Print Story Training and things
Cycling
By hulver (Wed Apr 03, 2013 at 12:41:01 PM EST) (all tags)
It's bloody cold here.

I have not been doing enough training lately.

The time until the LEL ride is decreasing rapidly, and I'm still fat and unfit. I've sorted out my bike. New back wheel, new chainset, new front light (with USB power output to charge up GPS and phone on the move).

The new back wheel has been a bit of a trial. The rim is a lot tighter than my old wheel, and makes changing tubes if I get a puncture very difficult. I broke a tyre lever getting the tyre on the rim the first time I tried.

It's also caused two aborted rides, when I just had to give up changing the tubes any more.

First ride I punctured after 8km. I fixed that and rode on, to puncture again less than 3km further on. I then noticed that the punctures were in the same place, and the tyre was a bit worn out.

So, by ripping up a discarded KFC drinks cup (thick waxed paper) I made a tyre boot and managed to get home. Changing the tubes was a nightmare though.

New tyres purchase, I tried again. This time at 60kmh downhill the back tyre let go again. Couldn't see a reason, but I was using the tube I'd repaired the previous time and thought that the repair had failed.

I then failed in a big way changing the tube. The tyre was a nightmare to get off, and I shredded the new tube putting it back on by getting it caught between the rim and the tyre in a few places. During all this, it started snowing on me as well.

I had a long walk (with a friendly pick up by a local cyclist from a club after 2-3km) and a rescue by RR in the car.

Then I took an afternoon off work, despairing at getting any training in, what with a certain important life event also rapidly approaching.

I did a 55km loop on that ride, but really screwed up part of the route planning, and ended up on a rutted muddy bridle way being the only way I could go, or risking what I know to be a nightmare dual carriageway which is treated as a motorway.

I took the bridleway, on 23mm tyres, and fell off into a big puddle. Soaking wet, ripped clothes, bleeding arm, 30km from home, and it was really cold. I lost my mojo a bit at that, and plodded home via some short cuts from my intended route.

I've not been out since.

However, my times have been improving. Every time I've been out, I've improved my average speed, and got Personal Records on many Strava segments. Not by trying to beat the segment, but just by concentrating on upping my average speed.

I've also lost 10kg in the last two months. So that's going quite well as well.

My times do need to improve. I need to keep up at least a 24kmh moving average to get around the LEL course with time to sleep. Every 1kmh less on the average speed means about an hour less sleeping time per night.

In other news...

I've got about 4 weeks left as an unmarried man. Looking forward to it. Still a lot left to do. Doing a DIY shoestring wedding means a lot more work for us (or rather, RR taking on a lot more work). She's been amazing, and has organised so much. I've pretty much just been handling the money side, and getting the bar sorted.

That's it for me, how are you doing?

< Fuck Cancer | addicted to chex mix >
Training and things | 19 comments (19 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Cold here, too by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #1 Wed Apr 03, 2013 at 01:43:03 PM EST
And days like today where it's warm enough to ride it's too damn windy.

Should warm up this weekend.

Work is meh, life is good, and I didn't gain any weight over the winter.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

23mm? by marvin (2.00 / 0) #2 Wed Apr 03, 2013 at 01:56:44 PM EST
Wouldn't something wider like 25mm or 28mm be more comfortable to ride, give you fewer flats, and be more tolerant of varying road conditions? You're doing an endurance event, and won't be going fast enough to worry about aerodynamics of a slightly wider tire anyways. Ride comfort and reliability (less time spent repairing flats) would seem to make more sense to me than running temperamental, high-strung weight-weenie gear.

no room by hulver (2.00 / 0) #3 Wed Apr 03, 2013 at 01:59:44 PM EST
I've only got clearance for 23mm tyres. The crud road racers don't work with any thing else, and I don't have room for bigger guards.
used to such small tyres though, and puncture aren't usually a problem with tyres that aren't worn out.
Cheese is not a hat. - clock
Ouch by marvin (2.00 / 0) #4 Wed Apr 03, 2013 at 02:19:47 PM EST
I had a bike like that for a few years. It was fun to a certain point, but never again. My future (non-mountain) bike purchases will have touring geometry, several braze-ons, rack mounting points, fender mounting points, and clearance for at least 32mm tires plus a fender.

Not forgetting by anonimouse (4.00 / 2) #6 Wed Apr 03, 2013 at 04:55:54 PM EST
,,, a wicker basket on the front.

Girls come and go but a mortgage is for 25 years -- JtL
Which tyres? by Herring (2.00 / 0) #5 Wed Apr 03, 2013 at 03:04:53 PM EST
I found the Gatorskin Hardshell a complete mare to fit on the Kysiriums. So much so that I've left them on the shit wheels with GP4000s's on the Kysiriums - which are a bit light for winter. I gather that the Marathon+'s are a swine too. Conti 4 seasons (that I put on the boy's bike) seem fine.

My friend Rob, who has done many 12 hour TTs says that the key thing is not distance/speed as such but time in the saddle. I have abandoned my plan to do the ECCA 12 hour this year because, with Mum being ill and stuff, I just can't get in enough 150+ mile rides beforehand.

10kg. Blimey. GWF.

christ, we're all old now - StackyMcRacky

The worn tyre by hulver (2.00 / 0) #8 Wed Apr 03, 2013 at 05:05:34 PM EST
Was a Gatorskin.

I'm now running Michelin Krylions, which are pretty good. Shame they don't make them anymore. I've got some Pro Endurance to go on as well.

I did like Gatorskins, but they don't last very long, and that's the second time I've had a ride spoiled by a worn one.
Cheese is not a hat. - clock

I recommend by Herring (2.00 / 0) #12 Wed Apr 03, 2013 at 06:15:38 PM EST
the tyres I have on my TT bike. Vittoria Corsa Evo KS Tubular. They ride lovely. And all I can say is thank fuck I haven't had to change one yet as I really don't know what I'm doing.

A lot of people in the club swear by the GP 4 seasons. I would say that for something like LEL, that being able to fix a puncture rather than squatting by the side of the road with bleeding thumbs, weeping from frustration and lack of sleep is probably worth the extra risk of getting a puncture. Also I got a CO2 inflator for the 100 mile TT I did and it's worth having and getting used to using it. And making sure that you don't lose the little O ring because otherwise it becomes a combined hand-freezer/tyre-deflator and nobody wants that.

christ, we're all old now - StackyMcRacky

How are we? by FlightTest (2.00 / 0) #7 Wed Apr 03, 2013 at 05:02:33 PM EST
We just got back from our 16th anniversary trip.  Had a complete blast at a "Safari" B&B, fed elephants, petted a siberian lynx, relaxed and ate well, and also rented a tandem to ride around Pebble Beach golf course ("17 mile drive").  Amazed at how much harder pedaling on flat pedals in jeans is compared to clipless and cycling kit.  Still, an absolutely gorgeous and thoroughly enjoyable ride, make us wish we had invested in a GoPro to video the ride.

Our long awaited tandem came in, with the paint wrong.  So after a quick test ride which confirmed that it does in fact ride much like my road bike (as advertised), the frame went back for re-painting.  Hope to get it back soon.  I have a goal of 100 km/week cycling, and I'm well ahead of the that goal right now.  I've hardly rode my road bike at all this year, it's almost all been on our old tandem, which is fine, other than not really riding "with" the club.  We start out 15 minutes before the recreational group, and finish usually 15 to 30 minutes after them.  Hopefully with the new tandem that will change quickly and we will be able to keep up with the rec group, or at least on the flat sections if not the hills.  Mrs. FT is quickly becoming a savage stoker, and really doesn't want a road bike of her own.

Cool. by hulver (2.00 / 0) #9 Wed Apr 03, 2013 at 05:07:51 PM EST
I'm considering trying to get RR to try a tandem. She's pretty tall though, so like you we'd struggle to get an "off the peg" tandem comfortable.

I don't know if she'd like it though.

Mrs. FT sounds like a good engine to have. :)
Cheese is not a hat. - clock

I suspect you know this, but by FlightTest (2.00 / 0) #10 Wed Apr 03, 2013 at 05:41:02 PM EST
The question isn't really how tall RR is in absolute height, the question is how tall is she in relation to you.  If she's the typical 4 to 8 (or even more) inches shorter, you (should) have no problem with an off the shelf tandem, unless you're quite abnormally tall or short.  If she's taller than you by more than an inch or two though, it might be a struggle, even with a custom bike.  Mrs. FT is the same height as me, and was immediately significantly more comfortable on the new tandem, even given the short ride we did.

Can you get rentals in your area?  We would never have bought one had we not rented one for the day on a vacation trip.  Or maybe one of your club-mates might have one in a garage or attic unused they might be willing to lend you.  One of the couples in our club has been riding a borrowed tandem for about a year now.

They are similar by Herring (2.00 / 0) #11 Wed Apr 03, 2013 at 06:07:56 PM EST
(massive) heights. I can see getting an OTP tandem being difficult. Given the money, Roberts in Croydon will build a beautiful custom one. I have seen a couple on the roads around here and they really are magnificent looking machines.

christ, we're all old now - StackyMcRacky
I saw a tandem recumbent last weekend. by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #13 Wed Apr 03, 2013 at 06:58:16 PM EST
Weird looking thing

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Given large amounts of disposable money by FlightTest (2.00 / 0) #14 Wed Apr 03, 2013 at 07:22:30 PM EST
We'd like to get one of these for trips to the beach and super-flat rides.  We're keeping the old heavy tandem now for that (it has a rack and panniers), but the Viewpoint would be better for leisure rides, giving both the stoker and captain unobstructed views.

Heh by Herring (2.00 / 0) #16 Thu Apr 04, 2013 at 04:18:10 AM EST
My friend Tamar is with her other half Keith in China right now. They have a semi-recumbent. It's taken them a while to get there though.

christ, we're all old now - StackyMcRacky
I've looked at Hase bikes before by FlightTest (2.00 / 0) #17 Thu Apr 04, 2013 at 11:45:41 AM EST
I'd have to ride one a bit before I would feel comfortable with those handlebars. While test-riding a Bilenky would probably entail visiting the east coast, it's an area we already plan to visit in the next few years anyways (it's near relatives and HuSites).

I believe they had a frame failure by Herring (2.00 / 0) #18 Thu Apr 04, 2013 at 11:50:49 AM EST
in Serbia (or somewhere like that).

More worrying apparently is Keith descending at 50mph with the panniers scraping the road on the corners.

christ, we're all old now - StackyMcRacky

I am by dev trash (4.00 / 1) #15 Wed Apr 03, 2013 at 09:27:41 PM EST
fat/unfit/getting old.

However I had a date tonight so not all is bad.

I DON'T CARE ABOUT YOUR BALLS! ->clock

Sounds by littlestar (2.00 / 0) #19 Sat Apr 06, 2013 at 01:31:42 AM EST
 Like you're doing really well.  I use strava too for running, and will for biking when we start that up for the season. I really like that app, although i liked it better before the last upgrade. We are planning on doing a lot more biking this season as I've really gotten into it at the gym and really look forward to real roads and nicer views. Right now we both have mountain bike type bikes, I wonder if this season I'm not gonna be wanting a lighter weight. I suspect I will.

Wedding time soon, that's very exciting. :) you now everything is gonna be ok if you've got the bar sorted. I hope it all goes swimmingly and look forward to pics.

*twinkle*twinkle*