Print Story So, I caused an auto accident the other day.
Cycling
By ObviousTroll (Wed Apr 24, 2013 at 10:07:37 AM EST) (all tags)
I'm not legally responsible - I'm not even morally responsible, but I'm pretty sure it wouldn't have happened if I wasn't there.

Friday I was on the last bit of my bike commute home, where I'm always faced with a choice. While most of my commute is on the SRT (a rail trail) the last couple of miles are on the street and the last bit is on a road that always jams at rush hour and getting across efficiently, safely and without inducing any road rage from the drivers always requires a bit of thought.

So, depending on the breaks in the traffic and the timing of the lights I might make a left turn at point "A", onto one arm of a small Y-shaped access road, follow it into a mall parking lot and do the last 1/2 mile across the parking lot. Or, I might ride past "A", past "B" (the other arm of the Y, and really inappropriate for left turns) and up to street light "C" which has a left-turn light. I might even end up turning right at "C" then making a U-turn and waiting for the light to change, just because there was no way to get into the turn lane safely.

Anyway, traffic was moving too quickly for me to cross to the middle of the road and turn at point "A", so I skipped it and, when the flow of cars broke up a moment later, I moved left to move into the turn lane at "C". As I do this I notice a woman at "B" turning her head to watch me, obviously a bit annoyed that I was occupying a space she might have pulled out into. Then I notice an oncoming car whose driver is also turning her head to watch me. As the oncoming car passes me I hear "wham!" loud enough that I nearly fell off the bike trying to figure out which way to duck.

Sure enough, the oncoming car t-boned the car trying to pull out.

I thought about turning around to see if anyone needed help, but then thought that if I did that one of them would try to blame me for the accident, so I kept going.

Still can't decide if I owed either of them anything. Rationally, I don't think I do, but I still feel a bit guilty. On the other hand, I have compelling evidence that women check me out when I'm riding, so there you go.

In other news, the very next day I went in to get a dental implant, only to have the oral surgeon tell me that (a) my sinus has a 5mm hole in it that never healed (apparently torn by the abscess last fall) and that (b) the abscess had eaten away too much bone.

So, instead of an implant, I have a mouth full of the powdered bones of some dead guy and a lot more stitches than you'd think one tooth socket would need. He even stitched closed the sinus - leaving me truly worried about how he intends to remove those stitches without re-cutting the gums that are also stitched closed....
< Mary, Mary, quite contrary | You know you want what's on my mind >
So, I caused an auto accident the other day. | 14 comments (14 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Your sinus problems by anonimouse (4.00 / 3) #1 Wed Apr 24, 2013 at 10:17:43 AM EST
..are obviously caused by snorting Coke. Drink it in liquid form like everyone else.

Girls come and go but a mortgage is for 25 years -- JtL
But it makes the girls giggle! by ObviousTroll (2.00 / 0) #2 Wed Apr 24, 2013 at 10:39:27 AM EST
And, you know, anything that gets attention from the ladies....

An Angry and Flatulent Pig, Trying to Tie Balloon Animals
People need to learn to drive despite distractions by georgeha (4.00 / 4) #3 Wed Apr 24, 2013 at 11:00:18 AM EST
I live near the part of the city that all the young trendy sorts who just got their first career type job want to live in. It's getting warmer out too, so it's very common to see those young career women still trying to keep their college shape by wearing tight and or tiny clothing and running up and down the sidewalks.

Now, being so distracted by one that I cause an accident and name her as the cause in the lawsuit might make for a teen comedy, but I real life I just have to focus on all the other idiot drivers who aren't paying attention and are trying to kill me.

bikes are a menace. by the mariner (2.00 / 0) #4 Wed Apr 24, 2013 at 03:47:59 PM EST
they disrupt the flow of traffic. they distract and infuriate drivers. their drivers wear bizarre, socially unacceptable clothing. they ought to be confined to specialized trails and cyclist parks where they can no longer impose their deviant ways on the rest of the citizenry.

I can see a sidewalk exception though by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #5 Wed Apr 24, 2013 at 04:01:36 PM EST
to get from bike trail to bike trail.

No, won't work. by ObviousTroll (2.00 / 0) #6 Wed Apr 24, 2013 at 04:07:13 PM EST
If they're on the sidewalks they'll interfere with drivers trying to pull in or out of driveways.

An Angry and Flatulent Pig, Trying to Tie Balloon Animals
indeed. by the mariner (2.00 / 0) #7 Wed Apr 24, 2013 at 05:47:47 PM EST
also, they may be seen by impressionable children in their lady godiva-esque finery. maybe some kind of fencing or opaque enclosure could be added to sidewalks connecting trails.

You know... by jw32767 (2.00 / 0) #8 Wed Apr 24, 2013 at 06:22:27 PM EST
I figured I'd try this line of approach and given I'd been gone for 9 years it might have actually been successful.  I'm kinda disappointed.

Sounds like by Herring (4.00 / 2) #9 Wed Apr 24, 2013 at 06:56:28 PM EST
you rode in an exemplary, safe and considerate fashion. Blame to be shared between the oncoming car (who wasn't concentrating) and the car who pulled out (who, presumably, didn't have right of way). Follow the rules of the road, don't be a dick and the world will be a nicer place. Plus you get to laugh at people who fuck up like that.

christ, we're all old now - StackyMcRacky
won't they just disolve? by dev trash (2.00 / 0) #10 Wed Apr 24, 2013 at 09:18:38 PM EST

I DON'T CARE ABOUT YOUR BALLS! ->clock
Nope. I asked by ObviousTroll (2.00 / 0) #13 Thu Apr 25, 2013 at 11:35:23 AM EST
They're the silk kind. I suspect it's because dissolving ones only last a few days and he wants these left in for 2 weeks.

An Angry and Flatulent Pig, Trying to Tie Balloon Animals
See? This would never have happened by yicky yacky (4.00 / 1) #11 Thu Apr 25, 2013 at 10:21:17 AM EST

if you lot drove on the correct side of the rode.

----
Vacuity abhors a vacuum.
Freud. You motherfuc ... ah. [nt] by yicky yacky (2.00 / 0) #12 Thu Apr 25, 2013 at 10:24:10 AM EST

----
Vacuity abhors a vacuum.
Well, I'm glad you came out of it without ... by lm (4.00 / 1) #14 Thu Apr 25, 2013 at 07:23:46 PM EST
... getting squashed.

I don't think that anything I could say could sway your feelings of guilt or non-guilt one way or the other.

But I'm glad you didn't get squashed.

Cicero, The Republic