Print Story First post!
Family
By georgeha (Tue Sep 17, 2013 at 02:00:01 PM EST) First post (all tags)
From my new (to me) Windows 7 laptop.

Other firsts include Europe, and floating a loan to the multinational that hired me.

The old is familiar.

I really mean to write a long diary with lots of pictures, whinging about how awful this summer has been. It hasn't been the worst summer I've had, but maybe second worst.

Here's a preview, the about time death of Grandma ROM and tent camping in 90+ degree heat in NYC and Long Island.

Right now I have three big computers on my cube (not counting the two hanging off my belt), an XP desktop that houses our software problem database frontend that I use for casual browsing, my old XP laptop that I'm transferring files off of, and my new, to me, Win 7 laptop. I have been looking forward to a new laptop, though not looking forward to transferring data and logging into all those sites I go to.

The new laptop is managed by the new corp, too, so I'm not looking forward to dealing with licensing and new tool problems. Will they let me load Chrome? Who knows. Filezilla, Acrobat? Who knows.

First trip to Europe, and I found 12 hours a day in a noisy print room in Europe just as much fun as spending 12 hours a day in a noisy print room in America. I didn't see many famous things (no to Mannikin pis, yes to the Eiffel Tower and the Arc De Triomphe at 5 in the morning), and often ate at a truck stop. I did rack up about 50 hours of comp time I'll never get to use, and my passport is no longer virginal.

Oh yeah, first time I've had to float a $1600 dollar loan to a multinational.

The girls are back in the same school building, SOTA houses grades 7-12. The 12 year old loves it, her old school was getting small. The 17 year old is on her sixth year of senioritis, but can get all the hours she wants (up to 29) working as a lifeguard.

We're still broke, the lack of daylight might be affecting Mrs. Ha, and all my usual complaints are still complaints.

< To The Emperor! | Living at home is such a drag >
First post! | 6 comments (6 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Loans by anonimouse (2.00 / 0) #1 Tue Sep 17, 2013 at 03:36:20 PM EST
Don't forget to charge interest.

Girls come and go but a mortgage is for 25 years -- JtL
You don't get it by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #2 Tue Sep 17, 2013 at 04:30:22 PM EST
It's a privilege to be shunted off to another continent on short notice and have to pay your own way (except for plane fare). I expect I will eventually get reimbursed, but more than that is ridiculous.

It shouldn't be that big of a deal by riceowlguy (2.00 / 0) #4 Wed Sep 18, 2013 at 10:45:11 AM EST
If it's difficult for you to pay your own way up front and get reimbursed later for that amount, they need to be paying you more.

I could use more money by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #5 Wed Sep 18, 2013 at 12:32:04 PM EST
but keeping two old cars running and a family of four fed and clothed on 1.1 incomes is tough.

Second Worse Summer by jimgon (2.00 / 0) #3 Wed Sep 18, 2013 at 07:42:20 AM EST
I would rate this one third worst.  And it was the second year in a row I didn't bother putting out the outdoor furniture.

---------------
It is better than 2005 by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #6 Wed Sep 18, 2013 at 12:39:57 PM EST
where my auto-immune system crippled me to the point where I couldn't walk a block or kick a soccer ball, we were watching my increasingly demented mother_in_law every fourth week, and Mrs. Ha was not dealing with either one appropriately.

First post! | 6 comments (6 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback