Print Story They're ruining Cat Stark
Films
By gzt (Wed Apr 10, 2013 at 08:41:27 PM EST) gzt, proctor (all tags)
and Robb's marriage, too. And any scene with Tyrion. But that's all I'll say, since some people might not be caught up on the show.

There's some indication, by the way, that the Game of Thrones universe might have undergone some Fomenko-style New Chronology, which makes some kind of sense. There has also been a long intellectual war between those who want to be like the real world and move toward, like, technology and those who prefer magical technology, and this conflict actually works to suppress normal technology because magic actually works.

Uh, crap, gotta go proctor an exam. It's 8 o'clock pm. It's terrible.

< One is curious | Viewing on the LED screen tonight >
They're ruining Cat Stark | 31 comments (31 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
gotta agree. by the mariner (2.00 / 0) #1 Wed Apr 10, 2013 at 08:59:35 PM EST
i like cat stark too. i thought a storm of swords or whatever it was was pretty solid as the series goes, but it's starting to get to the dicey part.

re: tyrion, i'm not sure i see where they're going with shae. maybe i just don't remember the books as well as i think, but it feels like they've changed her in ways that will make it difficult down the road.

i'm a bit disappointed that, so far at least, it appears they've removed mr. popo. (i know, but i just couldn't help visualizing strong belwas that way after i read the description -- does this make me a racist? or was this martin's plan to trap the reader?)

I've only read the books by StackyMcRacky (2.00 / 0) #2 Wed Apr 10, 2013 at 09:30:54 PM EST
and I hate, Hate, HATE Cat Stark.  ugh.  blech, she needed to die in the first chapter of the first book.

if you hate her now... by gzt (2.00 / 0) #7 Wed Apr 10, 2013 at 11:50:13 PM EST
...she's somehow worse in the show!

i cna't imagine by StackyMcRacky (2.00 / 0) #14 Thu Apr 11, 2013 at 10:44:15 AM EST
how that is even possible!

Clue by anonimouse (2.00 / 0) #23 Fri Apr 12, 2013 at 05:45:45 AM EST
Brainzzzzzz

Girls come and go but a mortgage is for 25 years -- JtL
I started watching to shows. by dev trash (2.00 / 0) #3 Wed Apr 10, 2013 at 09:42:29 PM EST
But well....it just seems to move too fast and then wait he's dead?  An him?  Wait now that one's dead?

Who are the characters we're supposed to relate to and root for and hope they come out somewhere on top?  The Lannisters?  Bleh.

I DON'T CARE ABOUT YOUR BALLS! ->clock

"And now he's dead" by ucblockhead (4.00 / 3) #4 Wed Apr 10, 2013 at 10:15:57 PM EST
If main characters dying bothers you, this is the wrong series for you.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
way back on USENET by wumpus (2.00 / 0) #15 Thu Apr 11, 2013 at 12:50:22 PM EST
there was a claim that the last book would be nothing but snow blowing over everyone's graves.

Wumpus

I've stopped watching it. by dev trash (2.00 / 0) #17 Thu Apr 11, 2013 at 04:41:53 PM EST

I DON'T CARE ABOUT YOUR BALLS! ->clock
some of the lannisters are awesome, by the mariner (4.00 / 1) #5 Wed Apr 10, 2013 at 11:04:44 PM EST
namely tyrion and jaime. i don't see how you could dislike them. cersei, lancel, joffrey, maybe even tywin, sure, but those two are solid.

oh I like Tyrion by dev trash (2.00 / 0) #18 Thu Apr 11, 2013 at 04:45:41 PM EST
But Jaime tried to kill someone because he was caught bangin his sister.

I DON'T CARE ABOUT YOUR BALLS! ->clock
this is where literature helps us build empathy. by the mariner (4.00 / 2) #20 Thu Apr 11, 2013 at 06:17:46 PM EST
what would you do if someone caught you banging your sister? to my mind, it was a measured and pragmatic response to an unfortunate situation.

you have to remember, too, that this guy has had a traumatic life, being the guy guarding the door while the crazy king burns people alive, etc.

Robb by gzt (2.00 / 0) #6 Wed Apr 10, 2013 at 11:49:39 PM EST

Jon Snow, Arya, and Daenerys by marvin (4.00 / 1) #8 Thu Apr 11, 2013 at 12:04:55 AM EST
I have no idea how HBO portrays those three in the series. I haven't read Dance with Dragons yet, but they're the only three I care about seeing alive by the end.

George R.R. Martin is going to croak long before he ever ties up the loose ends and finishes the series. Every year thence, a legion of fans will visit the cemetery in which he is lain to rest, in order to piss on his grave.

I haven't read Game of Thrones yet by Captain Tenille (2.00 / 0) #16 Thu Apr 11, 2013 at 03:10:54 PM EST
But it would kind of suck if he pulls a Robert Jordan and up and dies before finishing it. Hopefully GoT has less in the way of hundreds of pages where nothing really happens.

---------

/* You are not expected to understand this. */

it does by StackyMcRacky (4.00 / 2) #27 Fri Apr 12, 2013 at 10:49:40 AM EST
the last couple of books have been pretty worthless.

So sad to have to rate this 4 by darkbrown (2.00 / 0) #31 Mon Apr 15, 2013 at 04:44:57 AM EST

I had the same worry with King by dev trash (2.00 / 0) #19 Thu Apr 11, 2013 at 04:52:07 PM EST
When he was writing way too much other stuff to finish up the Dark Tower.

I guess I'm trying to figure out who the real main characters are here.  Sure the King looked to be a prime target for killing off, but why have Ned Stark survive one and then two attempts and then oh hey treason lop the head off.

your three seem like prime candidates for surviving.

I DON'T CARE ABOUT YOUR BALLS! ->clock

(Comment Deleted) by ks1178 (2.00 / 0) #21 Fri Apr 12, 2013 at 05:15:57 AM EST

This comment has been deleted by ks1178

In the case of Ned by ks1178 (2.00 / 0) #22 Fri Apr 12, 2013 at 05:19:55 AM EST
>> why have Ned Stark survive one and then two attempts and then oh hey treason lop the head off.

I think that's part of what the beauty was. If you came to the story completely cold, and especially 17 years ago, you expected him to make it past the first 2 almost deaths. And fully expected him to make it past the treason charge some how as that's how these things play out, and so far Martin is following the accepted pattern.

And then, at the last minute Geoffrey changes his mind, and it's off with his head. It took me by total suprise, and as a literary device, it did it's job, I was upset, confused, a little angry.

Like you had pointed out, he'd already killed off Robert, but he was a minor character, not one of the main characters, which at least in previous stories where off limits from killing (or waiting till the very, very end to die in a meaningful way).

On the otherhand, killing characters is more common now, so I could fully understand how you could see it as confusing coming at it from today.

As to who the main characters in a Song of Ice and Fire, I would argue that it's all of the POV characters. But be prepared for main characters to change over novels, and for some of them to die.

Now on the other hand if you realy want to narrow it down to of the "main" characters which are the most important, I could make arguments primarily for 2 of them. But I wouldn't want to go into with someone unless they're upto date with the novels, as there would be some potential spoilers in crossing people out. I also howver fully expect at least 1 if not both of the people that I currently consider the primary characters to die before the end of the story.

I won't be reading the novels any time soon. by dev trash (2.00 / 0) #30 Fri Apr 12, 2013 at 08:48:33 PM EST
As series like that, I wait til it's done ( though King did add another small bit after he finished the Dark Tower)

I DON'T CARE ABOUT YOUR BALLS! ->clock
i would add tyrion, sansa, and bran to that list. by the mariner (2.00 / 0) #28 Fri Apr 12, 2013 at 12:22:40 PM EST
it may happen that the importance of tyrion declines in future books (if any) but i kind of doubt it. sansa and bran's storylines have been slow to develop but it seems to me they will be central to the remaining books.

Sansa is Arya's sister? by marvin (2.00 / 0) #29 Fri Apr 12, 2013 at 05:28:44 PM EST
Unless she developed into a worthwhile character in Dance with Dragons, wouldn't miss her. I don't really dig vapid, shallow, clueless, useless and helpless chicks. ymmv.

Haven't watched the shows by kwsNI (2.00 / 0) #10 Thu Apr 11, 2013 at 08:23:04 AM EST
But one thing you'll either love or hate is that many characters are going to die.  There was a photo going around shortly after the season started that was the book's cover with the title changed to "Don't get attached".

I think the great thing about it is that the suspense builds up so much greater.  You watch a typical action movie and the hero is going to get beat up and broken to the point they're almost dead and then they come back and kick some ass - it's so cliched that there's no tension, you know they're not really going to die.  Game of Thrones changed that - a couple nice guys lose their heads and suddenly you really don't have a clue how the fights  are going to end - every battle, every conversation has you worried.

Speaking from the book's - Martin does a great job of character development too.  The lines between hero and villain are blurred, you want to hate someone for one action, then you cheer them on in another aspect (especially true of the Lannisters - Chaotic Neutral seems to run in that family).

You can't just say stuff like that and stop by darkbrown (2.00 / 0) #9 Thu Apr 11, 2013 at 04:22:12 AM EST
"There's some indication, by the way, that the Game of Thrones universe might have undergone some Fomenko-style New Chronology, which makes some kind of sense." WUT?

fomenko by gzt (2.00 / 0) #11 Thu Apr 11, 2013 at 09:36:25 AM EST
For those reading the diary who don't want to wikipedia it, Fomenko's New Chronology was a discredited and thoroughly incorrect notion that historical records duplicated eras and otherwise padded out distance to real events. So, for instance, perhaps Constantine the Great was only 1200 years ago instead of 1700. This is perhaps transparently so when looking at things like the Genesis narrative - this guy lived 937 years, this one 863, this one 365. But Fomenko thought this sort of thing continued up to the Middle Ages.

There have been a few hints in the last few books that the Citadel's history is not objective history but a curated narrative and that some of the events of the distant past may not be that far distant. Part of the reason they want the past to be more distant is that they want to industrialize, as it were, and get out of the whole "magic" business. So the Children of the Forest, the Others, that stuff was a long time ago and didn't happen anyway, and all the dragons are dead and we can't cast any spells and we're destroying all knowledge of the dragons. The people North of the Wall also give indications that not only is the South's history wrong, but that some things (like the building of the Wall) were perhaps closer in time as well.

Oh OK by darkbrown (2.00 / 0) #12 Thu Apr 11, 2013 at 09:40:33 AM EST
Yeah, I don't trust the Maesters of the citadel, I like it, I'll pay proper attention next time I re-read it. I thought you were saying more recent stuff like the Targaryen history (post kings landing) was funny, and that made my head hurt.

oh, no by gzt (2.00 / 0) #13 Thu Apr 11, 2013 at 09:48:35 AM EST
I think that's pretty well set.

Am I the only person in the West by lm (2.00 / 0) #24 Fri Apr 12, 2013 at 06:03:05 AM EST
... that neither read the Game of Thrones books nor watches the series?

Cicero, The Republic
Yes by anonimouse (2.00 / 0) #26 Fri Apr 12, 2013 at 10:32:30 AM EST
en-tea

Girls come and go but a mortgage is for 25 years -- JtL
I don't watch the show by jimgon (2.00 / 0) #25 Fri Apr 12, 2013 at 07:43:29 AM EST
I watched the first season, then read the books.  I hated the books and won't go back to the series.

---------------