Print Story I'm still alive
Wizards and Hobbits
By gzt (Wed Apr 24, 2013 at 09:55:46 PM EST) gzt, chechens, work, more work, c is now my grade, crappy pop, el bencho (all tags)
After a long bout where I spent all weekend doing a lot of C programming and other divers and sundry crap (including a theory problem added to the homework late which, annoyingly, I couldn't figure out even after reading the solution (which was 3-4 pages)), I've sort of gotten into a very productive kick. I even got some homework that is due on Friday done, like, yesterday.

Except for one problem that's not really that hard. I just can't get the Fisher information to work out right. The algebra just won't go. I keep getting bogged down. It's stupid.

Summer: been informed that if a couple more people sign up for the Intro Business Stats class this summer, they'll need another section and I'll teach it. The current plan is less money to do some TA crap and I'll start on my MS thesis. To do: talk to some people in the next couple weeks to see if they have projects that I can work on.

The project I'm working on for my stat computing class is trying out a new idea for k-means image compression. Not sure how it will go, but we have high hopes. I was kind of interested in another project for the course, too, which seemed a little overambitious, on using Andrews curves for data visualization (see this web-log for a discussion of what they are: http://rip94550.wordpress.com/2011/10/03/andrews-curves/). Maybe I'll look into that for the summer?

Got a free lunch the other day. Thanks Obamacare! Some sort of company with Big Data in health insurance is trying to set up a research partnership with the department, will fund research. Big Data, lots of supervised and unsupervised classification problems, almost all of it is categorical. Could be some interesting problems. They would definitely like my resume. Downsides: SAS shop, I thought I escaped friggin' health insurance.

I ran into one of my students at the gym. Awkward. He has a decent bench, I've seen him do 275 easily and he looked like he had a lot more. Fortunately, today was heavy day on squats, so I had nothing to be embarrassed about. Last week, I ran into some students on light bench day and I felt like I should've apologized, saying, "No, really, I can bench more than 205, guys... guys...". Fortunately, he were benching less, so it wasn't so bad.

I wanted to try some kind of pop for my coding marathon because I wanted a cold source of caffeine - tea gets to you after a while. After going through some diet cherry colas, I decided to give the generic stuff a whirl. So I tried the "diet cherry". It actually tasted pretty good, but it turned out to be caffeine free. It was merely a cherry pop, not a knock off cherry cola (eg, not a knock-off of Cherry Coke or Wild Cherry Pepsi). I am disappoint. So I tried, just to see how it was, "Diet Dr. Hy Vee". It tasted crummy. I decided, why not, I might as well try "Diet Cola". That... was the worst. It tasted like RC filtered through somebody's anus. So I'm back 100% on tea.

Best part about reading the news this week is how even nice people are being totally racist about Chechens.

R Studio is a nice IDE for R, but I'm definitely shifting more toward even doing my R programming in Emacs because R Studio doesn't behave enough like a text editor. Okay, they've actually put in a vim mode, but I chose Emacs.

< Fascinating, I'm sure. | A few conversations >
I'm still alive | 11 comments (11 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
yeah, generic anything is rarely worth it imo. by the mariner (4.00 / 1) #1 Wed Apr 24, 2013 at 10:45:27 PM EST
i learned that lesson with yogurt years ago, but pop's another good example. i'm sure you know the ketchup article, but it briefly outlines the issues with generic cola. (actually, maybe the article ties in with statistics/categorical whatever somehow o.o;)

also, nice people are never racist, because racism is evil.

this is partly why i tried... by gzt (2.00 / 0) #9 Thu Apr 25, 2013 at 10:12:04 AM EST
...the cherry - dr pepper knock off - unflavored knock off route. additional flavor on top masks the failure of the general profile.

Ran into one of my teachers at the gym. by ammoniacal (4.00 / 2) #2 Wed Apr 24, 2013 at 11:19:33 PM EST

Why not by Driusan (4.00 / 1) #3 Thu Apr 25, 2013 at 08:26:08 AM EST
use iced tea?

Either the American or the Canadian variety, they both have caffeine and both are cold.

Vive le Montréal libre.

what's the difference... by gzt (2.00 / 0) #4 Thu Apr 25, 2013 at 09:13:39 AM EST
...between American and Canadian?

I know the South does their own hideous "sweet tea" variant, but most of  America isn't the South (thankfully).

In Canada by Driusan (4.00 / 1) #6 Thu Apr 25, 2013 at 09:40:58 AM EST
Any time you order iced tea it's a sweetened non-carbonated beverage which tastes almost nothing like tea. I believe if you bought a Nestea from the grocery store it would be the same on both sides of the border and is what Canadians call iced tea, but I might be mistaken on that (It's possible they use a different recipe in USia, I've never bought one there.) Everywhere, if you're one inch across the border that's what you'll get if you order iced tea and people will be confused if you expect anything else.

Once you cross the border to the south, again, even by an inch, "iced tea" becomes hot brewed tea with ice in it, and people get confused if you expect anything else. You can order "sweetened iced tea" (especially near the border where they're used to Canadians cross border shopping), which is the same thing with sugar, but unlike the Canadian version, you can still detect its tea-based origins. I believe sweetened ice tea is super-saturated, because you can't get the same sweetness by taking iced tea and adding sugar.

I've never found any difference between iced tea in the south and in the north of America, in my experience both just have "iced tea" and "sweetened iced tea" variants. It may require more investigation.

Vive le Montréal libre.

Hm by Driusan (4.00 / 1) #7 Thu Apr 25, 2013 at 09:45:56 AM EST
Wikipedia's page on Nestea says that Canada has "Nestea Lemon (natural lemon flavour)" while USia has "Nestea Sweet Tea" and also has the US has non-sweet variants, implying that the recipe is, in fact, different.

Vive le Montréal libre.
interesting by gzt (2.00 / 0) #8 Thu Apr 25, 2013 at 09:50:31 AM EST
at least where I am, iced tea is usually, yes, either brewed hot and then chilled or it can sometimes be done by long steeping in cool water. In certain parts of the south, sweet tea is the default and nothing else is available. I think they brew it by making hot tea, supersaturating with sugar, and then cooling. elsewhere, it's an option, but sometimes not a common one.

^^^all of the south by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #10 Thu Apr 25, 2013 at 10:26:06 AM EST

Don't forget sun tea by lm (2.00 / 0) #11 Thu Apr 25, 2013 at 07:16:09 PM EST
Fill the gallon pickle jar with water, add some tea bags, screw the lid on, leave in the sun all day. Then move to the fridge.

In any case, if caffeine is the point, just go for the pills or five hour energy, or caffeinated peppermints and hydrate with water.

Cicero, The Republic
Big Data by wiredog (4.00 / 1) #5 Thu Apr 25, 2013 at 09:28:21 AM EST
Might want to read up on Solr and Lucene Query Language.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

I'm still alive | 11 comments (11 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback