Print Story In a velvet mantle, he takes the oath
By jw32767 (Sat Apr 20, 2013 at 08:47:12 AM EST) Is this thing on?, 9 years, Holy Shit (all tags)
Imagine my surprise to come back after 9 years and still see a bunch of names I recognize.

Going back and reading my last few diary entries brought back a lot of memories that I had no idea were even gone.  It also makes me feel really, really old.  It's hard to believe I've had an internet presence for over a decade.  Seems like just a little while ago that I was first attaching to my new Pentium to the college network and getting on usenet.

Too much has happened since I last made a diary, so I'll just stick to the highlights
  • Met a nice lady
  • Moved to Vermont
  • Got Married
  • Got stuck in a dead end job
  • Found out I don't have a Dread Disease, but merely a easily treatable one (fuck Maine doctors).
  • Bought a house (notice the lack of smarts here re: dead end job)
  • Found a much better job
So how has everyone else been fairing?

< okay, so two guys walk into a hardware store | Weekend Update >
In a velvet mantle, he takes the oath | 14 comments (14 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Pretty much the same as nine years ago <n/t> by jimgon (4.00 / 1) #1 Sat Apr 20, 2013 at 09:03:27 AM EST

---------------
The more things change... by ana (4.00 / 1) #2 Sun Apr 21, 2013 at 09:04:21 PM EST
the more they stay the same. Couple hundred diaries later, I'm back, more or less, to where I was a decade ago.

There is a certain kind of beauty in that by jw32767 (2.00 / 0) #5 Mon Apr 22, 2013 at 09:40:52 AM EST
It's sort of like a decade long excursion.

Older and fatter by ucblockhead (4.00 / 3) #3 Sun Apr 21, 2013 at 10:13:14 PM EST
And now in management.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
Amazing how that works by jw32767 (2.00 / 0) #4 Mon Apr 22, 2013 at 09:38:19 AM EST
How is management treating you?  I'm about to hit that fork in my career path.   I really do enjoy the "lead" parts of being a team lead but I'm not sure if I want to/am going to be able to keep pouring in the effort to stay current on technology.

management by ucblockhead (4.00 / 2) #8 Mon Apr 22, 2013 at 10:13:30 AM EST
Some good/some bad/more money.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
Maine to VT ? by sasquatchan (4.00 / 2) #6 Mon Apr 22, 2013 at 09:57:47 AM EST
Rusty ?

He made that move too? by jw32767 (2.00 / 0) #9 Mon Apr 22, 2013 at 04:40:03 PM EST
I guess I'll need to hunt him down for stealing my bit.

Older, thinner, still working. by wiredog (4.00 / 1) #7 Mon Apr 22, 2013 at 09:59:24 AM EST
Thinner thanks to the bicycle. BTW, bicycling is the new geekery hereabouts.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Fat man on little bicycle... by jw32767 (2.00 / 0) #10 Mon Apr 22, 2013 at 04:40:47 PM EST
I'm not really thinking that'll work out so well for me.

Just yesterday I saw a fat guy on a bicycle. by wiredog (4.00 / 1) #11 Tue Apr 23, 2013 at 07:37:40 AM EST
He was probably in the 250 pound, or more, range. Riding hard.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

I didn't realize by ObviousTroll (4.00 / 2) #13 Wed Apr 24, 2013 at 11:19:15 AM EST
that you'd been stalking me on my work commutes!

An Angry and Flatulent Pig, Trying to Tie Balloon Animals
9 year summary by lm (4.00 / 1) #12 Tue Apr 23, 2013 at 08:59:56 AM EST
Quit my job to finish my BA, then got stuck in IT one again. Quit that job to move from Ohio to DCia to start work on my MA. Am currently stuck in IT again and struggling to finish my thesis.

One sprog is now halfway through college, planning to study abroad in the fall. The other is halfway through high school, going to Nepal this summer on scholarship to study comparative religion.

Cicero, The Republic
One of kids is in college by jw32767 (2.00 / 0) #14 Wed Apr 24, 2013 at 06:20:00 PM EST
Holy crap does time fly.

Seems like IT is some sort of strange attractor.  Keep permutating and you keep coming back to it.