Print Story fermented beverage review: sierra nevada extra IPA, ruthless rye IPA
By the mariner (Sun Jan 26, 2014 at 01:22:43 PM EST) (all tags)
i'm sure many have already had both -- they're not hard to find. i'm just recently getting a taste for IPAs and IPA variants (after a two to three year belgian kick), so i thought i'd check out some selections i'd previously overlooked.

(also, IPA/DIPA/*IPA poll.)

sierra nevada extra IPA -- not a double IPA. ordinary alcohol levels make it reasonably sessionable (if you like hops). pours with a lot of head, about three fingers on a not very aggressive pour. head lingers, nice lacing. even the foam is thick with oils from the hops, a bracing mix of herbal, pine resin, and grapefruit flavors. quite complex for the style. the beer itself is a crystal clear reddish hue. very clean malt profile, probably just straight pale ale malt. delicious. A+++ would drink again.

sierra nevada rye IPA -- this is a favorite style of mine and this beer is a nice instance of it. nice head formation and lacing, typical of beers brewed with rye. the aroma is a nice balance of cascadian citrus hops and rye spiciness -- not bready. not that hoppy to my taste, almost into the pale ale range. in a typical IPA, there is a two-way tension between the sweetness of the base malt and the bitterness (and other flavors) of hops, but here the sweetness is fairly muted. a fine brew all in all. has the added advantage of not being too hoppy for the wife, who is a fan of some of the hoppier pale ales, but not so much the hoppier IPAs and double IPAs.

< as much as i like to pretend the GOP isn't racist | I'm your dream, mind astray >
fermented beverage review: sierra nevada extra IPA, ruthless rye IPA | 16 comments (16 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
WIPO: I have a mangina and don't like hops at all. by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #1 Mon Jan 27, 2014 at 12:37:02 AM EST
PORTERS 4EVA

Not stouts? Heretic!!! by marvin (2.00 / 0) #3 Mon Jan 27, 2014 at 12:06:56 PM EST
I never saw the point of double and triple hops IPAs. Hops for the sake of hops, crushing and obliterating all other flavours? Why?

I have no idea why I tried this IPA, but I ended up liking it. Being a dark beer probably helped make it enjoyable.

double IPAs are still supposed to be balanced. by the mariner (4.00 / 1) #7 Mon Jan 27, 2014 at 04:02:01 PM EST
the extra hoppage is (ideally) balanced by more malt, so that you have a bigger, more complex beer. this is why they cost more: about twice as much grain is used in production and the alcohol content is about twice as high. they're almost a stripped down golden american barleywine.

a good example of the style is founder's double trouble. it's quite hoppy, but it's not overpoweringly so. there's a complex interplay of citrus hops and malt flavors, with the alcohol well concealed. a bad example of the style is weyerbacher's simcoe double IPA, which is way too malty and boozy -- more like a bad belgian double than a double IPA.

I've might not have had good IPAs in the past by marvin (2.00 / 0) #9 Mon Jan 27, 2014 at 04:51:49 PM EST
Someday I'll have to seek out some IPAs with good ratings. There are enough Belgians and other dark beers in the world to keep me busy for a while though.

I don't think I can find most of the brands you mentioned up in Canuckistan, but there must be similar brews available.

"Smooth" & "complex hops" by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #10 Mon Jan 27, 2014 at 09:32:23 PM EST
don't belong in the same sentence.

I'm not a hop-head by marvin (4.00 / 1) #11 Mon Jan 27, 2014 at 10:59:47 PM EST
My mangina and I are happiest with ales.

I only keep 10-15 different varieties at a time in the beer cellar, as I only drink a few bottles a week, there isn't much point in aging most beers, and the beer has to share space with wine, apples, and onions, etc. Shall I provide a full inventory for your review?

I'm not an IPA guy, so I was surprised to enjoy the Wildfire IPA. I picked it up at the brewery when I was presenting at a conference in Penticton. The ratings on Beer Advocate and RateBeer are fairly positive, and if I see it again, I'll buy more.

Hopehead by Herring (2.00 / 0) #16 Tue Jan 28, 2014 at 04:33:52 PM EST
Reminded me. Dark Star Hophead is a lovely, light summer beer.

christ, we're all old now - StackyMcRacky
WIPO: I'm not a huge fan of IPAs by lm (2.00 / 0) #2 Mon Jan 27, 2014 at 08:30:55 AM EST
I've yet to find an IPA that I would pick out by choice. If someone else is buying the beer and they pick out an IPA, I'll drink it and like it okay. But if I'm buying, there are so many things that I like better.

Cicero, The Republic
I do like Torpedo quite a bit by riceowlguy (2.00 / 0) #4 Mon Jan 27, 2014 at 01:00:59 PM EST
If black IPAs count, Grand Teton Brewing Trout Hop is a real fave but I was only able to get that because my GF brought some home with her from summer grad school in Montana.  Otherwise, Deschutes Hop in the Dark is good, as well as Stone Sublimely Self-Righteous.

Pliny the Elder kind of defined the DIPA style, but I don't live in a state where Russian River Brewing distributes, so again I had to rely of the kindness of traveling strangers to get to try that one.

Locally, Austin Beerworks Fire Eagle might be my favorite IPA, but they don't even distribute to Houston yet so I can't always get it, which might be part of the charm.

I should try and set up a blind tasting sometime between all of the locally available IPAs and see if I really like what I like because I like it, or if there are other influences.

you mean cascadian dark ales? by the mariner (2.00 / 0) #5 Mon Jan 27, 2014 at 02:06:26 PM EST
yes, those count.

i've had mixed results with DIPAs. a lot of them are just too sweet and boozy, you know? it doesn't have to be dry exactly, but has to be balanced at least, imo.

Heh by riceowlguy (2.00 / 0) #6 Mon Jan 27, 2014 at 03:51:30 PM EST
I love the PNW and the Cascades in particular but I think the Stone guy has this one right: Black IPA is a much more descriptive name, and it's not like they aren't made outside of the area.

sure, but modern IPAs aren't exported to india by the mariner (2.00 / 0) #8 Mon Jan 27, 2014 at 04:12:27 PM EST
either. the style was invented and mostly popularized in cascadia. credit where credit is due. besides, "black IPA" doesn't even make sense.

I am a big fan of hefeweizens... by theboz (2.00 / 0) #12 Tue Jan 28, 2014 at 11:56:02 AM EST
...but I'm mostly giving up beer to just drink the harder stuff like whiskey and tequila.  I've never been a big fan of IPAs though.  I don't like bitter beers.
- - - - -
i used to be the same way. by the mariner (2.00 / 0) #13 Tue Jan 28, 2014 at 12:07:46 PM EST
hefeweizens mostly, then belgian doubles and tripels, then saisons, now IPAs (although i've always liked imperial stouts, too, which kind of breaks that progression).

fancy scotch etc. is a few years off. i don't stay in one place long enough to want to keep expensive things around for a significant amount of time.

Oddly, I do like stouts too by theboz (2.00 / 0) #14 Tue Jan 28, 2014 at 01:38:48 PM EST
It depends on many circumstances, but a good stout can be fine for me, like it's a different form of being bitter.  I drink various whiskeys, scotches, etc. but the alcohol I put good money on is tequila.  Right now I have a few bottles of some REALLY good stuff that is sold at a little over $50 (it's called Casa Noble) that rivals my normal tequilas that cost double or triple the price (although Don Julio 1942 is still one of my favorites.)
- - - - -
yeah, stouts are a different kind of bitter. by the mariner (2.00 / 0) #15 Tue Jan 28, 2014 at 02:14:02 PM EST
roast malt/roast barley bitterness vs. hops bitterness. (although imperial stouts are big on both kinds of bitterness...)