Print Story Well, I fail it
By lm (Wed Sep 11, 2013 at 11:56:41 PM EST) (all tags)
Yesterday I discovered that my rear tire was flat. This is the first flat I've had since I bought a bike in early summer and started biking to work.

So tonight I patched the tube. Re-inflated it. It was flat again within twenty minutes.

My bike is a late sixties or early seventies Montgomery Ward catalog bike. So far as I have been able to determine, it was built by Huffy. The tires are probably original. The tubes, I think, have been replaced at least once (they're Schwinn branded) but are very old judging by their condition. The tires look decent from the outside. But once I removed the rear tire, I could see that some of it was rotten. This is unsurprising given the age of the bike.

I've been thinking about replacing the wheels with 27 inchers anyway. I think that even with the fenders, I'll have enough space for 27 inchers, especially if I move to more narrow tires.

So I ordered some new 27" rims, tubes, rim tape and so on. Once it gets here, we'll see if I fail again.

If the new wheels are installed, I will be taking the bike to the shop. I want to get slightly larger cranks. Even if I keep my current cranks, I'm reasonably certain that they need to be broken down and repacked. I think some of the bearings are shot. If they aren't, they desperately need to be repacked in grease.

< Well, that escalated quickly | None but ourselves can free our minds >
Well, I fail it | 11 comments (11 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
And so it begins.... by wiredog (4.00 / 1) #1 Thu Sep 12, 2013 at 07:17:02 AM EST

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Check inside the tire? by Vulch (4.00 / 1) #2 Thu Sep 12, 2013 at 07:42:51 AM EST
If the tubes are crumbling anyway it may not be the problem, but repeat punctures can be due to something stuck through the tire still. Last set I had was after a windy day where some of the twigs I'd ridden over were from hawthorn or similar, nothing visible on the outside where it had worn down but the tip of a spine was still there inside causing another puncture.

I checked inside the tire pretty thoroughly by lm (2.00 / 0) #8 Fri Sep 13, 2013 at 06:00:48 AM EST
And, like I mentioned, the hole was on the inside of the tube facing the rim rather than the tire.

It could be that I just did a bad job with the patch. It could also be that there was more than one hole.

But I've been meaning to get new wheels almost since I bought it.

Cicero, The Republic
Hmm by Herring (2.00 / 0) #10 Fri Sep 13, 2013 at 09:37:07 AM EST
There's not a bit of spoke protruding through a nipple is there? Is your rim in good condition? What about rim tape?

(/me whistles innocently)

christ, we're all old now - StackyMcRacky

I checked for that by lm (2.00 / 0) #11 Fri Sep 13, 2013 at 09:46:36 AM EST
Didn't see any. I did look for that but I could have missed it.

The rims seem in decent shape. They are mighty rusty. They need to be cleaned up something fierce.

Cicero, The Republic
Couple of observations by riceowlguy (2.00 / 0) #3 Thu Sep 12, 2013 at 08:44:28 AM EST
As already pointed out, it's super important to check, very thoroughly, the inside of the tire when changing a flat.  I had a series of maddening, super-slow leaks for months before I realized I had run over a staple and just a tiny little bit was poking through to the inside, causing a tiny pinhole leak which thankfully never left me stranded anywhere, but caused me to scratch my head a lot when I'd look at the bike the next day and the rear tire was flat again.

And I was going to say that you can probably find a nice brand new single speed at an LBS for about $400, which it sounds like you're already on your way to spending anyway.  Too bad you already got the new rims.

This by barooo (2.00 / 0) #4 Thu Sep 12, 2013 at 12:01:06 PM EST
Unless this bike has some sort of sentimental value, I wouldn't spend any money on it.  You should be able to get something new for $300-$400 that would be better, you should be able to get something used for $300 that would be way better.

Do you live somewhere that has anything like this (with or without the do-gooderism)? http://www.workingbikes.org/the-shop/

man, i need a beefy taco now.
-gzt
Sure by lm (2.00 / 0) #7 Fri Sep 13, 2013 at 05:58:02 AM EST
But with the cost of the bike and the new rims, tires, tubes, etc., I'm barely at $200.

And it's a lot more fun than a brand new bike.

Cicero, The Republic
I should have added by riceowlguy (4.00 / 2) #5 Thu Sep 12, 2013 at 01:43:55 PM EST
"Unless you want to tinker, in which case go nuts."

Sentimental value? by lm (4.00 / 1) #6 Fri Sep 13, 2013 at 05:56:58 AM EST

But no new bike will the flair of a late 60s/early 70s bike and that's a fact.

Cicero, The Republic
Exactly. by gmd (2.00 / 0) #9 Fri Sep 13, 2013 at 07:56:35 AM EST
 Even now I still like the idea of riding one of these

gmd - HuSi's second most dimwitted overprivileged user.
Well, I fail it | 11 comments (11 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback