Print Story derpification of games
Games
By clover kicker (Wed Sep 04, 2013 at 09:32:02 AM EST) (all tags)
Instinctively I want to blame the dumbing down of modern video games on consoles.

But over the long (rainy) weekend the kids were playing a bunch of games, and I realized...

that Mario 64 on the DS is 10x bigger then last year's Skylanders, the levels are freeform, the gameplay is much more challenging. In short Mario 64 is fucking hard-core compared to today's console hits.

I guess the console kids of the late 90s were also nerds, so perhaps it's the mainstream adoption of  games that has led to the watering down of all genres and platforms.

The reason tablet games are so fucking shallow is that tablets were never a nerd platform, it was mass-market from day one and the mass market can't do anything more complicated then matching tiles or throwing birds or whatever.

< The precioussss has arrived | computer woes >
derpification of games | 10 comments (10 topical, 0 hidden)
Challenging games are out there by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #1 Wed Sep 04, 2013 at 11:13:29 AM EST
There are certainly some console games out there that give you a challenge.  Demons Souls/Dark Souls.  XCom:Enemy Unknown.

But yeah, most games are too damn intent on holding your hand the whole way through.  The ones I hate the most are the ones that start lobbing obvious hints at you if you spend more than 15 seconds looking at the scenery.

I blame Call of Duty dudebro culture.  Those idiots can't deal with actual failure.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman

admittedly not a console gamer by clover kicker (2.00 / 0) #2 Wed Sep 04, 2013 at 11:52:56 AM EST
Haven't played Demon/Dark Souls, but XCom is way watered down from the original. Hard to believe that with all that modern CPU power they had to shrink the damn maps.

the vid card thing isn't as true these days by clover kicker (2.00 / 0) #4 Wed Sep 04, 2013 at 03:22:01 PM EST
My vid card is several years old and I can still play anything I'm interested in.

not as important for my style of games by clover kicker (4.00 / 0) #7 Wed Sep 04, 2013 at 08:54:13 PM EST
Civ 5/Xcom etc don't have much eyecandy, never mind the older strategy and RPG games.

I'm contemplating by MillMan (2.00 / 0) #6 Wed Sep 04, 2013 at 07:29:41 PM EST
Getting DraStic for my android devices (DS emulator). Going to have to check (cough) ROM availability first.

Mario64 wasn't *that* free. by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #8 Wed Sep 04, 2013 at 09:27:47 PM EST
And I'm a "collect all power-ups" kind of player.

itsa me, Mario! by clover kicker (4.00 / 1) #9 Thu Sep 05, 2013 at 07:21:45 AM EST
Yes in Mario you need to unlock the levels but once inside a map there's several ways to earn a star, and you can complete objectives in any order.

Mario isn't Elite or Mount & Blade, but Skylanders is absolutely on rails, and the maps are teeny.

wonder if the air strikes hurt friendlies by clover kicker (2.00 / 0) #11 Fri Sep 06, 2013 at 08:26:40 AM EST
The griefing potential seems enormous.

I wonder who has to endure the launch cut-scene, surely you wouldn't interrupt the FPS team members with it, but it would be almost as annoying for the commander dude.

(Comment Deleted) by yicky yacky (2.00 / 0) #13 Sun Sep 08, 2013 at 12:08:30 PM EST

This comment has been deleted by yicky yacky

thank heavens for indies by clover kicker (2.00 / 0) #14 Sun Sep 08, 2013 at 03:47:26 PM EST
I'm hoping the Kickstarted old-school RPGs (Wasteland 2, Torment, Project Eternity) do well, at least I'll have one genre back.

derpification of games | 10 comments (10 topical, 0 hidden)