Print Story Christmas Poll
Fishies
By gzt (Thu Dec 26, 2013 at 10:10:34 AM EST) gzt, sniffles, winterval (all tags)
How many of you do the whole crackers-and-paper-crowns thing for Christmas? Update [2013-12-26 16:41:25 by gzt]: Now actually has a poll.

Also, what did you eat?

I had ham and we do not do crackers and such. Our behavior is mostly German-filtered-through-Midwest. In short, eat a ham or a large bird.

I got the wifing unit a book about fairies and she was very happy.

I have the sniffles.

Church at times was laboriously slow. Used to a brisk choir. Still, it was good.

< Mikhail Kalashnikov dies aged 94 | I don't know, I've never kippled >
Christmas Poll | 19 comments (19 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
No poll? by theboz (4.00 / 1) #1 Thu Dec 26, 2013 at 11:14:26 AM EST
I would have answered yes, but being a mix of several cultures that is one that came through my grandmother from Northern Ireland.  Normally she and my aunt send them to us through the mail, or I go to a local British store to get them, but this year was more of a minimalistic Christmas so we didn't do as much stuff as normal, including the crackers.
- - - - -
i added a poll by gzt (2.00 / 0) #3 Thu Dec 26, 2013 at 11:47:08 AM EST
there you go

Thanks, and for a bonus by theboz (4.00 / 2) #10 Thu Dec 26, 2013 at 06:01:29 PM EST
I selected both pork and tacos, since we had cochinita pibil.
- - - - -
Prime rib by georgeha (4.00 / 5) #2 Thu Dec 26, 2013 at 11:20:23 AM EST
We fought a war to get away from those crackers and crowns.

and now we've entered... by gzt (2.00 / 0) #4 Thu Dec 26, 2013 at 11:48:28 AM EST
...the "my mother is sitting around singing along to handel's messiah" portion of the holiday.

cannot escape the turkey by clover kicker (2.00 / 0) #5 Thu Dec 26, 2013 at 12:45:36 PM EST
I tried to talk people into something else but apparently it absolutely must be turkey.

WIPO by Gedvondur (2.00 / 0) #6 Thu Dec 26, 2013 at 01:06:26 PM EST
Steak.  Porterhouse, or tenderloin or New York Strip.

Also, mashed potatoes, pineapple fluff, and mushrooms.

Beer, wine, and Kringle Cream, and Scotch.

"...it isn't like I dug up her great-grandmother and fucked her in the eye socket." - clock
Ate with my wife's brothers and in-laws yesterday by lm (2.00 / 0) #7 Thu Dec 26, 2013 at 02:17:57 PM EST
We did the crackers and crowns thing. It was the first time I've ever seen them.

Cicero, The Republic
WIPO: Anonimouse by anonimouse (2.00 / 0) #8 Thu Dec 26, 2013 at 02:38:04 PM EST
Christmas is traditionally the time when anonimouse is firmly responsible for preparing a meal.

Main course, select from:
Roast Lamb in Orange and Rosemary glaze
Pork with Black Pepper and Sea Salt
Garlic Chicken

Roast and Mash potato
Medley of vegetables (Sprouts, Carrots, Parsnips, Peas, Sweetcorn)

Choice of Orange or Onion Gravy

No crackers or turkey in sight. Also did not eat the Christmas pudding due to food overload.

Girls come and go but a mortgage is for 25 years -- JtL
Jebusmas by jimgon (2.00 / 0) #9 Thu Dec 26, 2013 at 03:49:53 PM EST
Turkey, no crackers, no crowns, presents, limited booze and Doctor Who.  Wasn't impressed by Doctor Who this year.

---------------
Had a bit of a different Christmas this year by TheophileEscargot (2.00 / 0) #11 Fri Dec 27, 2013 at 02:55:31 AM EST
With my parents we always did the crackers and paper hats. This Christmas was just me, B and baby so didn't seem much point, though we did it at the work Christmas party.

B is German/Polish and had never heard of crackers till last year. This year she thought I'd gone completely insane when I told her I was about to set fire to the Christmas pudding, and retreated to the other side of the room as I poured a tiny quantity of brandy on top.

Oh, also by TheophileEscargot (2.00 / 0) #12 Fri Dec 27, 2013 at 02:58:25 AM EST
A decade or two ago I thought North Americans had no idea what crackers were. Sounds like the idea might be crossing the Atlantic.
I know a fair number of English by gzt (2.00 / 0) #14 Fri Dec 27, 2013 at 09:46:20 AM EST
and I hang out on this site, so I'm probably more in-the-know than average, but what prompted this question was seeing them on Doctor Who and seeing, on facebook, pictures of some people I know (who I don't think are of the English persuasion) wearing crowns, so I was wondering how pervasive it is, both in USia and UKia and everywhere else.

Crackers by jimgon (2.00 / 0) #16 Sat Dec 28, 2013 at 09:22:48 AM EST
Most Americans don't know about the crackers and crowns thing.  They will see it in English movies or television and not understand it.  Out little community here on HuSi is transnational so out of sorts with the rest of the US.  I think that more or less makes the HuSi Americans Canadian.

---------------
Crowns and crackers by Scrymarch (2.00 / 0) #13 Fri Dec 27, 2013 at 08:31:50 AM EST
Prawn and mango salad, cold cut turkey, some other sorts of walnut and grape salad things, some grog, caramel tarts, profiteroles, ice cream. No Dr Who, ended up watching some English animated movie called Arthur Christmas which was much less awful than I feared.

Iambic Web Certified

seriously british family by misslake (2.00 / 0) #15 Fri Dec 27, 2013 at 10:29:58 AM EST
my mother's side strongly identifies as british.
crackers and crowns all the way. also, occasionally on new year's day dinner too.
we've always had crackers.
sometimes they are put into the tree, sometimes set on the table.

they had turkey, ni and i had veggie lasagna.

Well by Herring (2.00 / 0) #17 Sun Dec 29, 2013 at 01:55:42 PM EST
I had serious cooking this year.

Prior to the event I produced a traditional pudding and a cake. Christmas eve, cooked gammon (ham) with peas pudding and stuff. Christmas day cooked turkey with the back and sausages, roast veg, sprouts etc. then steamed the pudding.

Wine was had crackers, paper hats etc.

I'm all cooked out.

christ, we're all old now - StackyMcRacky

WTF do you mean by crowns and crackers? by barooo (2.00 / 0) #18 Tue Dec 31, 2013 at 11:01:52 AM EST
Will google.

For us, it's a mix.

If it were up to me:

Goose, good wine, mincemeat pie or possibly lemon meringue, spice cookies or speculoos.

Teh wife and her family:

Ham (which to me is for easter), good wine, pumpkin and pecan pie (which to me is only for thanksgiving), sugar cookies.

The "what cookies are traditional" question might be interesting.

man, i need a beefy taco now.
-gzt