Print Story I only use natural logarithms because they're better for you
Internet
By gzt (Wed Mar 20, 2013 at 11:11:44 AM EST) gzt, dick cheney, iran, iraq, lxde, c, pullups (all tags)
to what extent are our problems with iran a result of iraq?

I mean, we've had problems with Iran for a long time, so our aggression in the region in the last decade isn't the cause of our problems, but our willingness to intervene in the last decade can't be doing us any favors.

[EDIT] Also: a very interesting article about how regulation for banks works. http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/magazine/march_april_2013/features/he_who_makes_the_rules043315.php?page=all No comment, just very enlightening. Argh, lawyers.

Fox News is run by jerks: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JCakTroF88&feature=youtu.be&t=2m6s

She's right and he's wrong. He's also a racist, apparently?

David Frum has had some interesting reflections on the war recently.

Also, some input from the few Republicans who voted against the war: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/03/20/gop-iraq-war_n_2910618.html Jim Leach (R-Iowa) seems like a pretty bright guy. He also voted against the 2003 extension of the Bush tax cuts because it would be foolish to keep the tax cuts during a war. He was defeated in an upset in 2006 by a Democrat because his district was turning more Democratic and he alienated the social conservatives in his base - he refused to allow the Republicans to distribute leaflets he perceived as anti-gay and threatened to leave the Republican caucus if they did so. Nowadays he is probably seen as a RINO. He endorsed Obama, after all.

I'm on spring break. Wife's out of town. I've been doing a little bit of C stuff for math stuff. And dinking around a lot. A little bit of fiddling with emacs, too, to get more familiar.

I kind of like Cinnamon's "hot corner" thing that allows for that cool desktop-and-window-switching interface, but I've found that I really don't use it all that much anymore and I keep accidentally putting my mouse up there, so I'm experimenting with just using LXDE. One thing I notice missing is the nice "notification tray" from Cinnamon or maybe I just don't see it.

Commentary on male privilege: http://www.theonion.com/articles/slightly-upset-woman-declared-insane,341/

My elbows are complaining a little bit about all the pullups, so I'm backing off a little bit and taking ibuprofen this week. All my work is paying off, though. I can do 5 pullups now.

There isn't a church in town, we have to go about 30 miles. Next week, a bishop is visiting to see about starting a mission. I've met the guy a couple times, actually, before he was a bishop. I don't know if there are enough people here to support a priest, but, hey, it'd be nice if there were.

Reminder on why we hate Dick Cheney: http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2011/08/remembering-why-americans-loathe-dick-cheney/244306/

Apparently next week the statistics department is having a booth at Science Night at the elementary school I grew up in. Totally volunteering. I wonder if any of the teachers are still around, it's been a long time. Wait, I can just look it up. There are a couple familiar names, nobody I had. One I think was a baseball coach I had when I was in jr high.

On the other hand, Saddam gassed his own people, Iraqi people demand freedom, ceterum censeo Iraq delenda est.

< A bird in the hand | March 20th 7:02 a.m. First Day of Spring >
I only use natural logarithms because they're better for you | 14 comments (14 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
And some pretty good David Frum bashing by gzt (2.00 / 0) #1 Wed Mar 20, 2013 at 05:18:35 PM EST

there are no racists on fox news. by the mariner (1.00 / 1) #2 Wed Mar 20, 2013 at 06:11:29 PM EST
have you ever seen them lynch anyone on fox news? no, not once. they even have black people on sometimes. hardly the apartheid network the liberals make it out to be.

re: the onion article, if only it were that easy...

i disagree, they are ALL racists by nathan (2.00 / 0) #4 Thu Mar 21, 2013 at 07:33:09 AM EST
As are virtually all of their viewers. Don't kid yourself -- they only behave (insofar as they behave) because the federal government currently has military superiority.

whether they're racists or not, by the mariner (2.00 / 0) #5 Thu Mar 21, 2013 at 02:17:54 PM EST
discussion of such trivial matters is only a distraction from the more important issues of the day, e.g. whether members of christian communities ought to be allowed to have religious cheerleading in football games at the local public schools.

as far as i'm concerned, it doesn't matter how conservative media outlets mobilize support for their candidates, as long as they keep the real issues front and center.

your indifference to the pervasive, malicious by nathan (2.00 / 0) #6 Thu Mar 21, 2013 at 03:12:47 PM EST
racism of Faux News and virtually all of its viewers is hereby noted. White privilege means never having to notice that Faux News hates you.

your new left rhetoric is noted. by the mariner (4.00 / 1) #7 Thu Mar 21, 2013 at 11:32:10 PM EST
for all your talk about racism, you have yet to provide an example of fox news or its viewers hanging or otherwise engaging in violence directed toward blacks -- at least, not in the time fox news existed, as i don't doubt one or two people who'd been involved in such racism in past decades now watch fox news. it's number one in cable news.

all this over-heated talk only serves to justify the democrats' pick-pocketing agenda. decent suburban folk (some of them black, i might add!) are taxed at oppressive rates to subsidize the poor lifestyle choices of single mothers in the ghetto and their children. in the face of our generous provision of services to the undeserving many, leftivists like yourself bandy about accusations of racism and indifference, with nary a word of how all this taxation and regulation affects the working man trying to make a living.

some folks are born hammer and sickle in hand,
ooh, they want to help the poor!
but when you ask them how much should we give
they only ask for more, more, more!

it ain't me! it ain't me!
i ain't no activist's son, no.

no violence directed toward blacks? by nathan (2.00 / 0) #9 Fri Mar 22, 2013 at 10:40:41 AM EST

What station do you think cops typically watch? Maybe they're all big fans of PBS... lolno, are you kidding? They're basically a legalized racist paramilitary and every educated person should be deeply suspicious of their activities and decisions, which serve first and foremost the cause of oppression.

As for "poor lifestyle choices", it sounds like you think that women belong in the kitchen, barefoot, pregnant and chained to the stove. "Ha ha, no, they can wear shoes!" (That's a typical Fox anchor joke). The claim that a two-parent family in the best environment to bring children up in, apart from being unscholarly, historically naive and racist, is just a sly way of arguing that women must be kept dependent on men and using the legal system to subsidize the perpetuation of the dimwitted privileged classes' outdated, sexist prejudices.

cops don't watch fox news. by the mariner (2.00 / 0) #10 Fri Mar 22, 2013 at 05:22:51 PM EST
they're union thugs. fox news' freedom oriented message is antithetical to their collectivist agenda. just another example of how liberals are the real racists.

i don't have much to say to your full throated defense of welfare queens, terror babies, etc. i don't have any use for your scholarship and fancy reasoning. read your bible.

"i don't have much to say" by nathan (2.00 / 0) #11 Fri Mar 22, 2013 at 06:02:54 PM EST
Of course not. Right-wing racists are inarticulate because they are stupid and uneducated. They can't even muster "l'esprit de l'escalier" -- they're monoglots.

This explains the right's total failure to function in free and fair open media environments. They are flustered and humiliated and no wonder: even if their positions were defensible, which they aren't, they would be incapable of defending them. Almost everyone on the right is dumb, inept and (as it were) gauche.

If the only defense to your position is "I don't want society to do anything for n- uh, African-Americans," even a fascist would dimly recognize, perhaps belatedly, that this cannot be articulated in modern liberal society. Thus a bunch of unconvincing foofaraw about "States' rights" (except, apparently, for the right to recognize marriage equality), "limited government" (the Patriot Act), "budget discipline" (except for $1,000 wrenches, billions to Halliburton and trillions on useless foreign wars), when the real message is just obvious: "Kill, kill, kill the black man. Kill him until he is dead."

* drools * by the mariner (2.00 / 0) #13 Sat Mar 23, 2013 at 10:50:01 AM EST

You americans don't have any problems with Iran by dmg (4.00 / 1) #3 Wed Mar 20, 2013 at 08:01:42 PM EST
Your issues are predominantly with the EU, Russia and China.
They play themselves out by proxy in places like Iran, Libya and Korea.

dmg - HuSi's most dimwitted overprivileged user.
That is a good article on bank regs by Scrymarch (2.00 / 0) #8 Fri Mar 22, 2013 at 03:07:50 AM EST
As much as they might pay hardball externally the culture inside, from what I've seen, is of bunkering down and trying desperately to avoid getting pinged. If you look at bank hiring you will see a lot of audit and internal compliance as well as lobbyists and litigators.

Iambic Web Certified

Cheney by jimgon (2.00 / 0) #12 Fri Mar 22, 2013 at 06:51:33 PM EST
I don't need a reminder.  The man is pure evil and the world will be better when he is dead.

---------------
churches by garlic (2.00 / 0) #14 Sun Mar 24, 2013 at 05:20:26 PM EST
it's the season when I wonder why I haven't been able to find a church, so start checking some out. I went to the catholic one up the street from me today. In the bulletin, they list there last 18 month financials, showing that they've been in the red for that entire period of time. Oh, and they have a new building plan in the works. It seemed like a bad situation to be in.