Print Story considering Minecraft hosting
Games
By clover kicker (Wed Jun 26, 2013 at 03:03:05 PM EST) (all tags)
The neighbour's teenage sons are into skateboarding. He built a plywood ramp and slidey-rail-thingie for them. He never has to wonder what the boys are up to, they're out in the driveway with their buddies going back/forth/up/down trying to injure themselves, I consider it great parenting.

In a similar vein my the kids are getting into Minecraft and want to play online with friends. I think the easiest way to keep tabs on that is to buy a cheap hosting package for the kids, they can invite their friends, if there's any BS I control the whitelist.

Vanilla servers look pretty underfeatured and supposedly are super vulnerable to griefers. But if I backup every night and whitelist access surely it won't be too bad.

The upside of Vanilla is lack of effort, I don't have to figure out which mods to bother with and updates are trivial.

There's a lot of good-sounding features in Bukkit, but most of that functionality I don't need and I wonder how much hassle it is to re-install the mods after an update?

Also, I don't want to be enslaved to installing Just One More Mod every goddamn day.

So, anyone have experience or advice?

< Holy crap Texas! | What’s the contour integral around western Europe? >
considering Minecraft hosting | 27 comments (27 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
bukkit w/ few mods by jaxom green (2.00 / 0) #1 Wed Jun 26, 2013 at 03:27:54 PM EST
It's fairly easy to get bukkit up and running, but mods can be a hassle, especially because they often don't get updated as fast as the client version.  I run (well it's down right now, so ran) a bukkit server for my kids and their friends, it's a pain because the kids quickly bored of the near vanilla experience plus they didn't co-ordinate with play time so they rarely were on the server together.  Couple that with kids who could barely run minecraft on their old machine (one kept asking me to turn the world into superflat becuase otherwise his computer crashed) and it's a huge hassle.

You might consider trying to find a public server that heavily restricts chat and such so that it might be kid friendly enough.

yeah that's kind of what I expected by clover kicker (2.00 / 0) #2 Wed Jun 26, 2013 at 04:01:17 PM EST
Fer sure I don't want this to be a chore.

To be honest I'd rather they get bored of a server I control/monitor then to try to find a public one I trust.

twitcraft by jaxom green (2.00 / 0) #3 Wed Jun 26, 2013 at 04:20:32 PM EST
mc.twit.tv is pretty good, but it's on an old client version because of mods issues.

I'd suggest starting with an unmodded whitelisted bukkit server if you want to DIY, it's a lot easier to add mods to bukkit if you need it that to mod the base server.  Mods in bukkit is pretty much just copy mods to a sub folder of the server.  Only a few require patching source code.  It's the version dance that is the pain.

when they announced the Mojang hosting by clover kicker (2.00 / 0) #4 Wed Jun 26, 2013 at 04:52:05 PM EST
I was quite interested, looks like a very hassle-free setup, no configurability = low maintenance. But who knows when that will actually be available.

There's an update soon, once Bukkit catches up maybe I'll noodle around and see what I'm in for.

No, but I'm curious by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #5 Wed Jun 26, 2013 at 04:54:06 PM EST
Nearly_twelve_year old wants Minecraft for her birthday, and I'm still figuring out the whole deal.

Only $27 to get it, no subscriptions?

No brainer, IMHO by ucblockhead (4.00 / 2) #9 Wed Jun 26, 2013 at 05:58:51 PM EST
Best $20 I ever spent.  I got it for the boy just over two years ago, and he has been playing it constantly since then.  90% of his daily computer time is either playing Minecraft or watching youtube videos about Minecraft.

As far as games go, it's hugely creative, completely "age appropriate" for grade school kids, and online servers tend to be very good at dealing with kids. I'd recommend it over almost all "kids" games.

Also, get the PC version, not the XBox or tablet versions as those are severely limited.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman

Not too much of a change then by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #15 Wed Jun 26, 2013 at 06:18:42 PM EST
she spends a lot of time watching minecraft videos already.

Feed the Beast and Tekkit by marvin (2.00 / 0) #6 Wed Jun 26, 2013 at 05:16:58 PM EST
We run the server package on local desktops, which we opened up through the firewall to allow their cousin to play. He's a griefer, so I didn't bother reopening it after some firewall changes. They sometimes play on a server operated by the father of one of their schoolmates too, but it isn't always up.

My kids spend an inordinate amount of time watching Yogscast on youtube, which is a few foul-mouthed english fellows dicking about in Minecraft.

At home, they usually play Tekkit servers, or Feed the Beast. These extensions offer more block types than vanilla, and a lot of interesting things you can do. The complexity gets a little ridiculous (well beyond what I can be bothered to learn), but my kids seem to spend a lot of time blowing stuff up with TNT, and do little more than scratch the surface of the modpacks. I think the Yogscast guys were building a working petrochemical plant in Tekkit or FtB a year or so ago - process piping, etc.

My kids are 10, 12 and 14, and have been installing their own minecraft stuff on the kids PC for the past year or two. The oldest lost install privileges (and a few months of computer access) after downloading cracks that installed a bitcoin miner trojan.

bwahaha a glimpse into my future by clover kicker (2.00 / 0) #7 Wed Jun 26, 2013 at 05:44:20 PM EST
My kids are 7 and 9 and the youngest is the most interested, so I've been resisting the more complex stuff like Tekkit because I'd have to do the installing and then show him how everything works.

And yes the YouTube minecraft videos are a huge attraction, I don't get see the appeal but I suppose it's no more harmful to their moral fibre then YouTubing pop music videos etc.

They haven't discovered... by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #10 Wed Jun 26, 2013 at 06:01:17 PM EST
"Minecraft parodies"?

As far as I can tell, immediately upon a pop song hitting the top of the charts, someone makes a "minecraft parody".
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman

oh yeah by clover kicker (2.00 / 0) #12 Wed Jun 26, 2013 at 06:06:01 PM EST
But at least half the time they don't know the original song being parodied.

Less skin and wiggling booty, at least by marvin (2.00 / 0) #13 Wed Jun 26, 2013 at 06:09:24 PM EST
Compared to a music video.

The idea of the yogscast fellows showing some skin and wriggling suggestively makes me feel ill.

Let me know how it goes by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #8 Wed Jun 26, 2013 at 05:49:13 PM EST
I run a vanilla server off and on that only my son and a couple friends have the address of.  The boy is constantly badgering me about installing mods, and has mostly given up on our own server because of it.  I'm tempted by a hosting package.

(Partly because the server is running on my laptop and the only other box available is an ancient Mac Mini.)
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman

mods by clover kicker (2.00 / 0) #11 Wed Jun 26, 2013 at 06:05:08 PM EST
The worst thing about the game IMHO there are a gazillion of 'em. I've considered trying out one of the mod managers, maybe they could manage their own mods, but I'm pretty sure that way lies madness.

Worse by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #14 Wed Jun 26, 2013 at 06:14:56 PM EST
Every time they upgrade Minecraft, you need to get all new mods.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
Minecraft is a moving target for sure by marvin (2.00 / 0) #16 Wed Jun 26, 2013 at 07:13:36 PM EST
We had major drama whenever the youngest would click "yes" on an update to the minecraft client, before the older boys favourite servers got updated, or before bukkit got updated.

I think minecraft is a lot more stable than it was a year or two ago. I got pretty pissed at Notch over the amount of whining I had to endure because he couldn't figure out how to build a stable plugin system or sane release schedule.

sheesh by dev trash (2.00 / 0) #17 Wed Jun 26, 2013 at 09:14:07 PM EST
It's like a 4 line ini file

I DON'T CARE ABOUT YOUR BALLS! ->clock
Moar detail required by marvin (2.00 / 0) #18 Wed Jun 26, 2013 at 09:48:06 PM EST
"It's" is referring to what?

Cheap server hosting by Dr Thrustgood (2.00 / 0) #19 Thu Jun 27, 2013 at 05:54:25 AM EST
(NB: no idea if lag affects things in Minecraft, if so, maybe look elsewhere).

I've had great success with hetzner.de's cheap dedicated servers. A bog-standard 3TB 16GB i7 comes in at $65/mo (https://robot.your-server.de/order/market), and if you're happy with slightly older hardware, you could get a 320GB 2GB AMD thing for just under $30: https://robot.your-server.de/order/market

Yeah I've been thinking about that too by clover kicker (2.00 / 0) #20 Thu Jun 27, 2013 at 09:26:45 AM EST
I bought %FAMILYNAME%.org a few years ago and never did anything with it, but I wanted to keep it away from domain name speculators. It might be cool to buy hosting and give the kids a %KID%@%FAMILYNAME%.org email address and website, but then I'd actually have to be proactive about security updates etc.

I can get budget vanilla minecraft hosting for $6/month, or Bukkit for $10/month, and wouldn't have to worry about the OS etc.

can't recommend that. by the mariner (2.00 / 0) #21 Sat Jun 29, 2013 at 04:31:57 PM EST
the game rots the mind and dulls the senses. i'm amazed parents allow their teenagers to play minecraft at all. if your fourteen year old son asked you for playdough or fingerpaints to play with with his friends, you'd be stunned into silence, look into getting him into a different school, and perhaps call a therapist. minecraft is an activity fit for mental patients, not children of sound mind and body.

why can't your kids play sports? or failing that, quake? if they're going to play a game, it should at least develop their minds, bodies, or reflexes.

i hate to be the minecraft scold around here, but people need to wake up.

n/s by clover kicker (2.00 / 0) #22 Sat Jun 29, 2013 at 06:29:03 PM EST
Thank you for your valuable and insightful contribution.

alright, it's your call. by the mariner (2.00 / 0) #23 Sun Jun 30, 2013 at 08:18:46 AM EST
if you want a kid who spends his adult life in your basement and whose passion is totino's pizza rolls, fine.

thanks for taking the time to comment by clover kicker (2.00 / 0) #24 Sun Jun 30, 2013 at 09:03:54 AM EST
Your suggestion will receive all the attention and consideration that it deserves.

good to hear. by the mariner (2.00 / 0) #25 Sun Jun 30, 2013 at 09:42:12 AM EST
when i turn out to be right, i'm sure you'll remember it.

Right, first minecraft, then hacking by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #26 Mon Jul 01, 2013 at 04:57:01 PM EST
and before you know it, you have to ask if your son is a computer hacker.

no, first minecraft, then neckbeard at gamestop. by the mariner (2.00 / 0) #27 Tue Jul 02, 2013 at 08:20:56 PM EST
hackers play quake, so they get at least one thing right.

considering Minecraft hosting | 27 comments (27 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback