Print Story non-holed stuff
Software
By gzt (Tue Nov 26, 2013 at 11:38:12 PM EST) gzt, christmas, family guy, dr who, doctor who, sovereign citizen (all tags)
though i will mention that programming is annoying sometimes. the rest of that is holiary.

things I do instead of working:

somebody pointed me to some great "shred" videos. A lot of them are over-the-top rock videos, which are, like, whatever. it's so obvious, generally. but, Itzhak Perlman playing sloppily and out of tune? CHECK PLEASE.

So painful. I've mentioned elsewhere, I imagine this is what singing with me can be like.

I've also been reading a little bit about Sovereign Citizens. they're crazy nutters who believe incanting the right magic legal spells will free you from being under US law and make you essentially your own sovereign nation or something. And that, gasp, if they use a gold fringe on the flag in the court, they're a military or admiralty court instead of, like, a "common law" court or whatever the term is they want to be able to use. While (in my non-lawyer opinion) law is often about having the right magic words in the right place at the right time, their magic spells, unfortunately, not only don't work, but are completely frivolous. unfortunately, the people who go in for this stuff are often of the sort to lack the proper cognitive capacity to understand this and have strong reasons for wanting it to be true. so people are able to sell them this crap.

I've also spent some time watching Dr. Who. We not only watched the special when it came out, we watched the "Five Doctors" thing with Davison after - it was great and 100% worth the half hour and I believe it's still on the web - and we also went to a theater on Monday to see it in theaters in 3D.

i think they might be winding the series down. they have enumerated the doctors up to the limit, they have run up to his final resting place, and they have indicated what he has "always been going toward" - HOME. a big final mission, eh?

so Family Guy, which I don't really watch, killed off Brian. yikes. i watched it because, you know, brian.

< I managed to find my password | Woodchuck Night >
non-holed stuff | 12 comments (12 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Doctor Who by jimgon (2.00 / 0) #1 Wed Nov 27, 2013 at 06:21:34 AM EST
 If they end it, then JJ Abrams can do reboot with lots of "lens" flare.

also, the twelve regeneration rule was never a hard and fast rule.

---------------
Twelve by Vulch (2.00 / 0) #2 Wed Nov 27, 2013 at 09:13:22 AM EST
Brain of Morbius hinted that there were pre-Hartnell regenerations and also that the elixir from the flame of thingy gave extras, and as that's what McGann-Doctor drank to turn into Hurt-Doctor... And the boost from River Song...

Plus the Gallifrey council by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #3 Wed Nov 27, 2013 at 09:19:40 AM EST
can give out extra regenerations, if, for example, the Doctor frees them from their time bubble/lock/plot device.

I can't see the BBC killing such a reliable cash cow.

right, it isn't... by gzt (2.00 / 0) #8 Wed Nov 27, 2013 at 03:12:00 PM EST
...but i could see them saying, in maybe 3-4 more years, after winding these things out, that, you know, this has been a great cash cow, but we're running thin on ideas and we've been going for a decade, we could give it a rest for a bit.

yeah, it's not a hard-and-fast rule. i much prefer the idea of it being completely biologically/cosmologically based, as if gallifreyan dictates have anything directly to do with it, no gallifrey should mean no regeneration. so that should make "granting additional regenerations" impossible, but having something odd biologically or cosmologically going on - sole remaining TARDIS in the world means it has more energy and that's what really fuels things, or something like that.

Brian by anonimouse (4.00 / 1) #4 Wed Nov 27, 2013 at 12:05:29 PM EST
...was the only real reason for watching

Girls come and go but a mortgage is for 25 years -- JtL
U mad that, as a freeman on the land, by nathan (4.00 / 2) #5 Wed Nov 27, 2013 at 02:13:45 PM EST
I tapped the US governmental corporation's $630,000 account backed by my corporate fictitious personhood as noted on my so-called "birth certificate"?

THIS POST IS THE SOLE LEGAL PROPERTY OF ACCOUNTHOLDER [B]NATHAN[/B] OF THE SITE [B][I]HUSI[/I][/B].

U mad that, as a freeman on the land, by nathan (4.00 / 1) #6 Wed Nov 27, 2013 at 02:15:45 PM EST

THIS POST IS THE SOLE LEGAL PROPERTY OF ACCOUNTHOLDER NATHAN OF THE SITE HUSI.

In other news, I'm glad to hear you're coming around to my POV on the question of cognitive capacity...

one thing that makes me wonder... by gzt (2.00 / 0) #7 Wed Nov 27, 2013 at 02:59:57 PM EST
...is 630K supposed to be a lot? i mean, it's a good first-order approximation of the value of your SS and Medicare. So... not much, really, especially if you're hoping to tap into it and still live a life of marginal poverty in your old age (as opposed to crippling and grueling poverty if you don't have SS and Medicare funds).

anyway, apparently they have variants of this in Canada and England! with minor modifications - no need to complain about British law and the Declaration of Independence if you're in Britain, for instance. i saw, like, a 180 page thingie by a canadian judge ripping apart a 'freeman on the land'.

Say what you like about freemen by gmd (2.00 / 0) #9 Wed Nov 27, 2013 at 03:29:57 PM EST
But acts are not laws. They are given their legitimacy by consent of the governed.

gmd - HuSi's second most dimwitted overprivileged user.
i don't know what distinction you're making by gzt (2.00 / 0) #10 Wed Nov 27, 2013 at 03:42:23 PM EST
and this government does have the consent of the governed.

Sovereign Citizens by ucblockhead (4.00 / 2) #11 Wed Nov 27, 2013 at 04:01:57 PM EST
The people who believe this apparently don't entirely understand how the US government treats other "sovereign nations" it is annoyed with.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
yeah, dr who is circling the drain. by the mariner (2.00 / 0) #12 Sun Dec 01, 2013 at 01:51:00 PM EST
it's been in dire straits for a long time though. i haven't really liked the show since billie piper left, although david tennant was occasionally enough to pull off a good episode. introducing new apparently super important characters (the doctor's wife?) suddenly is pretty ridiculous and desperate.

i don't get the family guy thing. of course, this is the only thing i've heard about family guy in years, so it could be they're just digging their claws into the walls of the simpsons hole. if they had killed chris, at least they would've made the show better.

non-holed stuff | 12 comments (12 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback