Print Story Forgot about LiveJournal
Travel
By riceowlguy (Thu Jan 23, 2014 at 08:08:45 AM EST) (all tags)
I got an email from LiveJournal saying they were purging inactive accounts...

I must have gotten my LJ account years ago just to comment on other friends' blogs because I have zero entries.  Anyway, they said they were going to purge my account in 15 days if I didn't log in or post something.  They should have had a "purge now" button to click.

Speaking of that sort of thing, I deactivated my Twitter account a couple weeks ago.  Almost all of my posts came from the Untappd beer rating/tracking app so it made me look like a raging alcoholic, and none of my friends whom I would actually care to read about ever tweeted.  So that's gone.

More and more, I feel that I would be much better off if I quit Facebook too, but that seems like the modern-day equivalent of running away to live in a cabin in the woods.  People have begun to talk more and more about something that I suspected a long time ago, which is that most of your friends never see the things you post, unless you get lucky and get a ton of likes and comments, or you pay to promote them.  One of the things that I really loved about Facebook in the early days was that I would post my photos and I would get a lot more interest and feedback than if I just put them on some website, or on Flickr.  These days I post an album and...crickets.  Because nobody is tagged in them, because I'm taking pictures of birds.  Anyway, I am sure that I would waste less time and get less worked up over stupid arguments if I quit it entirely, but would honestly worry about missing important information about events and stuff.

I was planning on driving up to Austin this afternoon for a weekend, initially because Karbach, the Houston-based brewery that I've been a big fan of since they got started a couple years ago, is finally starting to distribute in Austin and they were having a launch event at a place I like and featuring one of the best beers ever made (if you're into imperial porters aged in whiskey barrels).  However, the weather is looking to terrible by Texas standards (i.e. just below freezing with a mix of light snow and freezing rain) and while there are worse cars that one could drive in those conditions than mine, it's really not set up for it (2WD on nearly worn out summer performance tires...do not want).  So I'll probably be calling my folks in a bit to cancel.  Not sure what I'll end up doing here instead - the weather will be terrible for cycling, marginal for birding.  A good weekend for housework, I guess.

< Sally is a gal that I spliced nearly | Finally a politician who talks sense on guns. >
Forgot about LiveJournal | 10 comments (10 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Facebook by kwsNI (2.00 / 0) #1 Thu Jan 23, 2014 at 08:29:11 AM EST
Same thing's been pissing me off lately.  When you tagged me in that post, I hit your page and saw there was a bunch of stuff I hadn't seen on my news feed.  Been noticing a lot that I haven't heard from certain people and when yet there's a lot when I look them up.

Lists by riceowlguy (2.00 / 0) #2 Thu Jan 23, 2014 at 08:48:33 AM EST
It's possible with some effort to tune things with your lists, like Close Friends and Family, to ensure you see everything certain people post.  Not that I'm suggesting you put me in your Close Friends list, or that you should want to see everything I post.  But you can do a lot of tuning.  It's possible that an interim solution for me would be something like configuring my news feed to only show me posts from my close friends and (maybe) family.

Beyond the payola aspect of the way Facebook is hiding most people's content from most of their friends, it causes some of the issues that people have.  If you're a single late-twenty-something and it seems like everybody you know is getting engaged, getting married or having kids, it may be because those posts are the ones that get the most likes and comments.  Or if it seems like people are doing nothing but shouting at each other over politics, it because those posts get the most likes and comments.

Yeah by kwsNI (2.00 / 0) #4 Thu Jan 23, 2014 at 02:58:27 PM EST
Just seems to defeat the point if you have to make everyone close friends to see it.  And it seems that doesn't even work all the time.  One close friend's posts rarely show up and we interact frequently and she's on the proper list.

engaged, etc by gzt (2.00 / 0) #6 Thu Jan 23, 2014 at 05:04:00 PM EST
facebook's algorithms generally seek out and find "important life events" to make them more visible (esp. if they update their "Facebook status" of something). in fact, there's a setting you can put on friends that lets you only see things that are "important" for some arbitrary facebook definition of important. but then those generally get liked a lot as well, which pops them up.

You are the kind of twitter user I unfollow. by dark nowhere (2.00 / 0) #3 Thu Jan 23, 2014 at 10:37:07 AM EST
That is: I'll give just about anyone in a common social circle a chance, but automated tweets are really just noise.

Chill out, snowflake.

Facebook by StackyMcRacky (2.00 / 0) #5 Thu Jan 23, 2014 at 03:53:48 PM EST
i'm only there because my mom group moved there.  I've had to turn off a few people's comments from my feed, because they are f'n nuts and i don't care about what they have to say.

basically i go on FB to check mom group events and to see what Whole Foods One Day Deal is for the week.

I'm only there by Herring (4.00 / 1) #9 Thu Jan 23, 2014 at 06:58:21 PM EST
so I can periodically defriend my sister when she gets obnoxious. Oh and predict wiredog's reaction to littlestar's latest derby pics.

christ, we're all old now - StackyMcRacky
i tend to put people in buckets of lists by gzt (2.00 / 0) #7 Thu Jan 23, 2014 at 05:23:54 PM EST
and then if you look at a specific list, FB is more likely to show you more people from that list.

but, yeah, it sucks a bit. also, facebook for some reason decided that some people i don't really want to see that much about are important to me so they show me almost everything they put up. i mean, i liked a few of the guy's posts, now all of them are popping up and he posts like 25 different clickbait things a day. maybe he just "likes" them and they pop up in my feed now! it's ridiculous. but i don't want to get rid of his posts as a whole, but all 25 per day, that's absurd. and fiddling with the settings would probably ditch the guy.

Billy's on Burnet by technician (4.00 / 1) #8 Thu Jan 23, 2014 at 05:48:37 PM EST
now has two Karbach brews. Hellfighter, and Rodeo Clown.

I plan on trying both on Monday, assuming there's any left.

Rodeo Clown is great by riceowlguy (4.00 / 1) #10 Thu Jan 23, 2014 at 10:44:31 PM EST
but IIRC you don't like the hops so much.  It is a DIPA, after all.  I've got three cans in my fridge at the moment.

Regular Hellfighter is great.  BBA Hellfighter is on another freakin' planet as far as I'm concerned.  I've got three bombers of it, one each of the past three releases, in my wine fridge.  Someday I'll have people over for a vertical tasting.

Forgot about LiveJournal | 10 comments (10 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback