Print Story Is satire now impossible?
Religion & Philosophy
By dmg (Mon Mar 04, 2013 at 12:46:24 PM EST) (all tags)
A Catholic friend shared this rather controversial link with me.

I read it, and for a second or two, I actually thought I was reading a real news article. Then I did a double take, and thought to myself 'no this is obviously satire', but then, I checked out the rest of the site, just to make sure.

There was a time when that story would have been so obviously satirical I would have simply read it, laughed at the plausibility, and moved on. But now thanks to the likes of the onion and other similar sites, I can no longer quickly differentiate between modern news, and satire.

I think I now understand all those vocal critics of adequacy.org who banged on ad nauseum about 'poisoning the well'.

Any other husi members found that satire is becoming more and more difficult to differentiate from what passes for genuine news  in the modern idiocratic world?

< Ana says I should indulge in the drunken dairy | "Put on your Fucking Cancer Boots and March!" >
Is satire now impossible? | 15 comments (15 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
does satire matter anymore? by the mariner (4.00 / 3) #1 Mon Mar 04, 2013 at 01:36:59 PM EST
in times like these when the main outlets of satire are little more than court minstrels bringing profit to their advertisers and parent companies, when the institutions of power are locked in their death march to oblivion, and the cold grip of the invisible hand tightens around the heart of our culture, to what purpose does the marginal commentator ply his wit and raise a voice against the vices of his age?

even as the viceroys of media and finance drain their vital fluids and their hopes, like the desiccated corpse of an animal, fly-blown and crumbling, are carried off as dust in the wind or sink into the earth, ten thousand anonymous readers cry out for blood -- the blood of the satirist -- that it might quicken them in their toil and torment, that they might be assured of their own simple decency.

why satire? why not join those resigned many, copulating in the graveyards, the stacks, the mausoleums of modernity, as when the end comes it will be the shotgun and not the bon mot that carries the day.

This MIT Ph.D thinks that satire matters by nathan (4.00 / 1) #7 Tue Mar 05, 2013 at 04:14:08 PM EST

Just look at the numbers she calculates for damages owed.

i'm afraid to say what my reaction to that is. by the mariner (2.00 / 0) #8 Tue Mar 05, 2013 at 04:52:54 PM EST

please note by nathan (4.00 / 1) #10 Tue Mar 05, 2013 at 05:59:24 PM EST
That her Ph.D is in econ. Do YOU have an MIT econ Ph.D? (IDK, maybe you do. I don't.)

in light of this thread, the missing hannah arendt by the mariner (2.00 / 0) #11 Wed Mar 06, 2013 at 07:35:52 AM EST
option in the poll seems even more glaring an omission.

We've definitely reached the point where by ObviousTroll (4.00 / 1) #2 Tue Mar 05, 2013 at 12:03:51 PM EST
any attempt by a politician to be light hearted, satirical or otherwise humorous will immediately be used against them - even if they weren't the ones who actually said it. ("I can see Russia from my house!")

An Angry and Flatulent Pig, Trying to Tie Balloon Animals
really? by the mariner (2.00 / 0) #3 Tue Mar 05, 2013 at 01:07:57 PM EST
you're defending sarah palin?

In that she shouldn't be blamed for something by ObviousTroll (4.00 / 2) #4 Tue Mar 05, 2013 at 01:50:03 PM EST
guess i should've read ALL of the newspapers. by the mariner (2.00 / 0) #6 Tue Mar 05, 2013 at 03:54:27 PM EST
i can't tell the difference anymore.

It isn't even the newspapers. by ObviousTroll (2.00 / 0) #12 Wed Mar 06, 2013 at 09:32:47 AM EST
One person doesn't get the joke, takes it seriously, repeats it on twitter, FB and everywhere else and a new myth is formed.

Add political operatives who deliberately leverage this mechanism for gain, and it goes into overdrive.

An Angry and Flatulent Pig, Trying to Tie Balloon Animals
i see, so you think the public perception of palin by the mariner (2.00 / 0) #13 Wed Mar 06, 2013 at 09:40:36 AM EST
as a backwoods, know-nothing political opportunist and media grifter is unfair?

You keep trying to put words in my mouth. by ObviousTroll (2.00 / 0) #14 Wed Mar 06, 2013 at 10:32:55 AM EST
i apologize. i haven't grasped your nuanced point. by the mariner (2.00 / 0) #15 Wed Mar 06, 2013 at 08:12:02 PM EST
i feel certain there was much for me to gain by a better appreciation of your perspective on this issue. i regret that we have reached this impasse without having achieved any mutual understanding.

I've tried to write satire by Alan Crowe (2.00 / 0) #5 Tue Mar 05, 2013 at 02:45:42 PM EST
but it didn't change anything.

Is that satire? by dmg (4.00 / 1) #9 Tue Mar 05, 2013 at 05:07:50 PM EST
Seems legit to me.
dmg - HuSi's most dimwitted overprivileged user.
Is satire now impossible? | 15 comments (15 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback