Print Story She's in!
Educashun
By georgeha (Fri Mar 29, 2013 at 11:26:56 AM EST) (all tags)
Next year's busing, or minivanning, has become much easier.

Eleven_year_old got her letter, she was accepted into School of the Arts for Visual Arts. She called me at work, screaming into the phone, then ran upstairs to email her friends, apparently her iPod has email.

There will be much rejoicing. She can go to the same school as sixteen_year_old for a year, and not the expeditionary school miles away in the rough part of town.

In other news, I exposed her to the second half of The Princess Bride last night. I figure if she wants to be a geek, she needs to learn geek culture.

Oh yeah, she wants to be a combination architect, engineer, artist and programmer.

< be excellent to each other | The journey of an April Fool >
She's in! | 19 comments (19 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
architect, engineer, artist and programmer by wiredog (4.00 / 1) #1 Fri Mar 29, 2013 at 11:51:18 AM EST
I know architect/engineers and artist/programmers, but no one who is triple or quadruple classed. Takes a long time to get the xp to level up if you do that.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

She's only 11 by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #2 Fri Mar 29, 2013 at 11:53:48 AM EST
There's still plenty of time to have her hopes and dreams smashed.

multiclassing is hard by aphrael (2.00 / 0) #3 Fri Mar 29, 2013 at 12:04:14 PM EST
and it's really difficult to find someone who wants to hire you to use your secondary class skills.
Well by kwsNI (2.00 / 0) #4 Fri Mar 29, 2013 at 12:39:50 PM EST
DnD references aside, I'd say architecture certainly can be artistic.

I dated an by bobdole (2.00 / 0) #10 Fri Mar 29, 2013 at 05:18:41 PM EST
architect/artist way back. Not doing that again. Not that I'm overly engineer/programming, but there's limits.
-- The revolution will not be televised.
Architecture is art & science TOGETHER. by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #13 Sat Mar 30, 2013 at 05:54:49 AM EST
It must seem like black sorcery to you, but it's true.

no no by bobdole (2.00 / 0) #14 Sat Mar 30, 2013 at 08:03:40 AM EST
I work with them medical people day in&out, which is pretty much art&science together as well. The problem was that it turned out that the sort of people that are attracted to drawing houses are a special breed... this has been reconfirmed when I then moved on to an architect daughter (and later sister, she just missed narrowly the family profession and went into literature).

I consider my self artsy, though in the musical sense, but architecture... man.
-- The revolution will not be televised.

there's a spectrum in architects by gzt (2.00 / 0) #16 Sun Mar 31, 2013 at 07:02:34 PM EST
there are the civil engineer architects and the art plus a very little bit of math architects.

admittedly by bobdole (2.00 / 0) #17 Sun Mar 31, 2013 at 08:27:07 PM EST
my experiences are one sided, from one within the normal (completely normal boring houses) to the extreme that was a civil architect (i.e. joint degree civil engineering with architecture) that later added on an additional m.a. in visual arts.

The latter is of course the one that skews my sample... she was "special", and still is from what I hear.
-- The revolution will not be televised.

Got her a Make subscription yet? by marvin (2.00 / 0) #5 Fri Mar 29, 2013 at 01:47:38 PM EST
Some neat Arduino stuff that benefits from at least three of the classes -  artist, engineer, and programmer.

Sixteen_year_old might appreciate it more by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #6 Fri Mar 29, 2013 at 01:50:04 PM EST
she's done a little soldering in AP Physics, and now wants to learn how to solder.

Impressive! by ObviousTroll (2.00 / 0) #7 Fri Mar 29, 2013 at 02:46:18 PM EST
Congratulations!

An Angry and Flatulent Pig, Trying to Tie Balloon Animals
We're glad by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #8 Fri Mar 29, 2013 at 02:51:26 PM EST
one kid said about half the kids auditioning didn't even have everything they needed. We're talking simple stuff like a drawing of their shoe.

Enough people audition that if you can't meet the simple requirements, you're probably not getting in.

Eleven_year_old didn't see that, but based on the first kid's report it did look good.

Well by yankeehack (4.00 / 1) #9 Fri Mar 29, 2013 at 03:43:23 PM EST
No matter what, it is all still good.
code is art so she's got that. by dev trash (2.00 / 0) #11 Fri Mar 29, 2013 at 06:59:04 PM EST

I DON'T CARE ABOUT YOUR BALLS! ->clock
lolwut? by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #12 Fri Mar 29, 2013 at 11:34:45 PM EST

Congrats by Scrymarch (2.00 / 0) #15 Sun Mar 31, 2013 at 09:23:52 AM EST
She can study digital humanities in ten years time.

Iambic Web Certified

expeditionary school by houser2112 (2.00 / 0) #18 Mon Apr 01, 2013 at 10:10:00 AM EST
Edison Tech?

No, Intergrated Arts and Technology by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #19 Mon Apr 01, 2013 at 11:53:12 AM EST
located on Norton in the Franklin building.

It's way out of the way for Mrs. Ha, sort of out of the way for me on the way to work, so SOTA works better.

I did like the teachers I met at IA&T, they seemed more motivated. But then, it's a newer school.

She's in! | 19 comments (19 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback