Print Story Remember the 29 men
Death
By Gedvondur (Mon Nov 10, 2014 at 03:19:41 PM EST) (all tags)
Of the Edmund Fitzgerald

In honor of the 29 men who lost their lives today in 1975.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vST6hVRj2A

The Lakes are dangerous at this time of year.  I know it's hard to comprehend that lakes can be dangerous, but the term "lake" is a misnomer when it comes to the Great Lakes.  They are freshwater inland seas and Superior is one of the most dangerous.

< From Friday to Sunday | In Memoriam. >
Remember the 29 men | 6 comments (6 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
and how often do you get to say Gitchee Gummi by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #1 Mon Nov 10, 2014 at 03:30:57 PM EST
without people looking at you funny.

I have a dim memory... by ana (4.00 / 1) #2 Mon Nov 10, 2014 at 03:35:21 PM EST
There was some kind of a remembrance of the event on Wisconsin Public Radio once, or maybe it was a stage play, that included tape of weather reports from that night, as the storm moved across Wisconsin bound for Superior.

I learned as a young lad by Phil the Canuck (4.00 / 1) #3 Mon Nov 10, 2014 at 03:36:38 PM EST
Gitchee Gummi never gives up her dead.  When my Adventure People boat capsized on the great lake, I was never able to find the poor things.

I mark the day as well by clock (4.00 / 2) #4 Mon Nov 10, 2014 at 08:49:44 PM EST
I play the song. If I can find it, I drink the beer (Great Lakes Brewing Company RULES). Tonight while I was watching the dog I got to thinking about December in Duluth. There was a coffee shop near the lake called Amazing Grace.

Maybe I'll write a diary.

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

It's the only song by riceowlguy (4.00 / 1) #5 Tue Nov 11, 2014 at 02:20:20 PM EST
I ever learned how to play on the guitar (although I needed a capo to put it in the right key).

Isn't it in like a weird time or key? by Gedvondur (2.00 / 0) #6 Wed Nov 12, 2014 at 10:08:57 AM EST
I heard that Lightfoot's songs were in a strange time.  Not sure I have no music education.

Why would you need a mob boss to play the song?  :-)

Remember the 29 men | 6 comments (6 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback