Print Story Cannibals; Art Thief
By johnny (Sat Aug 10, 2013 at 08:14:06 AM EST) (all tags)
Read a really great long-form story in Vanity Fair magazine (printed on glossy stock) about a U.S. Army general, forget his name, from a patrician old family married to a woman who was from another wealthy blue-blood family.

The beginning of the article was about how in old times people from fancy families with scads of money used to serve in the Army, but it never happens anymore.

But the meat of the story was that both of 'em, husband & wife, were cannibals. They had started, mildly enough, eating tiny bits of each other! But then the habit just grew, you know, as it does, and eventually they were Dexter/Lecter class killers. Until they got caught. Alas,

It was a dream. I was really enjoying reading the article, but the dog woke me up to take her out to pee, so poof, there went that dream. It was 6:11 AM so I fed the dog breakfast.

Then I went back to to bed for a bit, and I dreamed that I became a Cary Grant type art thief (only I was more like Sean Connery), like Pierce Brosnan in The Thomas Crown Affair (but, again, I was more like Sean Connery/James Bond) and I stole art & jewelry from mega-rich art collectors who themselves had collections made of stolen art. Some of my preferred locales were Buenos Aeries, Quito, Dubai, and New York City.

To do this, of course, I had to gain entree in to the world of the mega-rich people, which I did with my sophistication and charm and sheer chutzpah. Glittering parties and all that. Hints of orgies too, but none of that materialized. I really loathed the people and enjoyed ripping off their prized art, most of it stolen from museums.

Anyway, by then it was 7:30 or so and the dog woke me up to take her outside to poop. So, there went that dream.

More than Technician, I have stayed away from Husi for quite a while now, mainly just reading, seldom commenting. I've been spending a lot of "social media" time on twitter and goodreads, because I'm trying to sell books because I'm crazy, so I need to get better known among book readers. Also, although Kellnerin will believe it when she sees it, I have two new books coming out relatively soon.

But like Technician I really miss this place when I'm not around. I haven't really participated much here in a year or more. My  bad.

Like, frinstance, I read Lord Hulver's account of his London to Scotland bike ride and was very moved by it. Not just the courageous ride, but the honesty of the writing and photographs, including self-portraits of a man going to the very edge of complete exhaustion. I've been thinking about that a lot.

Also been thinking about Atreides's recent entries; very moved but not able to say much.

I think I should spend a little more time here again. It's a place of real friendship, which I could use a bit of right now actually.

Twitter is fun also, in a way, and I've met some friends through it also. But my intent there is quite mercenary, which it isn't here.

Cheerio.

< Strange times | Doing the CSS/HTML impossible: clickable BKG IMG >
Cannibals; Art Thief | 11 comments (11 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Art Theif Sean Connery by Vulch (4.00 / 1) #1 Sat Aug 10, 2013 at 10:18:45 AM EST
As in The Anderson Tapes or Entrapment maybe?

Hmmm, where did the "Find films where X appeared with Y" feature on IMDB go?

Good suggestions by johnny (2.00 / 0) #4 Sat Aug 10, 2013 at 07:26:44 PM EST
I'll check 'em out. Sounds like just the kind of thing Dear Wife & I would enjoy together.

"the meat of the story" by Kellnerin (2.00 / 0) #2 Sat Aug 10, 2013 at 11:38:28 AM EST
That sort of pun deserves a punch in the arm.

Two books? Color me incredulous. But why don't you say more about that kinda stuff in those socially mediated places, or your public blog, even? Dare I suggest it would be more intriguing than reviews of your earlier books.

"Plans aren't check lists, they are loose frameworks for what's going to go wrong." -- technician

Well the first book is Biodigital, which by johnny (2.00 / 0) #5 Sat Aug 10, 2013 at 07:39:18 PM EST
you yourself have already read, so you know it exists.

I'm just finishing up implementing some of your editorial suggestions, putting back in some of the stuff that Victoria had me take out.  Yes, Biodigital just a revised Acts of the Apostles, but I'm counting it as a new book, and it exists so I might as well sell the stupid thing. Or at least put it up for sale. So that makes one new book.

The other is Creation Science, which I'm assembling much more in the manner of CCD than in the manner or Acts or Pains.

That is to say, CS does have a linear structure of sorts, but it has lots of sub-parts that I've already written or outlined as sub-parts, and I'm pretty confident that I know where I'm going with the book as a whole, so now it's a SME, Simple Matter of Engineering, or in this case Simple Matter of Writing, to make it done.  I am actually working on it. Yes, it's true.

So now we'll just have to see whether johnny can actually finish a book or two, which we know is a very Black Swanny kind of thing. On the other hand, it has thrice happened, so there is an existence proof.

waiting eagerly to see the result by Kellnerin (2.00 / 0) #11 Tue Aug 13, 2013 at 09:42:32 PM EST
I do think, when you get closer to wrapping up Biodigital into a saleable state (or perhaps have just done so and released it upon the world), it would be neat if you wrote something about its adventures in coming into being over on Wetmachine.

I am intrigued to see how CS turns out. And when.

You know your next book by iGrrrl (4.00 / 2) #3 Sat Aug 10, 2013 at 07:18:56 PM EST
It'll be about the cannibals in the dream. You'll sell it under an initialed name (clear sign it's a female writer) and it will sell millions.

"Beautiful wine, talking of scattered everythings"
(and thanks to Scrymarch)

My below note by johnny (2.00 / 0) #7 Sat Aug 10, 2013 at 07:46:23 PM EST
is in reply to this. Evidently I've forgotten how to use HuSi.

Also one hell of a long day setting up, hosting, cleaning up after baby shower for Older Daughter. I'm exhausted.

I'll diarize about that next, prolly. Oy.

Your keyboard, my sweet friend, by johnny (2.00 / 0) #6 Sat Aug 10, 2013 at 07:40:21 PM EST
to God's input device.

Better if by technician (4.00 / 1) #8 Sun Aug 11, 2013 at 12:05:58 AM EST
the husband and wife are both communist sympathizers in the 1950s, one a physicist and the other a housewife who poisons neighbors with perfectly made cupcakes.

David Fincher could direct. Cold muted blues and wood tones.

has to be a poison that breaks down in cooking by iGrrrl (4.00 / 2) #9 Sun Aug 11, 2013 at 04:53:05 PM EST
Since, y'know, they're cannibals.

"Beautiful wine, talking of scattered everythings"
(and thanks to Scrymarch)

True. by technician (4.00 / 1) #10 Sun Aug 11, 2013 at 06:46:05 PM EST
Drug them? Or make the cupcakes so extraordinary that the person consuming them is enveloped in a zealous gastronomic pleasure so intense they don't notice the guy with the axe.

Cannibals; Art Thief | 11 comments (11 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback