Print Story Half Century
Cycling
By wiredog (Mon Sep 09, 2013 at 01:45:24 PM EST) (all tags)
Did it on Saturday. Only took 4 hours. Previous longest ride was 38 miles, and a I broke a wheel on that one.

Not being skilled at wheel rebuilding I left it at the shop for a week where they put on a new (and hopefully stronger, or at least under warranty, wheel). Had them adjust all the cables and lube everything while it was there. Took a week because everyone was dropping their bikes off for end-of-summer work.

Saturday was a nice September day, temperatures around 80° F, low humidity, mild breezes, so I went for a ride on the W&OD.

Started at Herndon Station (20 mile marker), planning to go 40 miles. At the 40 mile marker I thought "It's only another 5 miles to Purcellville. Why not?" Finished both water bottles by Purcellville, so I refilled them and headed back. By Ashburn I was really feeling it, and was almost out of water. Got back to the car and then spent half an hour driving home. So I rode 50 miles, then promptly sat down for half an hour. It hurt to breathe, much less walk, so the first thing I did after unloading the car was 800mg of motrin washed down with lots of water. Followed by more water. I had been planning to cook myself some dinner but, well, was way to beat for that. So I went to the Indian place around the corner, sister to the one in Bethesda where we went for the HusiMeet there.

Had the lamb vindaloo which was very spicy, the way I like it, and not toned down like in Bethesda, with a side of yogurt sauce (raita, I think). Figured that should help rebalance the electrolytes. The vindaloo also encouraged drinking more water. Followed by ice cream.

Weight now dropping below 205 jeebus loving pounds, but not quite down to 200 yet. Will still need to buy all new wetsuits for surfing next summer. If I surf.

Everybody's favorite subject, at least here in DC:
This, in a nutshell, is the White House’s problem: The American public believes the intelligence. They just don’t care. They don’t believe Syria poses a threat to the United States. They don’t believe the U.S.’s national interests are served by getting involved in Syria.

No, not the NSA, the Nigerian Email Scammers:
Their strategies include collaboration with security agents and bank officials, local and international networking, and the use of voodoo
< Taking a sick day to actually be sick | Smash it down to digits, gut it out and break it down >
Half Century | 14 comments (14 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
well, it's the whole mid east by sasquatchan (4.00 / 1) #1 Mon Sep 09, 2013 at 01:59:45 PM EST
except maybe Israel, who aren't exactly an ally, but are not a foe.. Broadly speaking, area is full of people that hate us. Why should we care if they're killing one another .. I can see why the bulk of the US doesn't care. As long as the oil flows, and US soldiers don't return in body bags..

Re: Israel by gmd (2.00 / 0) #3 Mon Sep 09, 2013 at 09:09:07 PM EST
What exactly are they, if not an ally or foe?

enquiring minds would like to know.

gmd - HuSi's second most dimwitted overprivileged user.
Between the attack on the USS Liberty by ammoniacal (4.00 / 1) #7 Tue Sep 10, 2013 at 10:14:52 AM EST
and the hard-sell of Dead Sea bath salts at my shopping mall, I'm against 'em.

There was that incident by gmd (2.00 / 0) #10 Tue Sep 10, 2013 at 01:24:03 PM EST
At the King David hotel too.

gmd - HuSi's second most dimwitted overprivileged user.
their own autonomous nation by sasquatchan (2.00 / 0) #9 Tue Sep 10, 2013 at 01:23:29 PM EST
that does as sees fit for their own ends.

autonomy requires by gmd (2.00 / 0) #11 Tue Sep 10, 2013 at 01:25:54 PM EST
you can afford to pay for your own defence.

There is some sort of symbiotic relationship between the USA and the Zionist entity, kind of like 'frenemies'.

gmd - HuSi's second most dimwitted overprivileged user.
Just because you can doesn't mean you do by lm (2.00 / 0) #12 Tue Sep 10, 2013 at 08:06:44 PM EST
I mean, if I my friends want to chip in hard cash for my household budget even though I can afford my apartment, who am I to say 'no'?

Cicero, The Republic
Hmm call me a cynical bastard by gmd (2.00 / 0) #14 Mon Oct 07, 2013 at 08:41:38 PM EST
I'd like to believe in altruism  but I'd assume there was a quid pro quo.

gmd - HuSi's second most dimwitted overprivileged user.
80 degrees is fairly warm by Herring (2.00 / 0) #2 Mon Sep 09, 2013 at 06:25:20 PM EST
If I were going for it in that temperature I'd mix up my (750ml) bottles with 2xHigh5 Zero tablets, 30g maltodextrin and something for flavour. If it were below 75 then probably just one tablet. Mind you that's what I'm used to.

For a 50 mile TT I take one gel and a small bottle of drink (unless it's really hot). I think my best time is 2 hours 17 minutes something. That's on flattish smooth roads though.

If it helps you feel better, I have just looked in The Book and the 50 mile TT record is 1:35:27 (Dr Hutch, 2008)

christ, we're all old now - StackyMcRacky

I'm used to heat and humidity. by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #4 Tue Sep 10, 2013 at 06:40:30 AM EST
80 is comfortable, especially with dewpoints in the mid 60's.

I'm not going for speed as much as I am distance, and distance in a week at that. I'm aiming for 80-100 miles/week, weather permitting. Did 25 miles yesterday, but today through Thrusday it's going to be in the mid-90's with dewpoints in the 70's, which is too hot and humid for any outdoor exercise. Friday and Saturday I should be able to do 25 miles/day. If I were going for speed I'd need a lighter, faster bike.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Lighter, faster bike by toxicfur (4.00 / 1) #5 Tue Sep 10, 2013 at 07:07:37 AM EST
If I'm remembering correctly, you have a Trek very similar to my commuter bike. About the longest I want to go on that bike in one shot is 25 or 30 miles, and I'd still rather do that on my road bike. It's amazing how much difference it makes.

The only 50ish mile ride I've done is with Herring, and with the hills of the English countryside, I thought I was going to die. If I can get off my ass and train, though, I want to do the Pan-Mass Challenge next year (one of the one-day routes).

Yeah, it's a commuter bike by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #8 Tue Sep 10, 2013 at 11:48:02 AM EST
And I have a rack and bag on the back that I carry wallet, keys, phone, and the lock in. So that adds some weight.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Temperature makes a huge difference by riceowlguy (2.00 / 0) #13 Fri Sep 13, 2013 at 08:24:31 AM EST
I've been having a really hard time trying to get my distance back up after a summer of pretty much zero biking.  It's still blazing hot here in Houston, particularly if you go out between 4-7pm like I do.  I'm pretty much cooked after 30 miles, not even going that hard.

Half-century Ride by belldandi (4.00 / 1) #6 Tue Sep 10, 2013 at 07:26:37 AM EST
Coming up for me in 10days. May cut some miles off the route if I feel too pressed, but Im looking forward to it!

Half Century | 14 comments (14 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback