Print Story So, I had a dream last night where
By ObviousTroll (Fri Mar 22, 2013 at 12:30:51 PM EST) (all tags)
I was struggling to explain a potential security hole that existed in IBM mainframes of the 70s and 80s, but I couldn't remember the details.

And someone else in my dream explained it for me.

When I woke up all I could think of was (a) he was right and (b) how did he know?!?

In other news, I picked up a Rubik's Cube the other day to see if I still remember how to solve it.

The answer was yes; and I find my skill intriguing because, like the dream, I no longer have that knowledge in my conscious mind - if I'm relaxed and talking to you, I can solve the cube, but if I stop and try and remember the list of steps needed to swap two corners (for example) I become completely jammed up. One time I froze up so thoroughly it was days before I could finish doing it.

I'm not sure what that says about me, or knowledge, or expert systems, or neuroscience, but it's interesting.

< Oh how I envy American students. | Nobody thinks about the family of a henchman >
So, I had a dream last night where | 5 comments (5 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
I can still do the top two rows by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #1 Fri Mar 22, 2013 at 01:43:42 PM EST
of a Rubik's cube, I doubt I could finish one, even if I could engage my auto-pilot.

I still have my original, but I have to keep from Mrs. Ha and eleven_year_old, they'll try to peel off the labels.

You need to get one and show them by ObviousTroll (2.00 / 0) #2 Fri Mar 22, 2013 at 03:24:29 PM EST
 how to take it apart without taking the stickers off.

That's how I taught myself. Kept taking it apart, putting it back together so I could play with patterns

After a year, that cube was so sloppy pieces would fly out as I was turning it.

An Angry and Flatulent Pig, Trying to Tie Balloon Animals
Neatest cube project I've seen by lm (2.00 / 0) #3 Fri Mar 22, 2013 at 03:33:58 PM EST
Cut six photos the size of the Rubik's cube face into a grid of squares. Paste the photo squares onto the cube.

Cicero, The Republic
When the Cube was a new thing... by ana (2.00 / 0) #4 Fri Mar 22, 2013 at 03:49:07 PM EST
a friend of mine kept one in a basket on top of his television set, with a screwdriver. He would regularly dismantle it and reassemble it in 'solved' configuration, so he could try simple things with it.

Memories by jimgon (2.00 / 0) #5 Sat Mar 23, 2013 at 06:33:49 AM EST
Memories pathway have to be exercised to remain strong otherwise new pathways that do get exercised take precedence.  You start routing the pathways around the old memories, so they become harder to recall and getting the links together to firing to access them is harder.

---------------