Print Story I managed to find my password
By sugar spun (Mon Nov 25, 2013 at 11:02:43 AM EST) (all tags)
so I guess I should update.

My two main bits of news have already been passed on via my husband, but here they are: my son was born in September, and my father is dying. And speaking of my husband, he's in intensive care. So menfolk-wise, it's a mixed bag.

My son is amazing. He smiles widest for his sister, who never fails to amaze me with her energy and intelligence and creativity. She loves her brother madly and has to be dissuaded from kissing him every moment he's awake. Those tiny baby nails are sharp, but it doesn't deter her.

We travelled to the UK to see my dad the week before last. He was weak and old. I was expecting weak and sick, but old took me by surprise. He gave me the things he was leaving me in the will. I sobbed like a baby; so did he. I'm going to miss him. The tradition of the Jaffa Cake tree, the tree that miraculously sprouts delicious cookies when grandchildren visit, had to be suspended: he was too weak to walk to the end of the garden.

And then my husband. He was thrashing around in pain when the glorious Big Kid came bouncing into the bedroom on Saturday morning. It was still dark as I called the ambulance, still dark as they came rushing in and I vacated the bedroom, taking both kids with me and feeding them breakfast as I tried to downplay the seriousness of having actual ambulance people in the house. One brought in the defib bag; another a little ECG machine. The third asked me questions about medications and seemed aggrieved that I didn't know all the answers. I'm not the one taking them, dude, this is everything I know. And they took him off on the trolley, cursing as they ran into our trick paving stone.

I spoke to him on the phone briefly before they operated. He billed it as "exploratory surgery", and I think they downplayed to him as he did to me. I wasn't too stressed until I called the hospital and they told me he was in intensive care and "stable, bur serious". I'm well-practised at packing his hospital bag, so off we went the following afternoon, our little humans and I, to deliver it. They wouldn't let the kids in. I had to leave my two-month-old son in the arms of a nurse who put on a sterile gown for the purpose.  His older sister stayed there too, talking the nurse's ear off about ballet (she's been to one class, it pissed her off because she didn't have a tutu or special shoes). The patient was yellowish green and covered in tubes: NG, central line, arterial line, the undignified tube. It's never been so scary before, and I am feeling the way I feel about my dad and wondering whether my kids will be old enough to feel like this by the time they are where I am.

I'm afraid for all of us.

Edit: I should make it clear that the defib bag went unused; the ECG reading was fairly impressive. Lovely unremarkable heartrate - the problem was slightly lower.

< Password Lost | non-holed stuff >
I managed to find my password | 21 comments (21 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Jesus. by toxicfur (4.00 / 4) #1 Mon Nov 25, 2013 at 11:34:17 AM EST
I've typed several things into this box, and they all sound trite and ridiculous, so I've deleted them. Mostly, I just want you to know that I'm thinking of you, and I do hope that BD stops with this ridiculous hospital and serious illness nonsense very soon.

I'm so sorry about your dad. I'm so happy about your son (and that his sister adores him).

Peace be with all of you.

Son of a bitch by Gedvondur (2.00 / 0) #2 Mon Nov 25, 2013 at 11:35:07 AM EST
You tell him that I'm pulling for him.  My best thoughts to him and to your family.  It is extremely scary and hard during these times.  Be strong and tell him I got more fish songs for him.

"So I will be hitting the snatch hard, I think, tonight." - gzt
Sorry to hear. by ana (4.00 / 1) #3 Mon Nov 25, 2013 at 11:37:34 AM EST
You and yours are in my thoughts and prayers.

Big hug by LoppEar (4.00 / 1) #4 Mon Nov 25, 2013 at 11:59:09 AM EST
and strength to pull through for all of you.

Fuck by hulver (4.00 / 2) #5 Mon Nov 25, 2013 at 12:18:39 PM EST
I'm sorry about your Dad. And you tell that fucker BD to get better soon.
Cheese is not a hat. - clock
Wow by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #6 Mon Nov 25, 2013 at 12:18:49 PM EST
That's rough, I'm hoping for the best.

What toxicfur said by FlightTest (4.00 / 3) #7 Mon Nov 25, 2013 at 12:21:09 PM EST
Hard to type anything here that doesn't sound trite.  We're thinking of you and your family, please take care of yourself as well, I know that's so very hard in times like these, but so very important as well.

What FlightTest said [n/t] by Herring (2.00 / 0) #8 Mon Nov 25, 2013 at 01:45:48 PM EST

christ, we're all old now - StackyMcRacky
Rule's the same all over: blonde docs suck by BadDoggie (4.00 / 4) #9 Mon Nov 25, 2013 at 06:17:51 PM EST
 TV has been taken away as one does to a small child

I ate'nt dead yet, sorry for the scare, this phone is ass for writing.

If anyone tells you diclofenac has no overdose, punch him for us both. That & brutal coughing put me here for repairs to tears, mainly duodenal. I do look bad but recovery is going quickly and well, if not painfully. Blondie just opened her mouth to be a cunt  again and neighbour agreed.

I should be in a regular room by Wed. & home next week w/ a nifty new  scar. Since surgery was ostensibly exploratory I asked them to cut horizontally so we would sorta match. I got double verts  instead. At last most here are good, attentive , & responsive.

woof.

Cock sauce goes with everything! -- Gedvondur

Glad you're okay by ana (2.00 / 0) #10 Mon Nov 25, 2013 at 07:15:58 PM EST
kinda sorta mostly.

Get more okay really soon now, y'hear?

Get better, you! by clock (2.00 / 0) #12 Mon Nov 25, 2013 at 08:47:46 PM EST
This is nuts.  NUTS!

We're pulling for you.  Now make with the healing and shit!

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

Googled it and by dev trash (2.00 / 0) #14 Mon Nov 25, 2013 at 09:54:54 PM EST
Got to the part where it can poison vultures.  Vultures!

I DON'T CARE ABOUT YOUR BALLS! ->clock
Squawk by Vulch (4.00 / 2) #18 Tue Nov 26, 2013 at 08:41:26 AM EST
And thud.

Glad to hear it by jimgon (2.00 / 0) #16 Tue Nov 26, 2013 at 06:14:25 AM EST
 Speedy recovery.

---------------
Bad Doggie! by ucblockhead (4.00 / 1) #20 Tue Nov 26, 2013 at 10:17:38 AM EST
No biscuit!  Stop chasing balls into the hospital!

Seriously, dude, get better.  We're pulling for you.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman

Diclofenac by Herring (2.00 / 0) #21 Wed Nov 27, 2013 at 01:55:07 PM EST
yeah, I've been given it for gout and it's not kind to the digestive system. I don't think any of the COX-2 inhibitors are.

Good luck.

christ, we're all old now - StackyMcRacky

Very much love to you all. by ambrosen (4.00 / 1) #11 Mon Nov 25, 2013 at 07:31:21 PM EST
So sorry for you about your dad. I hope all goes well with you and your family getting the best goodbyes you can have and making his last days the best you can.

And every best wish I can offer for BD. It's a bugger, as I'm sure you know, being where he is, but as the patient at least everybody's working their asses off to make things better for you. For you, there's nothing anyone can do. Stay strong. Thinking of you all.

So sorry... by clock (4.00 / 1) #13 Mon Nov 25, 2013 at 08:48:59 PM EST
About all of it.  We're thinking about you.  Take care of yourself and your beautiful children.  And that BD character too.

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

Whoah, just... by iGrrrl (4.00 / 1) #15 Mon Nov 25, 2013 at 11:35:21 PM EST
Yeah. Thinking of you. What tf said.

"Beautiful wine, talking of scattered everythings"
(and thanks to Scrymarch)

Chin up by jimgon (4.00 / 1) #17 Tue Nov 26, 2013 at 06:16:52 AM EST
 Make sure you express yourself to people who listen to help with the stress.  I hope you too have a speedy recovery from this episode of hardship and stress.

---------------
So by Scrymarch (4.00 / 4) #19 Tue Nov 26, 2013 at 09:11:20 AM EST
So, congratulations, actually.

My brain doesn't quite believe it, but scoop still tells me it was 2011 last time you posted, probably you stuffed some stuff in the hole in the meantime, but I am still pretty sure I haven't said directly to you: congratulations on the birth of your boy. That's awesome.

The other stuff is awful. I'm so sorry.

But it's grand to at least see BD wrangling the phone again below.

The thing about a jaffa cake tree is lovely. I'm sorry about your Dad too.

Jesus I can't even make it through the emotional rollercoaster of this comment, buggered if I know how you're managing it real life, you must be a freaking superstar.

Iambic Web Certified