Print Story Adventure Time
Boredom
By gzt (Wed Mar 06, 2013 at 10:37:06 PM EST) gzt, statistics, picking up heavy things, rand paul, alain delon (all tags)
We've been watching a little bit of Adventure Time. It's fantastic. It's all about imagination and fun and pals. Great for kids, but intelligent enough for adults. You all should watch all of it. I'm amazed it took me this long to start watching.

Rand Paul is being interesting. This sort of thing should be non-partisan, but few Dems talk about it now and few Republicans talked about it during the Bush era. Heck, few enough Dems talk about it now and few enough Republicans talked about it during Bush. I have a fair bit of respect for him for doing this, frankly. Somewhat relevant is the recent ACLU piece on the militarization of police: http://www.aclu.org/criminal-law-reform/militarization-policing-america

And more about the prison-industrial complex. It's really getting quite horrible.

We watched Melville's Un Flic on Sunday. The previous week, we watched Le Cercle Rouge. I like Melville. And Alain Delon. Very cool.

Picking up heavy things is going okay. I'm mostly just going in, getting out quick, hanging out at the weight I'm at now, not pushing it. The last week and a half I've not been trying to lose weight, really, for whatever reason, just holding steady. Pullups are coming along.

Had tests last week. Blah. Made some stupid mistakes.

I don't really have much else, I don't think about much besides statistics, politics, television, and picking up heavy things these days.

< Hmm | good people >
Adventure Time | 13 comments (13 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
update: rubio kind of blows by gzt (2.00 / 0) #1 Wed Mar 06, 2013 at 11:18:51 PM EST
cruz is kind of mesmerizing in his reagan-quoting goldwater-approving way.

but rubio just brought up a good question: what would be going on in the senate today if this were bush?

did the senator from south dakota... by gzt (2.00 / 0) #2 Wed Mar 06, 2013 at 11:38:23 PM EST
...just name-drop CALHOUN?! nullification and secession Calhoun? the guy whose theories about states rights led quite directly to the civil war (which, I suppose, violently rebutted Calhoun's ideas)?

maybe i'm too much of a yankee, but when i hear people mention names like Calhoun, I can only think of them as dangerous crackpots who want to take the country down a thoroughly and violently discredited path. that way doesn't work and is wrong.

ditto goldwater: thoroughly discredited, as he lost quite vigorously - different from calhoun, of course, since there wasn't a war. i mean, what good would it do for me to refer to dukakis?

i liked the cruz questions to holder. by the mariner (4.00 / 1) #4 Thu Mar 07, 2013 at 01:21:53 AM EST
it would've been nice if republicans cared about this kind of shit during the bush administration, but it's still good someone's asking questions like "is it the justice department's position that it is constitutional to kill a us citizen on american soil that does not pose an immediate threat to anyone?"

glimpses of what a worthwhile republican party might look like.

That depends upon by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #7 Thu Mar 07, 2013 at 10:05:52 AM EST
if the soil is contaminated with lead, or cadmium, for a long-term hazard. If it had high levels of dioxin, then it could be considered an immediate threat. Same if it developed sinkholes.

a chilling view of contemporary racism. by the mariner (2.00 / 0) #10 Thu Mar 07, 2013 at 04:20:09 PM EST
i don't think i need to tell you that it's urban areas that most often suffer from heavy metal contamination, especially lead. i'm not surprised that you consider it constitutional in some circumstances (e.g. when they're in a cafe having some coffee) for the federal government to kill american citizens in such areas without trial or due process, but it's still uncomfortable to have it out in the open like this, in black and white.

Government. by dmg (2.00 / 0) #11 Thu Mar 07, 2013 at 08:16:06 PM EST
Do you think the fact that they are not allowed to do something would ever stop them from doing it?
dmg - HuSi's most dimwitted overprivileged user.
Politics by TheophileEscargot (4.00 / 1) #3 Thu Mar 07, 2013 at 12:54:00 AM EST
I recently saw a reference to the idea that government was invented to protect property, attributed to Panaetius, cited in Cicero. (On Duties 2.73, Panaetius fr. 118)
Communities and governments were founded above all for the preservation of private property. For although men banded together under nature's guidance, it was in the hope of safeguarding their possessions that they sought the protection of cities

cool cool cool by gzt (2.00 / 0) #8 Thu Mar 07, 2013 at 02:00:54 PM EST
I'll check it out later

Adventure Time with Rand Paul by jimgon (4.00 / 1) #5 Thu Mar 07, 2013 at 06:42:05 AM EST
I do watch Adventure Time occassionally.  And yes it is pretty good.

I like Rand Paul's positions on personal privacy, but don't much care for the "everyone is on their own" aspect.  My libertarian streak only extends so far.  I believe there is a role for both regulation and a social safety net.

---------------
Adventure Time: by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #6 Thu Mar 07, 2013 at 09:20:07 AM EST
I'm annoyed by their dvd release "plan." Season 5 is airing and S.2 won't be released until June? Also don't like the mis-ordered dvd collections they've released. Way to get me to buy it twice, bungholes.

yeah, it's lame by gzt (2.00 / 0) #9 Thu Mar 07, 2013 at 03:49:30 PM EST
most shows are pretty lame about dvd releases. i find it confusing, too, because it's a great way for them to get revenue. it's not like they're going to syndicate on TBS or something and i don't think they'll get more money from adverts on reruns on their own network than from DVDs. or something. IDK.

It's gonna be weird in syndication by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #12 Fri Mar 08, 2013 at 12:09:19 AM EST
due to the brevity of the episodes.

Everyone by flowergrrl (2.00 / 0) #13 Tue Mar 19, 2013 at 03:03:35 PM EST
In my household loves Adventure Time! :)

Adventure Time | 13 comments (13 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback