Print Story There's no party
Games
By georgeha (Fri Feb 22, 2013 at 01:10:03 PM EST) Risk, single parents, Big Bang (all tags)
like a Risk party, except a Risk party with two Risk games going.

Plus, the trials of a temporary single parent, peer pressure kicks in, Brighton Beach Memoirs, Sex at Dawn, The Big Bang Theory, butterfingers, My So-Called Life and less in this quickly composed catchup diary.

Poll: Favorite game of Risk?

I was a single dad for seven days, it was rough. It was made even rougher by having my parents out of town, and dropping my debit card at the gas station.

Mrs. Ha's dad kept asking her to visit him, way out in Hemmet California. She wanted to go over April break, but her job needed her that week, because the dad was starting a new job. They didn't need her the last three weeks of February, because he was starting a new job. A look at the calendar (must be home by 2/21 due to sixth grade exhibition, kids are off from 2/18-20 or 22)) and southwest's site resulted in flying out early on the 13th and returning late on the 20th. From Buffalo, because southwest doesn't do Rochester yet.

So I scheduled a few days of vacation on the 13th and 20th, got the kids to school on the 13th, made it to Buffalo with about 15 minutes to spare and she was off.

We survived, it helped that they were off much of the week. The weekend was tough, as 16 year old was running the lightboard for her school's production of Brighton Beach Memoirs and had to be shuttled back and forth to school on Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday. We ended up seeing the Friday and Saturday productions (different casts), it was good. Throw in a trip to the mall Sunday morning with newspaper_girl, a trip to the library downtown for an art thing with 11_year_old's friend, then a trip back to the mall because newspaper_mom wasn't telepathic enough to realize she was supposed to pick up the girls and wasn't available for the return trip. To top it off, I dropped my debit card at the gas station that morning, the fraud department was kind enough to ask if I was draining my account at Walmart, or if it had been lost.

At the library I picked up Sex at Dawn, a book that I had been curious about. The author's thesis is that for 90% of humanity, we lived in small tribes that shared everything, and it was groovy. If we just get over our monogamous hangups and practice free love in commune type settings, it would be totally groovy.

In other media, 11_year_old has been struggling for a greater sense of self, and has decided to embrace her geekiness. To help with that, and based on her peers, she wanted to start watching The Big Bang Theory. I know, we're way late to that, but we're up to season four, as soon as I can find it in the public IP depository.

I like it, the stereotypes are rather broad, but we see some of Sheldon's mannerisms in 16 year old.

I tell her she's looking to be living in an age where geeks are well thought of, and if she really wants to become a geek, she should master Lego Mindstorms.

Speaking of 16_year_old, she's finally looking into college visits, prompted by newspaper_girl's nagging, and it being a topic at the upcoming mother-daughter book club. She's still not sure what she wants to major in, I was asking her what she prefers to do for homework, math or writing. She's going to be taking online assessments.

In other 16_year_old news, she was telling me sa_girl discovered a realistic teen drama on Netflix, My So-Called Life. I burst her bubble by telling her we had seen it when it first aired back in 1994. Mrs. Ha and I watched episode 4, the Grateful Dead one, before her trip. Since Angela Chase prematurely ended Althea I had to find one to listen to coming back from Buffalo, Dick's Picks 6 fit the bill. Next up she has to watch Freaks and Geeks , whose timeline overlaps with mine in high school.

So, Wednesday both girls were off and 11_year_old wanted to host a Risk party, inviting the members of the class's Risk club, and a few others. One of the boys from the Lego team had a gaming birthday party last month, and they discovered they loved playing Risk, with all sorts of alliances and such. Hence the Risk club, and the Risk party.

The Risk party went well, with two games being played, one to completion. Only three other kids showed up, all from the Lego team. One kid brought his copy, we had four. The sixth graders chose Risk: 2210 because mechs! and the moon! They didn't finish. There was also lots of junk food consumed and Nerf battles.

I think this is their third game of Risk, and like many games of Risk, they've never finished one.

The oldest chose Risk: Lord of the Rings which neither of us had played before, but it was good for two players. We figured out the rules, started applying them correctly halfway through when we realized we made a mistake, etc. It's nice in that it has an end, when the Fellowship moves out of the Dead Marshes on a 3 or higher on D6, unless you have a card.

I was losing near the end, so I gambled I could spoil enough regions and capture enough territories to maybe pull off a win, if I rolled 3+. I didn't, she came back and won 68 to 22. Points are scored by totalling territories, getting region bonuses and totalling fortresses.

Later that evening I headed out to Buffalo. Her flight back was delayed a half hour because a passenger was missing, the baggage carousels were malfunctioning, it was close to midnight before we got home. I was tired Thursday, I'm still tired today, and Mrs. Ha is still jet lagged. She also brought her Aunt back with her.

< All men are islands | OK, yall got me. May your gods help you now. >
There's no party | 24 comments (24 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Big Bang Theory by Vulch (4.00 / 1) #1 Fri Feb 22, 2013 at 02:21:01 PM EST
I grabbed the first couple of episodes back in the autumn, then grabbed some more while waiting for the S1-5 box set to turn up. I landed up watching it through twice by the end of November though series 6 seems to have gone off the boil a bit which is not unusual for colonial TV series due to their standard performer contracts...

I wish it was on Netflix by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #6 Fri Feb 22, 2013 at 05:40:04 PM EST
and we saw last night's episode, since House of Anubis wasn't on, and it was okay, with slightly worse IQ due to the atmosphere.

LO by yankeehack (4.00 / 1) #2 Fri Feb 22, 2013 at 02:29:17 PM EST
has gone through Big Bang and now is watching Freaks and Geeks and Skins UK http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skins_%28UK_TV_series%29
But MSCL is on Netflix by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #4 Fri Feb 22, 2013 at 05:37:10 PM EST
and it's set in PA.

I suppose it's a good sign that 16_year_old finds Angela mopey and depressing.

I like Freaks and Geeks better, but I was a D&D playing band dork when I attended high school in the early 80s.

Yup by yankeehack (4.00 / 1) #10 Fri Feb 22, 2013 at 07:04:05 PM EST
LO goes through my netflix account to get her shows too.

I didn't realize MSCL was based in western PA. When it came out originally, I was in college already and didn't pay that much attention.

That'e college by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #13 Fri Feb 22, 2013 at 07:18:56 PM EST
I had more interesting things to do in college than watch tv, and barely paid any attention to it. I hear Bill Cosby had had a show in the mid 80's.

Skins by dmg (4.00 / 1) #7 Fri Feb 22, 2013 at 06:46:55 PM EST
It's how the UK youth wish their lives were, but has little or no connection to what it is really like.

Having said that, its worth watching for Effie.
dmg - HuSi's most dimwitted overprivileged user.

LO by yankeehack (4.00 / 1) #9 Fri Feb 22, 2013 at 07:01:33 PM EST
is visiting the UK in June (I might be able to fly out to meet her) and is trying to get all read up on her compatriots.
Well, if she's using skins as a by dmg (4.00 / 1) #11 Fri Feb 22, 2013 at 07:04:42 PM EST
documentary, she's going to be sorely disappointed :-)
dmg - HuSi's most dimwitted overprivileged user.
A more accurate depiction by dmg (4.00 / 1) #15 Fri Feb 22, 2013 at 10:02:26 PM EST
Would be given by the Inbetweeners.
dmg - HuSi's most dimwitted overprivileged user.
I totally agree by ambrosen (4.00 / 2) #18 Sat Feb 23, 2013 at 06:45:56 AM EST
Also, whenever I spend time around teenagers, they call me Will. I take this pretty much as a complement.

Maybe the Young Ones, then? n/t by Captain Tenille (4.00 / 2) #19 Tue Feb 26, 2013 at 12:43:35 PM EST

---------

/* You are not expected to understand this. */

True Factoid: I have never lost a game of Risk by Phil the Canuck (4.00 / 1) #3 Fri Feb 22, 2013 at 04:33:49 PM EST
This caused a bit of a fight with the wife when my son pulled out his Transformers Risk board and I proceeded to demolish my kids.  Hey, I warned them beforehand and all they did was taunt me.

16 year old claims that too by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #5 Fri Feb 22, 2013 at 05:38:24 PM EST
but I think I've beaten her once or twice.

WIPO: I don't play Risk by dmg (2.00 / 1) #8 Fri Feb 22, 2013 at 06:51:18 PM EST
But I do own Steve Jackson games 'Illuminati'.

dmg - HuSi's most dimwitted overprivileged user.
I have Illuminati, and am undeafeated by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #12 Fri Feb 22, 2013 at 07:14:18 PM EST
I'm not sure if I'm 2-0 or 3-0, but I've won every time I recall posting.

I got as far as reading the rules... by dmg (4.00 / 1) #14 Fri Feb 22, 2013 at 10:00:39 PM EST
And gave up :-)
dmg - HuSi's most dimwitted overprivileged user.
Kids and their games by MartiniPhilosopher (4.00 / 1) #16 Sat Feb 23, 2013 at 12:59:10 AM EST
We've tried to get H in on some of the more mainstream box games but so far, she's resisted becoming a fan of any of them. All we can get her to play with us willingly is Monopoly. And usually the wife or I end up the winners (although I play down how much ahead I am -- the point is to bond, not to win).

True Factoid: by ammoniacal (4.00 / 1) #17 Sat Feb 23, 2013 at 03:06:26 AM EST
In the futuristic world of 2013, Aunt Flo can be banned from your household -- WITH SCIENCE.

Hmmmm.... by ObviousTroll (2.00 / 0) #20 Wed Feb 27, 2013 at 11:50:42 AM EST
I'm not sure I buy the premise for the sex book. Sure, you can point to bonobos as an example of a polyamorous great ape, but  the model of a dominant male trying to dominate the reproductive choices is also common. By that model, monogamy is a social tool to prevent angry young males from disrupting the village because they aren't getting any.

An Angry and Flatulent Pig, Trying to Tie Balloon Animals
It's tied up in property and shiny red asses by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #21 Wed Feb 27, 2013 at 11:56:30 AM EST
as in hunter gatherer bands have no property beyond which they can carry, and no ability to store a surplus of food.

Without that, it's harder to make a hierarchy.

Human females also disguise their fertile periods, so instead of the dominant male having to keep an eye on the 3-4 females who are ovulating, he has to keep an eye on the 20+ females who could be fertile.

I have heard of monogamy being explained that way.

Fair points by ObviousTroll (2.00 / 0) #22 Wed Feb 27, 2013 at 01:34:38 PM EST
 Although it hasn't stopped males from at least trying to do so in the past several thousand years, I really don't have the background knowledge to argue either way for the pre-farming eras.

An Angry and Flatulent Pig, Trying to Tie Balloon Animals
In the biography of a hunter-gatherer woman by wumpus (2.00 / 0) #23 Wed Feb 27, 2013 at 07:20:23 PM EST
I've read, there are certainly no bonobo type activity and things are more or less (serial)monogamous. It sounds like a pretty tough to claim most homo sapiens lacked monogamy in general. Claiming such for earlier genus homo species might be possible.

Wumpus

A bit more on Arstechnica by wumpus (2.00 / 0) #24 Fri Mar 01, 2013 at 12:42:52 PM EST
link

The arguments in the link could be used to claim our (at least the guys among us) bodies are adapted to more promiscuity (or at least grabbing the chance). This doesn't mean that the adaptations were for earlier species and left unchanged as homo sapiens changed. Also it isn't clear if this is all that different than more current situations, with a state of being officially monogamous but some grabbing the odd opportunity on the side. This type of thing is observable in birds (no you silly Brits, the little critters with wings) as well.

Wumpus