Print Story frivolous diary entry
Games
By clover kicker (Wed Nov 12, 2014 at 08:19:35 PM EST) (all tags)
Good Old Games (gog.com) is giving away Mount and Blade for the next few hours.

I have spent many many hours on M&B, right up there with Civ, MoO, MoM, XCom.

I've never seen a better battlefield game, and the mounted combat is awesome.

Why are you still here, you should be downloading the game or making a post about your favorite M&B campaign!

After extensive play I've settled on the Khergit nomadic horsemen as my favorites. They're middling offensively, kinda bad defensively, but no-one can match their mobility. A Khergit army only fights when they decide to fight, they're uncatchable. A Khergit army can outmanoeuvre  patrols and feast on the soft underbelly of any foe.

I play the first quarter of the game as a pure raider, striking the weak and evading the strong.

Once you've levelled up your fighting skills and earned enough wealth and prestige you can start conquering towns and villages. When the inevitable reprisals begin you can divide and conquer, or just strike behind their lines to keep them chasing you and away from your lands which are not defended as well as they might be.

The last quarter of the game is glorious, you have so much money and such a huge army that it is practical to cherry-pick recruits from the other factions. Now your garrisons are stuffed with expert bowmen, crossbowmen, and Viking shock infantry. Heavy armoured knights ride with your nomads, slowing you down a little but woe unto anyone who does force a battle.

Anyways it's damn fun and if you have any spare time at all you should download it RFN.

< In Memoriam. | Never Look a Gift Horse In The Mouth >
frivolous diary entry | 6 comments (6 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Shock infantry? by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #1 Thu Nov 13, 2014 at 01:08:51 AM EST
C'mon, man! At best, we're opportunistic scavengers. Hel, we just want to set up shop in one of your busier commercial districts.

I suppose the chain mail and axes by clover kicker (2.00 / 0) #2 Thu Nov 13, 2014 at 06:17:21 AM EST
are just quaint traditional clothing, eh?

Requisite for Black Friday crowds. by ammoniacal (4.00 / 1) #5 Fri Nov 14, 2014 at 12:29:45 AM EST

No no. by ana (4.00 / 2) #6 Fri Nov 14, 2014 at 07:21:05 AM EST
 That would be "chain mall and excess" you're thinking of.

I get the GoG emails by sasquatchan (2.00 / 0) #3 Thu Nov 13, 2014 at 11:13:37 AM EST
but RTS games, well, just don't do it for me ..

you can play it like an RTS by clover kicker (2.00 / 0) #4 Thu Nov 13, 2014 at 03:40:00 PM EST
But the controls aren't really good enough, you should be charging into the action and doing a large part of the slaying yourself.

I'm OK with sword/shield but give me a lance, horsebow and a fast horse and I will make a mess.

Not to say that strategy isn't important, those first few moments of maneuver can be critical, getting bowmen on top of a hill and positioning  infantry to protect them before the enemy charge arrives can be decisive.

frivolous diary entry | 6 comments (6 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback