Print Story Medium
By technician (Mon Nov 03, 2014 at 04:48:41 PM EST) (all tags)
and not the psychic kind, despite the shenanigans of the last party I attended.

I've been writing at Medium for a little while. Started doing it for the platform; I'd converted my domain to a tumblr account, and was using that, but meh. I'm not a teenager or much of a social justice warrior.

Medium came along with a decent set of tools for writing and publishing stuff, and I'm always looking for places to put selected things, stuff that doesn't get quite so diary-personal as HuSi, a location that doesn't have a history.

If you know my normal username, you know where to find me at Medium.

Anyhow, I was getting a few reads (less than hundreds, more than tens), so I asked to be added to one of the "curated" lists (specifically one called Human Parts). I got an email back with, hey, yeah, we've read your stuff, just submit what you want and we'll approve if it is worthwhile.

Submitted a thing I wrote about my friend's suicide that segued into a thing about owning your schedule: if you knew when you were going to die, how would you change your life?

Two things happened once it was accepted: 1) whoever reviewed it edited it, adding punctuation (quotation marks, generally) in ways that fucked with the flow (in my mind, anyway) but made it grammatically proper and 2) I now have some new people reading my stuff, which is exciting but terrifying.

I think I'd become used to having the same ten or fifteen people see the stuff I'd written, so I'd become pretty OK with exposing some things in the writing, and also had become complacent about how I say what I say. The latter is more troubling, actually. I've been progressively writing in a way that allows me to be lazy with my assumptions, thinking "oh, these folks know how I do these things" or "They'll get the reference there to some obscure thing from five years ago," that sort of thing.

Now when I'm writing it feels like I'm spending so much time on setting up the story that there's no room left for the story. I may have seven minutes, tops, for someone to clear the entire story else they lose interest, and I can't use my normal shorthand or my crazy voice. I mean, I can...of course I can...but I'm trying to actually develop new readers and not come off all "if you don't understand this, you just don't get it, man."

Accessible, but still my voice.

If nothing else, it is interesting. It doesn't get me anything material, and my ego barely relies on me anymore (it's been in a mild coma for about a year), but I do have an interest in both telling stories and reading them, and especially an interest in the feedback loop of telling a story, reading a response, etc.

Which is why HuSi, though I've worn down my stories here to a nub. Not much more to say that you haven't heard.

Forcing myself to write again, every day, and doing it in ways that aren't within my comfort zone (not, ya know, emotional comfort zone. My technical / skill comfort zone) is tough. There's still a very loud voice in my head telling me I have no idea what I'm doing, and I'm learning that the voice is correct, which is why I'm bothering.

< Two up | It didn’t matter where you were,if you were in a room full of books you were at least halfway home >
Medium | 10 comments (10 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
WTF? by ammoniacal (4.00 / 1) #1 Tue Nov 04, 2014 at 01:37:51 AM EST

"with the author always in charge of what gets seen publicly."

Point out their inability to read their own dog food and have them revert the edits.

I can change it back, by technician (4.00 / 1) #4 Tue Nov 04, 2014 at 08:05:59 AM EST
But I'm OK with the changes, if it means having a conduit. Next submission, we'll see what happens.

No mention of mandatory peer review in the TOS. by ammoniacal (4.00 / 1) #5 Tue Nov 04, 2014 at 03:37:48 PM EST
Don't let 'em do that to your stuff.

I have never met or read an author by notafurry (4.00 / 2) #8 Thu Nov 06, 2014 at 12:54:37 PM EST
Who couldn't benefit from an editor.

Plus, the implication of joining a curated list is that the people running the list will, you know, curate. Including edits.

Curated content is a subset of content there. by ammoniacal (4.00 / 1) #9 Fri Nov 07, 2014 at 05:39:21 PM EST
It's not mandatory.

So, by technician (4.00 / 1) #10 Sun Nov 09, 2014 at 05:04:56 PM EST
a writer can choose to be in a curated group. Part of that choice can include standards and editing.

New challenges... by Metatone (4.00 / 2) #2 Tue Nov 04, 2014 at 04:58:41 AM EST
are important for storytellers I think.

Otherwise they lapse into some kind of caricature.

Of course, it's easy for me to say, since I'm more of a reader/commenter than a writer.

I wrote a non-fiction book about my work area. It sells a few copies now and then. But no disclosure was needed...

You wrote a book? by Scrymarch (4.00 / 2) #3 Tue Nov 04, 2014 at 06:05:17 AM EST
Awesome.

I only have a vague memory of what you do, and some consider it dry iirc, but I don't care, you wrote a book and that is awesome.

Iambic Web Certified

You should tell stories... by atreides (4.00 / 1) #6 Wed Nov 05, 2014 at 12:38:33 AM EST
Testify

Jus' sayin'...

He sails from world to world in a flying tomb, serving gods who eat hope.

I have a certain amount of performance anxiety, by technician (2.00 / 0) #7 Wed Nov 05, 2014 at 11:19:18 AM EST
and a degenerative nerve condition that causes me to shake. When I'm nervous at all, that shaking amplifies to the point of ridiculous.

Someday, though, I may do that.

Medium | 10 comments (10 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback