Print Story Philaversiary!
By StackyMcRacky (Thu Aug 15, 2013 at 09:30:30 PM EST) (all tags)
Carving out some time to diarize.

Happy Philaversiary to us!  We've been here a year now.  My life, and the lives of my family, are so. much. better. since we moved.  I'm constantly amazed at how happy we are and how great life is.  It's a nice change of pace!

I started dropping off the anti-depressants in June.  SSRI withdrawl sucks.  All the yuck finally went away a few weeks ago, so HOORAY for being done.  They did what they were supposed to do, so that's good, but I'd rather not have to use them again.  Did I mention in my last real diary (a million years ago) that I went to some therapy sessions?  After session #2, the therapist said I didn't need to go any more, I had a good grasp of what I needed to do and where my problems were.  Fun!

The Dude turns 6!!!!!! next week.  WTF?  He starts kindergarten after Labor Day.  My baby boy is so big now!  He is absolutely thriving in our little borough.  He isn't the same boy who moved here a year ago.  I'm so proud of how far he's come!

The DK is quite the piece of work.  She's 2 going on 13.  She is an interesting mix of girly-girl and nerd girl.  She still drives me nuts almost every single day, but she's way more amusing than she used to be.  I'm sending her to the "school" The Dude went to last year (the 2 y.o. class, not the pre-K) 3 times a week.  She needs that level of activity!  We joined a play group back in January, so we'll still be hanging with the moms on Tuesdays.  Big times for a little girl!

clock has friends!  He goes to boxing class every week, and is having a great time with it.  He's also seriously upping his fitness level.  He got roped into co-coaching The Dude's soccer team (aka swarm-ball) in the fall.  He also found another job!  The pay isn't everything we had hoped, but it's still more (base salary).  The important thing is the stress level will be dropped about 100-fold.  He'll be doing the job of 1 person instead of 7.

I have friends, too!  I'm not isolated at home, never speaking to other adults than clock and my parents.  You can imagine the wonders this has done for my mental health and general outlook on life.  WOO!

We talked our landlord into splitting the property up (it's a duplex/twin), and we're going to buy the half we're living in.  We really, really like this space.  And the location.  And the price should be quite reasonable (haven't settled on one yet).  Buying without moving again!  WOOOOOOO!

That's the quick update.  I'm being nagged to go to bed, so I think I will.

< On the Internet I Blurted This: | not sure if BS: musical chords and topology >
Philaversiary! | 26 comments (26 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
He starts kindergarten after Labor Day by dev trash (2.00 / 0) #1 Thu Aug 15, 2013 at 09:40:08 PM EST
Ohhhhhh a district that's modern and smart.

Most in the central part of the state start last week of August and then get a day off for Labor Day.  Silly, I know.

I DON'T CARE ABOUT YOUR BALLS! ->clock

they do the same in TX by StackyMcRacky (2.00 / 0) #5 Fri Aug 16, 2013 at 08:14:45 AM EST
this seems way late to me. and that they're in school after Memorial Day.  crazy!

ahem by dev trash (2.00 / 0) #10 Fri Aug 16, 2013 at 07:23:37 PM EST
Well if you get a good couple of ice storms then out the window,  But legally they gotta finish by June 30.

I DON'T CARE ABOUT YOUR BALLS! ->clock
back in the day by StackyMcRacky (2.00 / 0) #12 Fri Aug 16, 2013 at 08:31:06 PM EST
Dallas had some serious (for Dallas) ice storms that shut the city down for a week, not the usual day or two.  Something else had happened earlier in the year that caused an unexpected school shutdown as well.  So, the problem was: graduation.  The schools in my town were so large, they rented the SMU colosseum so the students and up to 6 family members could attend.  They rented said facility 5 or so years in advance.  Anyway, enough days had been missed that there were going to have to be make-up days so the students would be in class the legally required amount of time, but because the graduation stuff had been planned 5 years in advance, the make-up days were going to be after graduation.  This was an additional problem because many seniors were headed off to summer school, others to various vacations, camps, etc. In the end, I think they had the court or some such entity forgive the 2 make-up days, and everything went as usual.

THE AEND.

yeah by dev trash (2.00 / 0) #15 Fri Aug 16, 2013 at 10:57:31 PM EST
everyone gets all up in arms if they lose a Presidents Day off but when June rolls around they're all excited to be out of school.

I DON'T CARE ABOUT YOUR BALLS! ->clock
Congratudelphiations! by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #2 Thu Aug 15, 2013 at 11:17:33 PM EST

wooooo by gzt (2.00 / 0) #3 Thu Aug 15, 2013 at 11:20:39 PM EST
these all sound like improvements.

except SSRI withdrawal, that sucks, but presumably it's an improvement once withdrawal is over.

wooooo mental health.

getting on sucked by StackyMcRacky (2.00 / 0) #6 Fri Aug 16, 2013 at 08:16:43 AM EST
but getting off sucked more.  1 oz of wine really helped with most of the symptoms.  and thanks to the daily wine + feeling too bad to exercise, i've put on quite a bit of weight.  GOOD TIMES!  but i'm off the drugs, m'kay?

Sweet. by ana (2.00 / 0) #4 Fri Aug 16, 2013 at 07:30:17 AM EST
I like your house. I'm glad you get to stay.

Congrats on the new job. Hooray for friends.

Well hot damn. by technician (4.00 / 1) #7 Fri Aug 16, 2013 at 11:19:14 AM EST
Y'all deserve every bit of good news this diary contains. That's just awesome.

Also, you're encouraging the idea that a change in geography is likely to change the person. Hrm.

I can't believe you've been gone a year. To tell you the truth, it seems like years. Time crawls in the superheated air here, as you know. I've aged ten years since y'all left.

the only person who has really changed by StackyMcRacky (4.00 / 1) #8 Fri Aug 16, 2013 at 12:22:48 PM EST
is The Dude.  But he is young and still learning how to be him.  Mostly, he has a confidence that he's never had before.  (of course, that was part of the reason we didn't send him to school last year).

me, I just got out from crushing depression and happened to land in a place with lots of other SAHMs who don't want to be isolated with kids all day so they form clubs to get out and socialize (kids socializing is just bonus).  And it just so happens about 50% of them are nerds of some kind (sci-fi, crafting, gaming, etc) so we have things in common.  And since they're not Southern women, they're upfront and not back-stabby.

I have recently learned an expression by infinitera (2.00 / 0) #9 Fri Aug 16, 2013 at 06:41:07 PM EST
That the back-stabby Southern women use. e.g.

"And since they're not Southern women (bless their hearts)..."

Sounds polite, until you learn it's like a secret condemnation.

...

Anyways. Happy Philaversiary! Finding a home is great. :) I've certainly learned my way around Boston (20+ years here), but I felt more at home/ease in Toronto, despite only living there for 6 months.

oh yeah by StackyMcRacky (4.00 / 1) #13 Fri Aug 16, 2013 at 08:34:35 PM EST
I am aware of that expression.  Not used so much by my generation (at least not in Texas, which isn't the South btw), but the sentiment is there.  Along with the knives.

I've always hated it, because you never really know where you stand until it's too late.  Up here, you know.

It's funny, my sister says racial relations up here are like that: people pretend to be "progressive" but they're actually totally racist.  She says it's a funny contrast to the South, where you know who is racist, because they don't pretend to be otherwise.

If the Stars and Bars flew over your capitol... by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #16 Sat Aug 17, 2013 at 12:42:00 AM EST
then you're in a Southern state. It's that simple, really.

no by StackyMcRacky (2.00 / 0) #17 Sat Aug 17, 2013 at 11:19:55 AM EST
there's The South, and there are southern states.  there is a difference.

You're right. by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #18 Sat Aug 17, 2013 at 11:37:53 AM EST
Texas fought for "the South", not against it, which made it a state of traitors to the United States of America.

I brought that up a few times. by clock (2.00 / 0) #19 Sun Aug 18, 2013 at 12:16:31 PM EST
It made the natives uncomfortable. Me?  Gave zero fucks. If you trot out the Sons of the Confederacy, you're asking for some disparaging comments.

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

Yep. by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #20 Sun Aug 18, 2013 at 10:42:04 PM EST
I think a lotta Texans need to own it, before they can move past it. "Oh, no! Our cotton-pickers toiled in the best conditions of the Confederacy." Unreal, man.

well by StackyMcRacky (4.00 / 1) #21 Mon Aug 19, 2013 at 07:27:44 AM EST
after you kill Mexicans in their sleep, what else ya gonna do?

not denying the Confederacy by StackyMcRacky (2.00 / 0) #22 Mon Aug 19, 2013 at 07:28:29 AM EST
just saying Texas is not a part of The South.  the culture is quite different.

Sorry, but... by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #23 Mon Aug 19, 2013 at 02:37:04 PM EST

It's officially part of "the South." Take it up with the Census Bureau, lady.

the Census Bureau.... by StackyMcRacky (2.00 / 0) #24 Mon Aug 19, 2013 at 09:38:26 PM EST
used to count a certain segment of the population as 3/5 of a person.

Backpacker Magazine counts Texas as the midwest.

Yes, the War of Northern Aggression fixed that. by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #25 Tue Aug 20, 2013 at 10:26:41 AM EST

Congratulations by jimgon (2.00 / 0) #11 Fri Aug 16, 2013 at 08:11:50 PM EST
All around on all points.

---------------
I'm glad to hear your all doing well! by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #14 Fri Aug 16, 2013 at 10:48:21 PM EST

Awesome! [nt] by littlestar (2.00 / 0) #26 Wed Sep 11, 2013 at 05:31:57 PM EST