Print Story Hmm
Cheese
By anonimouse (Wed Mar 06, 2013 at 10:11:25 AM EST) (all tags)
Just found out the house I grew up in is on the market for...

£695,000 ($1,050,000).

< I make no promises. | Adventure Time >
Hmm | 10 comments (10 topical, 0 hidden)
(Comment Deleted) by ObviousTroll (2.00 / 0) #2 Wed Mar 06, 2013 at 02:16:36 PM EST

This comment has been deleted by ObviousTroll

Bad phrasing by ObviousTroll (2.00 / 0) #3 Wed Mar 06, 2013 at 02:19:13 PM EST
I'd forgotten that HUSI doesn't let you edit posts.

Saying that the UK deliberately does not build enough houses startled me a bit. In the US, the government is usually quite ineffective at slowing down development.

An Angry and Flatulent Pig, Trying to Tie Balloon Animals
Lack of land by jump the ladder (2.00 / 0) #4 Wed Mar 06, 2013 at 06:48:05 PM EST
And very strict planning laws. The current govt would like to change  the laws but there would be a huge outcry by the sort of people that vote Conservative in areas surrounding London where the most of the development would take place.

in line with JtL by bobdole (2.00 / 0) #5 Wed Mar 06, 2013 at 07:12:54 PM EST
the uk has 7-8 times the population density of the us

Granted most Americans live in (sub)urban areas, but still...
-- The revolution will not be televised.

high house prices are a "good thing" by jimgon (2.00 / 0) #6 Wed Mar 06, 2013 at 07:45:56 PM EST

I'm in the US, but as a mortgage debtor I would be in favor of high house prices.  Especially since my house is now worth considerably less than my note.

---------------
not necessarily a good thing for the individual by bobdole (4.00 / 0) #9 Thu Mar 07, 2013 at 02:39:08 AM EST
high prices (and the implication that they are also constantly rising) doesn't really benefit the individual. Most people tend to buy and sell in the same market. So yes, you will get a good price for your house, but you will have to pay an arm and a leg for your next house, too.

The only institutions that benefit are the banks/lenders and what ever taxes your local government can scrape from the deal.
-- The revolution will not be televised.

Renting is better by jimgon (2.00 / 0) #10 Thu Mar 07, 2013 at 06:35:59 AM EST
You don't get the savings aspect of home ownership, but you don't have the maintenance costs or the taxes. And it's only an investment when the prices are rising since investment would indicate a return and not simply using a piece of a payment to increase equity that would be returned in a sale (assuming the sale price is higher than the note payoff value).  In the long term real estate may be an investment, but in the long term we're all dead.

---------------
I suppose it depends on local taxation by bobdole (2.00 / 0) #11 Thu Mar 07, 2013 at 10:30:12 AM EST
Where I live, there are also tax deductions for various home-related expenses (most notably interest paid), the debt I owe to the bank for the apartment also makes sure my net worth is negative (and hence saves me more in taxes).

The net result is that for me the cost of renting something similar to what I'm now paying the bank for is pretty much equivalent in terms of monthly costs (after taxes).

In the long term maintenance and taxes are likely to increase - but for now I would be losing money if I rented (assuming I can sell it for roughly equal to what I paid). The last place I rented charged pretty much the same as what I pay on my mortgage now.
-- The revolution will not be televised.

Renting means beige walls & carpet by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #13 Fri Mar 08, 2013 at 12:00:44 PM EST
and no security.

Security by jimgon (4.00 / 0) #14 Fri Mar 08, 2013 at 05:02:34 PM EST
No such thing in the 21st century for anyone without wealth.

---------------
Hmm | 10 comments (10 topical, 0 hidden)