Print Story addicted to chex mix
By gzt (Wed Apr 03, 2013 at 10:25:32 PM EST) gzt, texas, epictetus, freedom, enlightenment (all tags)
rather, generic brand chex mix. ghghlghlhglhglhgm.

Had a test last night. I mucked a few things up. It's methods, not theory.

I'm ambivalent about or hostile to the Enlightenment, and insofar as the American experiment is an Enlightenment project, I'm ambivalent about it. After all, my own ancestors were Loyalists who fled the country, if they weren't random Huguenots, Germans, or divers Scandinavians in the Old Countries at that time. Anyway, but I've come to the realization over the past few days that Texas, as a spiritual ideal, signifies almost everything I distrust about the American experiment. Of course, Texas is also my vision of Hell: hot and full of Baptists. But Texas to me signifies the libertarian perversion of the Enlightenment ideal: Ayn Rand or Nozick's solitary individual with no laws to constrain his/her "liberty", which consequently means no laws to protect the less privileged from the whims of the rentier class who are not constrained by conventional notions of virtue. Contrast with, say, a conception of freedom more similar to Epictetus' but not quite the same, which would be freedom from the passions in order to do good or be excellent.

Here is Epictetus on freedom, you'll see how that is not quite what I say it is: http://www.sacred-texts.com/cla/dep/dep087.htm

Anyway, in short, I dislike Texas qua Texas.

< Training and things | I have a new favourite tv presenter. >
addicted to chex mix | 6 comments (6 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Most of the Texans I've met are friendly by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #1 Thu Apr 04, 2013 at 04:32:58 PM EST
at least, though I was on business trips and kept the talk light and business appropriate.

sure, they're all very nice people by gzt (2.00 / 0) #2 Thu Apr 04, 2013 at 06:04:19 PM EST
I'm married to a Texan, after all.

Is she from the soon to be underwater part? by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #3 Thu Apr 04, 2013 at 09:10:04 PM EST
Or the soon to be an even more arid and hot desert part, assuming Climate Change is real.

definitely seen to be underwater by gzt (2.00 / 0) #4 Thu Apr 04, 2013 at 09:47:29 PM EST
it's marshy at even the best of times.

texas by garlic (2.00 / 0) #5 Thu Apr 04, 2013 at 11:08:05 PM EST
Back when it was Tejas, they banned bringing in slaves. So the American immigrants brought in 'indentured servants'. Then they fought with Mexico for independence (because Mexico was being a dick) and when they won, they tried to kick out any free blacks. And they were dicks to the Tejanos, including one of the few Alamo survivors. They couldn't balance a budget for shit, and begged to be annexed. Then less than 20 years later, they tried to secede. And current monuments claim it wasn't a rebellion, nor about slavery, but a legal and justified response to a violation of states rights.

why do you hate freedom by gzt (2.00 / 0) #6 Thu Apr 04, 2013 at 11:19:30 PM EST
but, yes, that's the kind of thing I'm talking about.

addicted to chex mix | 6 comments (6 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback