Print Story Thursday
By yankeehack (Thu Oct 09, 2014 at 02:46:32 PM EST) (all tags)
Ebola. Catholic Mass. And I bought a car.

Listen, I know that Ebola shouldn't be all that communicable in it's present form (assuming the virus does not mutate), but I worry greatly about our first responder & public health system based on what happened in Dallas with the guy from Liberia.

If more Ebola victims turn up, we can't all quarantine ambulances and deputies and places.

I guess it was good to see a place not expecting Ebola to have to get its shit together. Even if they sent out people to wash away vomit without biohazard clothing and a pressure washer.

...

Last weekend LO and I went to my cousin's kid's baptism. We went mainly to support her since my uncle passed a few months ago. LO and I got to the church early as I misread the invite and I overly worried about the Eagles traffic (I'll blame divine intervention, for if I ever felt my grandmother was watching over us, it was last Sunday) so we were there for the whole Mass. LO hasn't been to Mass in a long while so in a way it was a good thing for her to experience it again with family around.

The Church is in a bustling part of South Philly, and neither LO or I could figure out why the Mass was so sparsely attended. The priest being about my age, the church big enough, etc and the Mass was a "new" Mass with modern music. Well, we found out why when the priest started on his homily about the family. HOLY FUCKING SHIT, this guy was no Pope Francis. He went on a fire and brimstone harangue for a good 15 minutes about abortion, contraception, natural family planning, abortion, selfishness, how good it was to be poor and LOs favorite part, how the children of divorced parents will be doing drugs in the street.

Basically, fuck that guy. No wonder why his congregation is so dead looking. Any hope that I had about LO maybe going to Church were thrown out the window.

...

So for those of you following the car saga, we ended up going over budget for a 2009 Toyota RAV4 from a dealer my brother uses. The pricing was just about the same if we went for an older model (we were looking at 2005/2006s initally) with an extended warranty. It was about 1k under Kelly Blue Book retail. This one has a 1yr dealer warranty. The car was well used (traded in 5 years to the month it was bought), and it had been maintained solely at the dealer we bought it from with all maintenance records. I checked the fluids and such. Oil looked good, etc. I even checked the VIN on safercar.gov and no open recalls on the car. (Previous cars we looked at did have open recalls.)

The only thing about that we've found so far is that I was behind LO driving home and I noticed the muffler looked like it was loose and maybe the pipe to the muffler looks rusted. So that and I think I will take the car out this weekend to make sure I don't hear any other noises.

...

Forgot to mention that my other uncle, one who was uncomfortable about my divorce initially, told me this past weekend I was doing a good job with LO and wondered if I had met any nice men yet. Heh.

< Announcement: Sampling Fun Challenge the First | The people'a army >
Thursday | 12 comments (12 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Did it come with a gun rack? by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #1 Thu Oct 09, 2014 at 03:27:49 PM EST
I thought every truck/SUV in PA had to have a gun rack.

I went to Mass yesterday, for the first time since my mother_in_law's funeral a year ago. This funeral Mass was less bitter, but the lunch wasn't as nice.

Isn't there an app for rating priests? by ammoniacal (4.00 / 4) #2 Thu Oct 09, 2014 at 06:42:49 PM EST
This seems like an unfilled gap. Is Grindr open source?

Preachr? by Scrymarch (4.00 / 3) #4 Thu Oct 09, 2014 at 08:54:02 PM EST

Iambic Web Certified

fathr, for catholics. by the mariner (4.00 / 4) #11 Fri Oct 10, 2014 at 06:03:41 PM EST

I was just thinking earlier today by Captain Tenille (2.00 / 0) #3 Thu Oct 09, 2014 at 07:52:59 PM EST
About how proud I was of my 10 year old daughter for hating to go to church. My wife wants the kids to go, so they all attend a UU church here, and I present a united front with her in that they usually have to go. Still, it warms my blackened heart that she doesn't particularly seem to enjoy it, and I get an hour and a half to myself most Sundays, so it's a win all around.

She's already experienced the harassment from Christian kids at school about not being a Christian, so she doesn't have a particularly high opinion of that. I do worry some that she might experiment with snake handling or something in high school, but if she does hopefully she'll grow out of it.

---------

/* You are not expected to understand this. */

harassment from Christian kids at school by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #5 Fri Oct 10, 2014 at 06:35:03 AM EST
Maybe it's because I went to a very diverse (for Virginia in the early 80's) school, but I never ran into that.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

I live in western WA by Captain Tenille (2.00 / 0) #9 Fri Oct 10, 2014 at 11:51:07 AM EST
Our rates of unbelief are in line with most of Europe, so I dunno. It's probably just the kids in question or something. As I said below, she handles it pretty well, and it seems to have been more of an issue a few years ago.

---------

/* You are not expected to understand this. */

Just point out by anonimouse (2.00 / 0) #6 Fri Oct 10, 2014 at 08:13:20 AM EST
  • if they choose to believe in someone who simultaneously is omnipresent, God, Jesus and the Holy spirit then thats up to them
  • Harassment isn't Christian behaviour and they're all going to Hell if it exists

Girls come and go but a mortgage is for 25 years -- JtL
At one point I told her by Captain Tenille (4.00 / 3) #7 Fri Oct 10, 2014 at 11:48:28 AM EST
to tell those kids that she only worshipped her Dark Lord and Master, Satan. I then had to frantically talk her out of doing it, because she was actually going to do it.

---------

/* You are not expected to understand this. */

She handles it pretty well, though. by Captain Tenille (2.00 / 0) #8 Fri Oct 10, 2014 at 11:49:39 AM EST
I think it was more in early elementary, and in any case she seems to handle the whole religion issue pretty well on her own.

---------

/* You are not expected to understand this. */

If you want her to go to church, pick a good one by mmangino (2.00 / 0) #10 Fri Oct 10, 2014 at 04:48:30 PM EST
Overbrook Presbyterian is awesome. They are kind and welcoming. I'm an atheist, and they were wonderfully supportive of me. They judged me on my actions alone. It was a wonderful experience going there for three years. It's one of the things we miss most about Philly.

interesting, i've been to catholic mass by the mariner (2.00 / 0) #12 Fri Oct 10, 2014 at 06:06:17 PM EST
literally dozens of times in my life and i don't remember hearing about abortion or divorce or anything else, ever.

on the other hand, i can't remember anything i've ever heard said by a priest in a catholic mass, other than standard invocations. which is weird, because my memory of my childhood is otherwise remarkably detailed.

Thursday | 12 comments (12 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback