Print Story OK, yall got me. May your gods help you now.
By h2odragon (Thu Feb 28, 2013 at 11:43:15 PM EST) (all tags)
I've hung out in the IRC channel for a year or so now, because I knew some of you from back when and that where you were now. I've avoided signing up here because I didn't want to piss in the cheerios. But now I've been convinced I should join, and well, here I be.

An introduction is in order.

My name is Mark. To anyone who hasn't seen me on IRC; or other fora, I'm a contrary, argumentative, vulgar asshole. I'm almost comfortable with this at this point, if anyone need apologies for that; sorry, consider them offered. I'm 40 now, and too old to grow up.

To the people that do know me from IRC: I thank you all for helping me through a rough time after my father died last year. I hope I've been at the very least more amusing than annoying. If so, my presence has been a net win. Being able to rave and rant at you has been a great comfort and solace, if I could help likewise, or otherwise. please ask.

I used to haunt kuro5hin, and its IRC channel, and before that slashdot (even before they had user accounts) and prehistoric things like AOL, "Chicago Online", compu$erve and even Usenet (and FIDOnet and WWIVnet and lesser known and less savory store and forward networks). I was a Usenet poster before the great renaming, I used to be an addict of talker BBS's when such were hosted on commie 64 and amiga systems with RAM packs hand soldered from stacks of DIP chips by insane SysOps.

I suspect I'm not alone in that, here. It's a comfort, fellow geeks. Some people had their teenage years ruined by caustic cheerleaders, some had FOSSIL drivers and INT 8h handlers.

Aside from the computational and paleonetworking sins, I've been a deviant from whatever normals i saw as far back as i can remember. Somewhere around middle school they gave me a battery of tests and told me that I was "gifted", then said (with prompting) that I was a sociopath. I still maintain that was harsh; in that I hadn't actually hurt anyone, and it was pretty explosion.

From such foundations in asociality and an early interest in in internetworking, I conceived the idea of, and successfully pursued a career in Internet engineering and political activism, bringing them together by hosting varied efforts of crackpot political groups from my shambolic trailer in the deeper backwoods of rural TN. I kept several highly disliked sites online against widespread, clueful, dedicated opposition for a decade plus. I felt these people needed the help expressing their opinions even if they were unpopular; they certainly couldn't have afforded that help anywhere else.

I came to realize that my efforts convinced the people i was helping that "being on the internet" wasn't something to be valued (I wasn't charging enough), so I stopped, and they're no longer on the internet. Perhaps they were right after all.

Nowadays I live on the same patch of extremely rural TN, now raising a daughter (currently 5 years old) with my wife Marie, as well as the obligatory pack of too many dogs to protect us from the roving bands of coyotes, wild dogs, deer hunters, and bent locals. I officially, publically deny the existence of any experimental advanced weapons systems utilizing electromagnetoresonant techniques anywhere on this property, just in case the laws are reading along.

Thank you for inviting me into your community.

< There's no party | Do You Think I Meant Country Matters? >
OK, yall got me. May your gods help you now. | 24 comments (24 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Greetings! by ucblockhead (4.00 / 3) #1 Fri Mar 01, 2013 at 12:11:04 AM EST
Let me give you the traditional Husi newcomer greeting:

Hello, Egil!

I'm a contrary, argumentative, vulgar asshole.

Oh, wait, nevermind.  You're clearly one of us!
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman

wait, that's the traditional greeting? by aphrael (4.00 / 3) #5 Fri Mar 01, 2013 at 08:58:10 AM EST
I thought the traditional greeting was:

> oh no, another kuro5hin troll coming to fuck with us

Hi there! by hulver (4.00 / 3) #2 Fri Mar 01, 2013 at 05:45:23 AM EST
Wow, an actual new user!
Cheese is not a hat. - clock
How long has it been since that happened? by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #3 Fri Mar 01, 2013 at 07:59:17 AM EST

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

how many of ammo dave's exes count ? by sasquatchan (4.00 / 2) #6 Fri Mar 01, 2013 at 09:55:19 AM EST
sweetie and the like ?

Don't crowd around by jimgon (2.00 / 0) #16 Fri Mar 01, 2013 at 07:03:58 PM EST
You may scare him off.

---------------
It took you long enough! by me0w (4.00 / 2) #4 Fri Mar 01, 2013 at 08:42:20 AM EST

me0w! by dev trash (4.00 / 1) #12 Fri Mar 01, 2013 at 02:29:30 PM EST

I DON'T CARE ABOUT YOUR BALLS! ->clock
dev trash! by me0w (2.00 / 0) #18 Sat Mar 02, 2013 at 12:01:41 AM EST

Welcome! by technician (4.00 / 2) #7 Fri Mar 01, 2013 at 10:16:43 AM EST
I was beginning to think we'd start seeing natural attrition take the site down as we all aged and died.

You know what we need now are some husi-kids to become users.

*AHEM* Large parts of by yankeehack (4.00 / 3) #8 Fri Mar 01, 2013 at 10:57:39 AM EST
my writings need to be redacted for THAT to ever happen.
nonsense by infinitera (2.00 / 0) #9 Fri Mar 01, 2013 at 11:32:12 AM EST
Honesty with adult offspring (assuming you like them) is the best way to maintain a healthy relationship!

you're not taking into account the grown children by the mariner (2.00 / 0) #11 Fri Mar 01, 2013 at 11:37:58 AM EST
who resent their parents' refusal to lie to them about santa claus. it's a growing demographic since computer nerds briefly became upwardly mobile enough to attract wives in spite of, ya know.

I think my daughter has an account here by lm (2.00 / 0) #15 Fri Mar 01, 2013 at 06:50:02 PM EST
In one diary or the other I linked to a holiary and she figured out that she needed an account to read the hole.

I'm not sure how often she actually logs in. In her words, she only reads my diaries here to see what I say about her.

Cicero, The Republic
You know by kwsNI (2.00 / 0) #19 Sat Mar 02, 2013 at 12:54:44 PM EST
I always thought the premise behind "How I Met Your Mother" was a bit twisted...  Guess that'd be a pretty close second...

so far, by infinitera (4.00 / 1) #10 Fri Mar 01, 2013 at 11:33:25 AM EST
I have only contributed lurkers, of the same age.

Heh by Breaker (4.00 / 2) #13 Fri Mar 01, 2013 at 03:02:42 PM EST
I do wonder - in ten years time...

Is this the place our kids'll come to waste time on t'internets?

Maybe we should start bribing Lord Hulver to set up "hulverkids.com" to get our kids properly used to trolling and such...

guess we better start a therapy fund too. by the mariner (2.00 / 0) #20 Sat Mar 02, 2013 at 12:56:45 PM EST

Welcome, h2odragon by Breaker (4.00 / 1) #14 Fri Mar 01, 2013 at 03:04:13 PM EST
It's a bit like a pub, this place.

There's people you like talking to, people you like arguing with, and people you really try to avoid.

And Lord Hulver is the publican; his word is final.

and people you just keep missing in passing by aphrael (2.00 / 0) #17 Fri Mar 01, 2013 at 08:09:13 PM EST
Hi! I'm Cheeseburger Brown! by CheeseburgerBrown (4.00 / 1) #21 Sat Mar 02, 2013 at 06:55:10 PM EST
I like movies.
Science-fiction wallah, storytelling gorilla, man wearing a hat: Cheeseburger Brown.
You should by MrMole (2.00 / 0) #22 Sun Mar 03, 2013 at 06:09:54 PM EST
probably know if you don't already. That you aren't suppose to correspond with me.

welcome, I don't do IRC by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #23 Sun Mar 03, 2013 at 06:50:21 PM EST
apparently answering 13/f/Pakistan gets you kicked.

persistance pays by h2odragon (2.00 / 0) #24 Sun Mar 03, 2013 at 11:28:25 PM EST
you should try irc. its a much more spontenaoeus inanity than online fora offer.