Print Story It's bike to school day in the US
Cycling
By georgeha (Wed May 08, 2013 at 04:15:05 PM EST) bikes, Han shot first (all tags)
and eleven year old did.

In other bike topics, why would a tire keep unseating?

It's been a busy week. I'm now hosting two weekly meetings that start at 9, which wouldn't be too bad except it takes a significant time for my aging laptop to start up webex. I need to be at work before 9, 8:45 is about the latest.

That sounds easy, except I have to fit in making coffee, getting the family up, packing lunches, possibly moving a car and a shower. We live about 20 minutes from my work. My old routine of getting everyone out the door by 8 so I have five minutes to myself before a shower won't cut it, so I've been getting up at 6.

Today was another meeting and a test bike train run for bike to school day for eleven_year_old. Sixteen_year_old had a dental appointment at 9:45. So again, get up at 6, get caffeinated, a quick shower and eleven_year_old were out the door at 7 to rendezvous at 7:30. Google suggested 20 minutes, we made it in 15. Eleven year old needs work on situational awareness and stopping. I told her to regard drivers as blind idiots who are sleeping.

Then, get back for meeting and email, then taking the sixteen_year_old to the dentist. Finally, back to work, after dropping sixteen_year_old off, she didn't want to ride.

Last evening was busy, of course, due to prep work. Going over the bikes to test tires and brakes along with a few test rides. I found out that my hand me down mountain bike's rear tire kept popping off the wheel. I'm hoping it was just an old tire with a shitty bead, rather than something more difficult. Anyhow I ended up taking sixteen year old's bike. Fixing the bike is now on the to-do list, as we have a family ride planned for Saturday, and another bike train next Wednesday.

Tonight is a quick shopping trip, a quick dinner then Girl Scouts, hopefully only one way. Tomorrow is another early morning for a driver meeting.

It's not all hectic toil, drudgery and poverty. I bought a DVD set of Star Wars off ebay that included the original theatrical release. I can show the kids that yes, Han really did shoot first.

< Attn:LHusiBeer infidels | Chapter 8 >
It's bike to school day in the US | 10 comments (10 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
shitty bead by ObviousTroll (2.00 / 0) #1 Wed May 08, 2013 at 04:50:25 PM EST
That's the first thing I thought of, followed by a tire that isn't quite the right size for the wheel.

An Angry and Flatulent Pig, Trying to Tie Balloon Animals
It used to work by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #2 Wed May 08, 2013 at 04:56:00 PM EST
it's probably the original tire, and 10+ years old, so it must have been the right size once.

If the tire is 10+ years old by FlightTest (4.00 / 1) #8 Thu May 09, 2013 at 11:55:53 AM EST
It needs to be replaced.  Rubber doesn't last that long, even stored out of the sun.

But it rode fine last year! by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #9 Thu May 09, 2013 at 12:20:24 PM EST
anyhow, I bought a new one to put on this weekend.

Fine != safe by FlightTest (2.00 / 0) #10 Thu May 09, 2013 at 01:51:19 PM EST
Also, it's not riding so fine now, is it?

Han shot. by ammoniacal (4.00 / 1) #3 Thu May 09, 2013 at 01:42:52 AM EST
There was no second.</pedant>

huh ? by sasquatchan (2.00 / 0) #4 Thu May 09, 2013 at 09:53:48 AM EST
getting the family up, packing lunches,

why are you responsible for those things ? (your lunch, sure, everyone ? no.)

Two reasons by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #5 Thu May 09, 2013 at 10:01:27 AM EST
I am the most energetic at 6 in the morning. It takes some effort to get eleven_year_old out of bed, and a lot of effort to get sixteen_year_old out of bed.

I don't know what they do when I'm away for work. At this point I'm counting the years until I no longer do this, one more year of two lunches, then five more years.

Second, Mrs. Ha drives Porsche_girl to school in the morning, and is a backup for Porsche-boy, so she's away for 20 minutes.

a few days of no lunch by sasquatchan (2.00 / 0) #6 Thu May 09, 2013 at 10:11:05 AM EST
and those girls will either make their own (AM or night before), or be begging for lunch money.. Either way, problem solved (well, short of making sure they aren't stealing from your wallet..)

Like Dylan said by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #7 Thu May 09, 2013 at 10:22:45 AM EST
when you've got no money in your wallet, there's no money to steal.

Regardless, they don't like school lunches.

Eleven year old would probably pack her own lunch, sixteen year old would put it off, or end up staying up until midnight, making her even harder to get out of bed, or just living on candy at school.

I've got it down to a craft, they almost always get the same stuff and it takes me about five minutes.