Print Story derpification of games
Games
By clover kicker (Wed Sep 04, 2013 at 09:32:02 AM EST) (all tags)
Instinctively I want to blame the dumbing down of modern video games on consoles.

But over the long (rainy) weekend the kids were playing a bunch of games, and I realized...

that Mario 64 on the DS is 10x bigger then last year's Skylanders, the levels are freeform, the gameplay is much more challenging. In short Mario 64 is fucking hard-core compared to today's console hits.

I guess the console kids of the late 90s were also nerds, so perhaps it's the mainstream adoption of  games that has led to the watering down of all genres and platforms.

The reason tablet games are so fucking shallow is that tablets were never a nerd platform, it was mass-market from day one and the mass market can't do anything more complicated then matching tiles or throwing birds or whatever.

< The precioussss has arrived | Husi is still dying... (Notes on my new account) >
derpification of games | 14 comments (14 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Challenging games are out there by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #1 Wed Sep 04, 2013 at 11:13:29 AM EST
There are certainly some console games out there that give you a challenge.  Demons Souls/Dark Souls.  XCom:Enemy Unknown.

But yeah, most games are too damn intent on holding your hand the whole way through.  The ones I hate the most are the ones that start lobbing obvious hints at you if you spend more than 15 seconds looking at the scenery.

I blame Call of Duty dudebro culture.  Those idiots can't deal with actual failure.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman

admittedly not a console gamer by clover kicker (2.00 / 0) #2 Wed Sep 04, 2013 at 11:52:56 AM EST
Haven't played Demon/Dark Souls, but XCom is way watered down from the original. Hard to believe that with all that modern CPU power they had to shrink the damn maps.

Consoles strike the right balance for me by gmd (2.00 / 0) #3 Wed Sep 04, 2013 at 12:27:14 PM EST
 Between the dumbed down nature of tablets/handhelds, and the upgrade your graphics card every 5 minutes world of PC gaming.

Games like battlefield 3, red dead redemption etc are pretty complex, hard to see what more you could want from a game...

gmd - HuSi's second most dimwitted overprivileged user.
the vid card thing isn't as true these days by clover kicker (2.00 / 0) #4 Wed Sep 04, 2013 at 03:22:01 PM EST
My vid card is several years old and I can still play anything I'm interested in.

sure you can play it... by gmd (2.00 / 0) #5 Wed Sep 04, 2013 at 04:28:56 PM EST
but not at 120fps with full vegetation... and I'd feel somehow 'cheated' if I wasn't playing a game the way the artists who created it wanted it to be seen.

The console 'allows' me to ignore hardware advances that otherwise would have me shelling out.

gmd - HuSi's second most dimwitted overprivileged user.
not as important for my style of games by clover kicker (4.00 / 1) #7 Wed Sep 04, 2013 at 08:54:13 PM EST
Civ 5/Xcom etc don't have much eyecandy, never mind the older strategy and RPG games.

I'm contemplating by MillMan (2.00 / 0) #6 Wed Sep 04, 2013 at 07:29:41 PM EST
Getting DraStic for my android devices (DS emulator). Going to have to check (cough) ROM availability first.

Mario64 wasn't *that* free. by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #8 Wed Sep 04, 2013 at 09:27:47 PM EST
And I'm a "collect all power-ups" kind of player.

itsa me, Mario! by clover kicker (4.00 / 1) #9 Thu Sep 05, 2013 at 07:21:45 AM EST
Yes in Mario you need to unlock the levels but once inside a map there's several ways to earn a star, and you can complete objectives in any order.

Mario isn't Elite or Mount & Blade, but Skylanders is absolutely on rails, and the maps are teeny.

The best of both worlds... by gmd (2.00 / 0) #10 Thu Sep 05, 2013 at 08:34:29 PM EST
 I understand if you play battlefield 4 on a console, you will be able to use your ipad to call in an air strike in commander mode...

gmd - HuSi's second most dimwitted overprivileged user.
wonder if the air strikes hurt friendlies by clover kicker (2.00 / 0) #11 Fri Sep 06, 2013 at 08:26:40 AM EST
The griefing potential seems enormous.

I wonder who has to endure the launch cut-scene, surely you wouldn't interrupt the FPS team members with it, but it would be almost as annoying for the commander dude.

I'm not sure how it works. by gmd (2.00 / 0) #12 Fri Sep 06, 2013 at 09:35:13 AM EST
 I don't think you would be forced to use it.

as for griefing, that's one of the funniest things about online gaming. Checkout "general minus" on YouTube...

gmd - HuSi's second most dimwitted overprivileged user.
Return on Investment (RoI) by yicky yacky (2.00 / 0) #13 Sun Sep 08, 2013 at 12:08:30 PM EST

The newer technology (including, but not limited to, the consoles themselves) require a much higher 'I' than previous generations (not solely down to the amount of work to get the fancy effects working -- also down to the fact that storage space is less of an issue, so you can't use system limits as an excuse for simplicity).

Once the 'I' hits a certain level, you have to hit the middle of the gaussian; catering to the nerds at 2-3 std-devs doesn't cut it financially.

Apart from freak games like Dark Souls (and it's unclear at this point whether they'll be allowed to make any more), the 'harder' stuff at the moment seems to be getting catered-for by the indie market (lower 'I'; partly by refusing to get into flay-the-hardware-type one-upmanship). Super Meat Boy, for example, is as testing as anything I've ever played.

----
Vacuity abhors a vacuum.
thank heavens for indies by clover kicker (2.00 / 0) #14 Sun Sep 08, 2013 at 03:47:26 PM EST
I'm hoping the Kickstarted old-school RPGs (Wasteland 2, Torment, Project Eternity) do well, at least I'll have one genre back.

derpification of games | 14 comments (14 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback