Print Story Can anything top the last episode of Freaks and Geeks?
Wizards and Hobbits
By georgeha (Tue Dec 03, 2013 at 01:10:14 PM EST) Freaks and Geeks, D&D (all tags)
No, from my perspective, it has two of my favorite activities from the 80's.

Plus, how 'bout that 50th anniversary episode, Thanksgiving wrap-up, college news and less.

Poll: Best intro module for D&D?

Twelve_year_old had a friend (art_girl)over a few weeks ago, and it got awkward after a few hours. This wasn't a surprise, they've known each other since kindergarten or elementary school, and they've never really clicked. But, she wanted to introduce twelve_year_old to Freaks and Geeks which soon hooked the entire family. Of course, Mrs. Ha and I saw it in the 90's, so we were already hooked.

The last episode reminded twelve_year_old that she's been itching to play D&D, so I dragged out my basic set and started looking for an easy introductory module to DM for her. Vote in my poll!

In other twelve_year_old news, no Lego Robotics this year, and the real robotics team has already started. There isn't on at her school, and we're not sure if she can get in at the one at the other decent public high school.

Seventeen_year_old continues her college admissions adventure. The first deadline was last week, she missed it. She's hoping her essay will be great enough to make up for mediocre grades and test scores and get her into Northeastern even though we can't pay for it. Apparently the plan is to have lots of friends and teachers read and critiquethe essay, and submit her app after the first deadline, with the revised essay tipping the scale for her. Teenagers.

We also did a visit to Penn State with my dad, it's third on her list. Again, her grades and test scores probably wouldn't get her admitted to the main campus, and it's doubtful we could afford it.

How about that 50th anniversary Who? I've only seen one other many doctor's episode, The Three Doctor's, and this was clearly better. An even sadder reflection of my fandom was that Night of the Doctor was my only viewing of McGann.

In other cult series news, Mrs. Ha and I are almost done with season 2 of Supernatural. I don't it would translate well to the UK, as there's less drama in the pair racing away from trouble by getting on the tube, and they'd have to carry huge suitcases to hold all their guns, weapons and disguises. It would probably work in Australia.

We hosted Thanksgiving, including my parents and my wife's sister, bil and their daughter. We will do it again, but it was exhausting and it took several days to clean up.

< Catalan Style Beef Stew with Mushrooms | Suspenseful Ending! >
Can anything top the last episode of Freaks and Geeks? | 17 comments (17 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
B1 is useful if she needs introducing... by Metatone (4.00 / 2) #1 Tue Dec 03, 2013 at 01:45:54 PM EST
to rules and concepts of the game, otherwise it's more interesting to start with B2.

B2 is a good starter IMO, better than jumping ahead too quick.

I do have fond memories of B2 by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #2 Tue Dec 03, 2013 at 02:01:55 PM EST
as that's the starter module I played with many times.

I was going to say the same thing by MartiniPhilosopher (4.00 / 2) #3 Tue Dec 03, 2013 at 03:07:11 PM EST
And it's also good as it lets the players do a bit of exploring of the rules if they're not entirely familiar with them.

Aye Aye by Gedvondur (4.00 / 1) #4 Tue Dec 03, 2013 at 03:49:15 PM EST
B2 is the tikkit.

"...it isn't like I dug up her great-grandmother and fucked her in the eye socket." - clock
Wireless With Pictures by Vulch (4.00 / 1) #5 Tue Dec 03, 2013 at 04:10:18 PM EST
Supernatural ran over here for a while. I watched a few but never felt motivated to flag it for watching.

The 50th anniversary Who was generally excellent. A huge amount of fan-service right the way through but still emminently watchable by those wondering what the continuous overhead wooshing was.

Supernatural by WeAreZombies (4.00 / 2) #6 Tue Dec 03, 2013 at 04:12:17 PM EST
Scooby Doo is for kids and stoners
Supernatural is Scooby Doo for adults and alcoholics

_____________
WeAreZombies

What if you like drink and pipeweed? by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #7 Tue Dec 03, 2013 at 08:32:11 PM EST
Asking for a friend.

Watch both? by WeAreZombies (4.00 / 1) #15 Wed Dec 04, 2013 at 11:22:01 AM EST

The rules were clearly stated.

WIPO: something, something, demi-lich, something by ammoniacal (4.00 / 1) #8 Tue Dec 03, 2013 at 11:17:37 PM EST
That'll get those impure thoughts out of her head FOR EVER.

tomb of horrors? by wumpus (4.00 / 2) #12 Wed Dec 04, 2013 at 08:41:05 AM EST
A great start for DMs who only want to prepare a few rooms. Players who have been to S1 will take an hour of searching before moving 10'.

Wumpus

Hommlett by jimgon (4.00 / 2) #9 Wed Dec 04, 2013 at 06:14:32 AM EST
 Not TOEE, but the original The Village of Hommlett. Allows for both role plaing and rules learning. To run the moat house you really need a party, but the village itself is good.

---------------
IIRC, B2 leads right into Against the Giants by wiredog (4.00 / 1) #10 Wed Dec 04, 2013 at 07:45:43 AM EST
G1-3, then the Evil Elves series, then the spider queen. If any characters are alive after that one you can go back to twister.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Are you thinking the T series, Temple of Elemental by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #11 Wed Dec 04, 2013 at 08:17:18 AM EST
Evil?

The B series are still in the basic D&D vein, player levels capped at 3, demi-humans don't have classes, no multi-classes.

Probably by wiredog (4.00 / 1) #16 Wed Dec 04, 2013 at 12:11:49 PM EST
It's been a few decades...

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

we don't need no stinkin' modules... by iGrrrl (4.00 / 1) #13 Wed Dec 04, 2013 at 09:31:56 AM EST
I hated playing with modules, but then cue old-fart music I started playing before there were hardbound books.

We're in Season 5 or 6 of Supernatural, I think. I like the show and it works, imo, because the acting is actually very good.

"Beautiful wine, talking of scattered everythings"
(and thanks to Scrymarch)

In a better world by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #14 Wed Dec 04, 2013 at 09:53:15 AM EST
I'd take the time to create an adventure, but I don't have the time.

I know I started with the softbound basic set, but I don't know if the hard cover sets were out by then. This would have been in the early 80's.

The kids are up to season 7 or 8 of Supernatural on Netflix, I don't know if they're dvr'ing the current season though.

I get that by iGrrrl (4.00 / 1) #17 Wed Dec 04, 2013 at 02:08:15 PM EST
It just always seemed like the DM had to force the plot in a module.

"Beautiful wine, talking of scattered everythings"
(and thanks to Scrymarch)