors track next year, or the track right below Honors but above normal.

< Drunk and driven by a devil's hunger | Pick up the General >
A light at the end of the tunnel | 17 comments (17 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
I can't image by Bob Abooey (4.00 / 1) #1 Thu Feb 20, 2014 at 01:22:02 PM EST
The thought of having to pay for someone to make their way through a 4 year university at the 2014 rate card is completely beyond me.

I mean - I get stressed out about having to buy flea and heartworm pills for my dogs on a monthly basis - let alone having real responsibility involving other humans.

My pants are off to you my good sir!

Warmest regards,
--Your best pal Bob

How's my blogging: Call me at 209.867.5309 to complain.

Imagine your dogs had to be somewhere by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #2 Thu Feb 20, 2014 at 01:37:50 PM EST
early every morning. Yet they run around all night, go to sleep late, and require a serious amount of effort to get out the door in the morning, and are cranky.

Imagine that they monopolize the bathroom for an hour before going to bed. If they get in their before you do, forget about going to bed for a while.

Imagine if about once a month your dogs demanded to be taken to the vet, for pains when they bend their leg like that, or turn their neck like this.

That said, SUNY will run about 17k a year including room and board. If she stays home, we have to feed her anyhow.

You could, I suppose by riceowlguy (4.00 / 1) #3 Thu Feb 20, 2014 at 01:55:01 PM EST
just kick her out when she turns eighteen.  Right?  What's the law on that?

Sure, we could by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #4 Thu Feb 20, 2014 at 02:01:39 PM EST
But she's not a bad kid, she's not into drugs or sex or violence, just self centered and not self aware, you know, a teenager.

It would be good for her to learn to live with people who aren't legally responsible for her, who don't have to like her, and for her to learn to live with the consequences of her actions. You know, dorm life.

Dorm life by marvin (4.00 / 4) #5 Thu Feb 20, 2014 at 02:14:53 PM EST
Definitely one of the better places to get caught up on what she's been missing in regards to drugs, sex, and violence.

I did lie by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #6 Thu Feb 20, 2014 at 02:19:07 PM EST
she likes coffee, and sugar.

She's shown little interest in alcohol or weed, though she thinks weed should be legal. Many of the students in her major are stoners, as well as a few classmates, and they don't do as well as they could.

As far as sex, she's very modest about it. We think she's straight, but unlikely to fall for anyone who isn't a BBC TV star.

Sure, but by riceowlguy (2.00 / 0) #7 Thu Feb 20, 2014 at 02:24:41 PM EST
I have often mulled things over about this and I think I might have had a better college experience if I had had to pay for it myself.  I think I would have paid more attention if it had been my money I was wasting by skipping class, etc.  And I might have taken more seriously the need to keep my GPA high enough to keep my scholarships.

She makes $8 an hour and has no car by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #8 Thu Feb 20, 2014 at 02:31:28 PM EST
I doubt she could get full time hours at the Y, so she would be struggling to pay rent, transportation, food, health insurance, medical expenses and tuition on maybe 20 hours a week, or $160 pretax.

Now, if she flunks out she moves home, works at the Y and takes classes at the local CC. If she gets C and D work we're not going to pay for her to go away to college, she can come home, work part-time at the Y and take a few classes at the local CC.

I hear you by jimgon (2.00 / 0) #9 Thu Feb 20, 2014 at 08:50:11 PM EST
 Seventeen year old out on the college hunt. Paying for it is the question.

---------------
How is UMass in-state tuition? by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #10 Thu Feb 20, 2014 at 11:44:34 PM EST
SUNY instate is very reasonable, about 17k a year room and board. We can swing that with her savings, and maybe a loan on her part.

MA University by jimgon (2.00 / 0) #15 Sun Feb 23, 2014 at 02:35:50 PM EST
 U-Mass Amherst is $14k tuition and $10k room and board. Worcester State University (where I went) is $8k tuition and $11k room and board. We can afford Worcester State with no loans if she lives at home.

---------------
Western New England? by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #16 Sun Feb 23, 2014 at 03:02:28 PM EST
I liked it, but the oldest found it way too paternalistic. They did seem to offer a lot of money.

Possible by jimgon (2.00 / 0) #17 Sun Feb 23, 2014 at 04:27:57 PM EST
But that would require being a dorm student which we would be back to not being able to afford.

---------------
GI Bill is still a pretty good deal. by wiredog (4.00 / 1) #11 Fri Feb 21, 2014 at 06:44:23 AM EST
And private schools have scholarship funds and various grants.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

You'd think the Army would be a good fit by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #12 Fri Feb 21, 2014 at 07:58:59 AM EST
She likes to camp, hike and shoot.

But, it's the uniform thing, she can't express her sense of fashion and her individuality in a uniform.

Can she code? by Bob Abooey (4.00 / 1) #13 Fri Feb 21, 2014 at 10:41:50 AM EST
She may do better by skipping college and instead setting up a workstation in your garage where she can develop the next WhatsApp or snapchat app.

Seriously - how hard can it be?

Warmest regards,
--Your best pal Bob

How's my blogging: Call me at 209.867.5309 to complain.

That would be the youngest by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #14 Fri Feb 21, 2014 at 10:44:25 AM EST
who likes to code with Lego Mindstorms.

The oldest does like to do tumblr, that's not the same though.